JDaughtry is offline New Member

Squat Technique! NEED HELP ASAP!

Going to give a little background first.

- Weighed 389 pounds 2 years ago
    - Down to 215 now
    - Need to tone up
    - Baseball catcher for 10 years (8-18 years old)
    - Trying to change my posture( had horrible hunchback from slouching)

I have a very bad habit that i got from catching, every time i squat i get on my toes. I know you are suppose to have your heels on the ground for proper technique. Any idea's whats causing this ( I cant squat whatsoever on my heels)

Is it a balance issue? I remember when i played football sophomore year of high school i had the same problem. The lifting coach said maybe my calf's have no elasticity and needed to be stretched out( or something a long the lines of that)
    Last edited by JDaughtry; 06-16-2012 at 10:57 AM.

trschnei is offline Junior Member
    well, focus on keeping the heel planted. I have noticed alot of people that just are stacking too much weight and it causes them to lean forward to compensate in the squat. Be sure that youre low enough weight to go past the 90 and maintain heel contact then use your heals driving yourself upward.

mockery is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Please watching the starting strength squatting techniques videos, mark ripptoe knows his stuff with the big compound lifts. u will learn alot.

brobraham lincoln is offline New Member
    I've had a similar problem. I put two 10lb barbell plates spread shoulder width apart on the floor to elevate my heel while I squat. Helps a ton with balance. It's absolutely something that takes getting used to. Might help you out, try it. As far as squat form watching a video would probably be best.

drinkmilk is offline New Member
    You're most likely squatting on your toes because you spent years as a catcher in that exact position and its become second nature to you. Here's something that I've done that has helped me a ton with squatting and balance.... every single day, even if you don't hit the gym, take a second and get down to the bottom of a squat position and just chill there for a solid minute or two. If you go down on your toes start over and go back down. It might help to have a small flat stick or something under your heels which you can gradually lower until you can squat down on your heels with no problem. Its very important to have your weight on your heels which you will actually begin to feel when you do this daily. You can feel your entire hampstring, glute and hip all on tap and ready to be utilized for the squat

castiron is offline Associate Member
    squat barefoot. also focus on keeping your knees behind your toes when you go down, this will force your weight back on to your heels. If this doesnt work try to go to the low bar wide stance squat technique.

DeadlyD is offline Anabolic Member
    try light weight front squats, this will force your weight back to your heals and help your posture.

LILhotE is offline Female Member
    Quote Originally Posted by brobraham lincoln
    I've had a similar problem. I put two 10lb barbell plates spread shoulder width apart on the floor to elevate my heel while I squat. Helps a ton with balance. It's absolutely something that takes getting used to. Might help you out, try it. As far as squat form watching a video would probably be best.
    I would try using the barell plates... It helps. Also squat with flat shoes. Running shoes/athletic shoes are made to force your weight to the front of your feet and raise your heels.

Armykid93 is offline Productive Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LILhotE

I would try using the barell plates... It helps. Also squat with flat shoes. Running shoes/athletic shoes are made to force your weight to the front of your feet and raise your heels.
    I agree. I use converse high tops haha. They are cheap and flat as hell

Noles12 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Good info that I agree with has been posted here.

Flat shoes are a must. You do not want an arch while squatting.

Sitting back can feel awkward and like you may fall. I had the same problem and would end up squatting on my toes. I dropped the weights down and practiced pushing back to an extent to ensure my heels stayed planted. Front squat will basically force you to sit back more.

I have also found that the width and direction of your feet can play a big role in balance. Have your toes pointing slightly outward

Do not compromise form though. Learn proper techniques and practice it in a mirror or video tape your lift.

Armykid93 is offline Productive Member
    There's a Good 60 seconds of muscle video on YouTube for squats to I believe

JDaughtry is offline New Member
    Thanks for all the suggestions, i just bought a new pair of flat shoes (was wearing Nike running shoes) and also using plates. I had a buddy spot me while squatting on my heels with just the bar, it's definitely going to take some getting use cause it feels like i am going to fall over every time. Hopefully a couple weeks or so just working my technique and ill be squatting with proper form.

THANKS AGAIN!

Thread Information