baseline_9 is offline The Transformer ~VET~Recognized Staff Winner - $100

Knee wraps to protect your knees... Maybe not... (new study)

Wearing knee wraps affects mechanical output and performance characteristics of back squat exercise

Lake JP, Carden PJ, Shorter KA.
    Source
    Department of Sport and Exercise Sciences, University of Chichester, Chichester, United Kingdom.
    Abstract

ABSTRACT: Lake, JP, Carden, PJC, and Shorter, KA. Wearing knee wraps affects mechanical output and performance characteristics of back squat exercise. J Strength Cond Res 26(10): 2844-2849, 2012-The aim of this study was to investigate the effects of wearing knee wraps on mechanical output and performance characteristics of back squat exercise. Ten resistance trained men (back squat 1 repetition maximum [1RM]: 160.5 ± 18.4 kg) performed 6 single back squats with 80% 1RM, 3 wearing knee wraps, 3 without. Mechanical output was obtained from ground reaction force, performance characteristics from digitized motion footage obtained from a single high-speed digital camera. Wearing knee wraps led to a 39% reduction (0.09 compared with 0.11 m, p = 0.037) in horizontal barbell displacement that continued during the lifting phase. Lowering phase vertical impulse remained within 1% across conditions; however, the lowering phase was performed 45% faster (1.13 compared with 1.57 seconds). This demonstrated that vertical force applied to the center of mass during the lowering phase was considerably larger and was likely a consequence of the generation and storage of elastic energy within the knee wrap. Subsequent vertical impulse applied to the center of mass was 10% greater (192 compared with 169 N·s, p = 0.018). Mechanical work involved in vertically displacing the center of mass was performed 20% faster and was reflected by a 10% increase in peak power (2,121 compared with 1,841 W, p = 0.019). The elastic properties of knee wraps increased mechanical output but altered back squat technique in a way that is likely to alter the musculature targeted by the exercise and possibly compromise the integrity of the knee joint. Knee wraps should not be worn during the strength and condition process, and perceived weakness in the knee joint should be assessed and treated.

scorpion62 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I have had the cartilages remove from my knees ,I was squating heavy and the guy I was training with told me to use wraps as it would help me with the squat so I did and boy did it fvck me up for about three weeks I had knee pain you would'nt beleave so from that day forward I have'nt and I wont wear them, they were that tight they pushed the fluid behind my knees when I did the squat ,so I dont wear any type of wrap ever

pasha is offline Associate Member
    Good to know!

M302_Imola is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Just proves what I've always thought...knee wraps are a waste. I've squatted 405 lbs. for reps and never used knee wraps nor have I used them on the leg press.

Thread Information