sa160002 is offline New Member

Best "alternate" movements for Bad Back

I have been training for a while but have recently hurt my lower back (Herniated disk L4-L5). I have always favored the big five exercises to be the core of my workouts (Bench, Deads, Squats, Militarys, Rows). Since my back has become a problem, Deads and Squats Kill me the next day. Does anyone have good suggestions for Alternate movements? Or are there other techniques that could take the stress off my lower back? Any help would be appreciated.

HawaiianPride. is offline AR's Think Tank
    I would replace any movement that involves core stability. Did your Doctor give you the OK to train right now?

Yes

My Doc said that I could resume activity but to be careful and use common sense. "If it hurts you, don't do it". So, being a man, I did it and it hurt. Deads don't hurt until the next day or two but I also don't do them heavy like I used to. Squat are the same. LegPress on the sled are ok and don't cause pain but I don't get the same pump. Any other thoughts are appreciated.

smokethedays is offline Veni, Vedi, Vici.
    Blog Entries
    Oh man, I got the same injury with worse consequences tho

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HawaiianPride. View Post
    I would replace any movement that involves core stability. Did your Doctor give you the OK to train right now?
    Are you kidding me man?!!
    Doing that will send this guy to endless stream of surgeries
    Taking the pain now and creating a solid rock core is crucial now.

So you are telling me a guy with a previously herniated disk would be fine doing back/front squats, deadlifts, bb rows, and any other movement recruiting the lower back/core? How is my suggestion going to harm him?

Blog Entries
    My L5 is dead and pushed in 9 mm's. so its in a very bad position. as a result of car accident and weights.
    The Dr said not to this not to that...blah blah blah
    to me it seemed like the Dr is just tryin' to help with the pain which I didn't care for.
    I needed a solution to jump back in the gym, cuz after the accident I had a hard time standing up!!

I started with Yoga and stretches, then moved into hardcore abs training
    Then started copying gymnastists core training over the pull up bar.
    Now I can run 6 miles, play soccer for 2 hrs, leg press 700 lbs, lift 100lbs with my core (leg lifts) and the Dr is in disbelieve!!!

Try the Sun Salutation Yoga exercise, will help a lot with pain if done properly.

Good luck

Dukkit is offline Vitamin Enhanced Sociopathic Post Whore
    i have disc problems also.

ive gone to using other exercises...

try...
    barbell hack squats (youtube it if you dont know how or what it is)
    db squats
    smith machine lunges
    1 legged leg presses. (can we say burn?)
    -Ive found those dont put the weight on your neck/traps so you dont feel that weight, compression down your spine. which def helps with the pain. and hack squats give one hell of a pump

for back i hit up hard core pullups. all variations.
    shit load of cable work
    -also ive just found that under the bar pull ups are great to replace the barbell rows.
    i use the smith mach and lay on the floor, on my back. set the bar just out of reach of my arms extended. then grasp and keep your body straight as a board and do pull ups till the bar hits your center chest. same movement as a barbell row. just reversed. def works the back. you can throw a weight on your stomach or put your legs on a bench to increase the difficulty

i also work my core with planks, supermans, and various stretches

Blog Entries
    So you are telling me a guy with a previously herniated disk would be fine doing back/front squats, deadlifts, bb rows, and any other movement recruiting the lower back/core? How is my suggestion going to harm him?
    No I didn't say that.
    You advised him to stay away from core training, it is the opposite, core is what he needs, Im talking out of experience not text book, I have a worse injury than his.

Squats, deadlifts and standing HEAVY rows are completely out of question. I can do everything else with heavy weights and probs

Quote Originally Posted by smokethedays View Post
    No I didn't say that.
    You advised him to stay away from core training, it is the opposite, core is what he needs, Im talking out of experience not text book, I have a worse injury than his.

Squats, deadlifts and standing HEAVY rows are completely out of question. I can do everything else with heavy weights and probs
    My suggestion wasn't a permanent one. It was temporary due to the fact that he recently injured himself. He should at least limit his trunk stabilization by doing supine bridges or any of the various plank type movements. For back recrution he should stick to equipment that doesn't excessively stress his core fibers, same with the rest of his lower half.

However, I understand how vital it is for him to regain his strength in this area for obvious reasons, but to jump back in the pool with two feet without remember how to swim is risky business in his case. He already stressed it was bothersome even using lighter weights. He needs to take it slow. That was the whole idea behind my first post.

Blog Entries
    My suggestion wasn't a permanent one. It was temporary due to the fact that he recently injured himself. He should at least limit his trunk stabilization by doing supine bridges or any of the various plank type movements. For back recrution he should stick to equipment that doesn't excessively stress his core fibers, same with the rest of his lower half.

However, I understand how vital it is for him to regain his strength in this area for obvious reasons, but to jump back in the pool with two feet without remember how to swim is risky business in his case. He already stressed it was bothersome even using lighter weights. He needs to take it slow. That was the whole idea behind my first post.
    REad my post you will see that I said he needs to start with YOGA not weights.
    I know what I'm talking about, been dealing with this crap for 3 years now.

Just did. When I typed my last note I didn't review it.

now lets all *bro hug* it out

I refuse! No bromance!

On the real, we both have good intentions towards the OP. That's what matters.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dukkitdalaw View Post
    now lets all *bro hug* it out

lol

thank you, I will try some version of all of them. Great suggestions. I think stretching and flexibility is key for healing/relieving the back pain and certainly building up the Core will help stabilize everything else. I know there is no "one" perfect solution but this definitely helped give me some ideas. Thank you again. So Mental "Bro" hug to dukkitdalaw, and a manly "fist-bump pound" to HawiianPride

Thread Information