Thread: athletes

aronjrsmil is offline Associate Member

athletes

What kind of lifting would help swimmers(sprinter)?

Macon_Bacon is offline Associate Member
    Swimming is more about technique than anything. Of course it is always good to have strong lats and shoulders. But if you do any research into what makes a swimmer fast it is technique, the better it is the less energy is expended which creates a more efficient use of effort. Also, do sh*t tons of flutter kicks out of the water. Your legs create most of the propulsion of any swim stroke.

auslifta is offline Retired MONITOR
    Without doubt technique first. But looking for explosive power for sprints try this regime...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6r3jYKsow5I

aronjrsmil is offline Associate Member
    that's a great routine. Tires are great for expolisiveness and brute strength. My coach had me jump on it, squat, jump in it and then dead lift.

G Lock is offline Banned
    Well speaking of JUST lifting I would say low rep training would be more beneficial especially for sprinters. Now for swimming I'm not sure what you are exactly doing are you just swimming to the end of the pool or doing laps?

Low rep training is for explosive power and strength, this will let you recruit more FAST TWITCH muscle fibers which are used for short burst of energy or movement.
    This would be great for sprinters because sprinting is not for endurance istead it is a short explosive movement.

Low reps 1-5 would probably be most to your benifit for sprinting.
    fast twitch muscle fibers burn fuel so you will get tired which is why its not good for endurance type training or sports where you might have to run a 5k lol.

Low reps high sets, try 1-5 reps 5-8 sets depending on how many exercises you plan on doing

for sprinting you want to do squats, lunges, box jumps, and lower body work with low reps to build up more fast twitch muscle fibers

If you are swimming short distances for speed it might help but for endurance its not very effective

speed, short explosive movements = low reps
    endurance = higher reps and slow twitch fibers

thefamily is offline New Member
    Although their is always sometype of resistance training with weights that can be benefitial to an athlete, no matter the sport...... and in your case there are in fact some lifts you can do to help "aid" your swimming..... but if you are an ATHLETE first & foremost and looks dont matter .... but performance does----- you can do much more than just "aid" your swimming by doing Band Work resistance training (ie- TRX bands, etc.)..... and with those covering all the muscles you need .... (ie- lats, low back, hip-flexors,etc, etc..)

castiron is offline Associate Member
    more swimming. then explosive lifts like cleans, clean jerk, tire flips, etc. also deadlifts and pullups!

Thread Information