FreeDOOM is offline Associate Member

Critique of work out please seem to be at plateau

Hi guys I was looking for a little work out advice. I have been lifting on and off for years and have been lifting steady 4 times a week for 7 months now. I have gained about 15lbs in that time and I weigh in at 185 at 5'11" tall. I seem to be at a impasse I seem to fluctuate around 185-190 and can not seem to break this barrier, ultimately I would like to break the 200 barrier with quality mass not fat. I know scale weight isnt everything I do have a bit of belly fat to lose. I would say if I lost about 5lbs of overall body fat I would have ripped abs. Here is my typical workout. This is not the only workout I have donw I have switche it up several times over the last several months. I feel concerned that I am not going any where maybe over training? I have been reading Arnolds bodybuilding book and he recommends about this many sets per body part 2 or even 3 times a week, granted in the advanced workouts he splits it into morning and evening workouts. My flat bench specifical feels like it is shit when I first got back into lifting I would do 6 sets per body part training whole body twice a week and i could do 275 four times now it is hard to do it once. Also I want to incorporate deadlifts what day would be best? any changes to routine, sets ect.. advice appericated.

Day 1 Legs
    5 sets squats from 185 to 275lbs
    5 sets of leg presses up to 450lbs
    5 sets leg ext
    5 sets stiff deads up to 205lbs
    5 sets rev leg curl
    5 sets Toe presses
    5 sets calf raises

Day 2 Back Shoulders Biceps
    Pullups until I hit 50 reps total. As of now 15 on first set then usually like 10 or 9 for rest of sets
    5 sets of rows either cable or a variation
    5 sets of pulldowns
    5 sets of BB shrugs and DB shrugs
    5 Sets BB press up to 175
    5 Sets arnold presses up to 60lbs
    5 sets of side raises
    5 sets rear delts
    5 sets bb curl up to 85lbs
    4 sets preacher
    4 sets db curl

Day 3 Chest Tri forearms
    5 sets incline bench up to 215
    5 sets flat bench up to 245
    5 sets db flys or press
    5 sets incline cable press downs
    5 sets seated ez curl behind neck ext
    4 sets kickbacks
    5 sets reverse cursl
    5 sets forearm curls

Armykid93 is offline Productive Member
    Regarding deadlifts the best day to add those would be you're back day

Turkish Juicer is offline Knowledgeable Member
    What worked for Arnold doesn't mean it will work for you. As a matter of fact, his advised routine has not worked for many of us here.

Look into the training style high intensity training (HIT), which is quite different from high volume training (HVT). This style was implemented by some legendary names in the BB world like Mike Menzter and Dorian Yates, its philosophy being shorter workout sessions with drastically increased intensity and pressure on the muscle, only one session a day and maximum 5 days a week.

HIT is known to do a great job for lifters in terms of breaking plateaus.

Thread Information