LawMan018 is offline Senior Member

Elevated Squats?

So, awhile back I saw a friend squatting with plates underneath his heels and I just thought that would put extra strain on your knees so I just blew it off as another fad. However... I was scanning throught the Encyclopedia of Modern Bodybuilding and came across the Squat section where Arnold describes how he sometimes had to do the same thing because his torso was so long it put a lot of extra strain on his lower back to do it regularly, unlike Tom Platz who because of his height was naturally built for regular squats.
    I tried it today, after being out of the gym for a few days because of the flu. It felt amazing! I didn't feel the strain I normally do on my lower back and I was able to lift just as much as I had back when I was at my strongest with my legs. And after getting done, my back felt great still, I felt I could have done deadlifts as well but didn't want to overdo it.
    I just wanted to share with you guys my experience and how I'm going to incorporate it every time I squat now. Anyone else out there try this?

BgMc31 is offline Anabolic Member
    Lots of bodybuilders do this because it puts extra emphasis on the quads. Oly lifters squat this way as well except the shoes they wear have a solid heal on them. You must be a relatively close stance squatter. If you are a wide stance squatter this is bad for the knees. But if you are a high bar, close stance, oly style squatter, this is good. Check out some oly lifters on youtube and notice their footwear.

CFforged is offline Junior Member
    Love my lifting shoes

I may need to invest in a pair. I wish I could have been turned onto this sooner ,I had no idea. Could you do the same for deadlifts as well?

BgMc31 is offline Anabolic Member
    I wouldn't suggest doing this with conventional deads as they place the weight too far out in front of you and putting addtional strain on the back. Oly lifters don't do conventional deads, they do Romanian deads. I guess they could be used on deads but I don't think I'd recommend it. Even though I've seen some Oly greats pull 7 0 0 lbs + But you've got to remember, Oly lifters have very high volume, very intense regimented workouts. So duplicating their schemes are difficult without proper supervision and coaching. We're talking about pulling and squatting 12-15 times a week. Often 2, sometimes 3 times a day.

BigBuck6 is offline Associate Member
    Being so tall I almost always use plates under my heels for that same reason. The only time I don't is when I am in wide leg powerlifting squat stance.

goodlifting is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LawMan018 View Post
    I may need to invest in a pair. I wish I could have been turned onto this sooner ,I had no idea. Could you do the same for deadlifts as well?
    you could use the wedged heal type shoes for deadlifts. i'm an oly lifter and do it all the time. just take into consideration the fact that you'll need to change your pull slightly because of the elevated heal.

i use the lifting shoes primarily because of stability in squat movements. the elevated heal keeps me more stable at the bottom and helps keep the torso in the correct position.

but hayl yeah, man. buy a pair of shoes. it'll be a great investment for your lifting.

frawnz is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I've always had really tight achilles tendons, which makes my heel come off the ground when I squat deep. Using a board or plate under my heels makes a huge difference in stability for me.

KeyMastur is offline VET
    Quote Originally Posted by CFforged View Post
    Love my lifting shoes
    i squat barefoot...

I don't wear them for deads, they tend to make me lean forward. I usually won't wear them for back squats either, I go barefoot for those. But for all o-lifting, front squats and overhead squats they are a must.

KeyMastur is offline VET
    Quote Originally Posted by CFforged View Post
    I don't wear them for deads, they tend to make me lean forward. I usually won't wear them for back squats either, I go barefoot for those. But for all o-lifting, front squats and overhead squats they are a must.
    why are they a must ??? practically impossible to drop the weight on your toes

Quote Originally Posted by KeyMastur View Post
    why are they a must ??? practically impossible to drop the weight on your toes
    I have an o-lifting backgroud, thus my squat stance is very narrow and I squat super deep. The elevated heel is a must to protect my knees, not any kind of toe protection.

Thanks for all the helpful info guys. I can't believe I didn't know about this sooner. It has helped so much. I deadlifted today and for the first time my back isn't hurting at the end of my sets.

MACHINE5150 is offline "AR's Vanilla Gorilla"
    Quote Originally Posted by LawMan018 View Post
    Thanks for all the helpful info guys. I can't believe I didn't know about this sooner. It has helped so much. I deadlifted today and for the first time my back isn't hurting at the end of my sets.
    Isn't your back supposed to hurt after a proper set of Deadlifts?

Everything is sore after deads

goodlifting is offline Associate Member
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puMYk...eature=related

he would've gotten that double if he wasn't wearing shoes...stupid kenny.

Thread Information