cmoore0589 is offline New Member

Building muscle and running

So I have been bulking and seeing great strength and size gains I have been doing very minimal cardio as to not burn to many calories to promote the most growth how ever I went into the army recruiters office and they said ideally I could be in basic training in April I know at boot camp I will doing alot of running how can I condition myself to become a better runner while still building muscle and retaining size I would like to keep all my size gains and just lean up and be able to run 3 mild in 18 mins or less . What are my options and what would be my best option ? Thanks in advance

Lunk1 is offline aka "JOB"
    run, run then run somemore

If I'm still lifting and eating right will I retain all my gains? I have just ran before and became a very good runner but that was like three years ago before I got serious about lifting and I just looked sick ..... Not in a good way

Times Roman is offline Anabolic Member
    You are at a cross roads mate. When running, weight is the enemy. But you want to gain LBM and also improve your running time.

So it sounds like you need to make a decision and stick to it. Either focus on cardio and improving lung/weight ratios, or continue as you are. 3 miles in 18 minutes is something most can not do. It's a fairly decent pace.

Here's what I would do. I'd go with a cutting cycle, and hit cardio really hard. Continue until you do hit 3 miles in 18 minutes. You will lose lbm and pounds, but sometimes you gotta give if you want to get. Once you have hit your running goal, then you can start with a clean bulk, AND maintain your cardio/running times.

I don't see any other way to do it.

When i was in the army, I could regularly hit 2 miles in 9 and a half minutes or less. BUT i was only 160lbs, 85lbs less than what I weigh now.

your call, and your decision mate. let us know what you plan to do?

---Roman

evander87 is offline Senior Member
    Back when I played ball we were trying to grow and we were running all the time. Granted the longest sustained distance was just a mile but we ran way more than a few miles during practice. We were always trying to get bigger and stronger. My suggestion run run run, lift lift lift, and eat eat eat and then eat some more. Running, lifting, and eating with a calorie surplus you will grow.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum

Thanks for all the advice I'm not sure what exactly ill do but I know I'm going to start running like I said I want to retain all my newly found mass and strength and increase it too while getting faster and leaner ... **** it I'm disciplined ill get it done

kbronss is offline Junior Member
    your gonna loose a lot anyways once basic starts. u wont be eating well for the first weeks and all u will be doing is cardio. you'll loose plenty of weight and size before the pace loosens up a bit and u can regain your natural weight and keep it. i lost 15lbs in my first month of basic, then i gained 20. so all in all i just gained 5lbs. it also depends on your how long your basic is going to be too. if u are doing any type of combat, your AIT will be combined, so u will do about 18 weeks i believe, instead of the easy 8.

agree with the others your gonna lose alot in basic so you might as well start now......3 miles in 18 minutes is hard to do unless your conditioned. I'm 210 and pretty stocky so currently I'm doing 2 miles in 22 min, lol. Its not good I know but consider I'm doing this 3-4 times a week before my workouts and sometimes after not in the same day. I switch it up depending if I'm trying to burn alot of calories fasting or what not. Just saying, there is a price to pay to look good....just do it my friend. Be like Forest Gump and run forest run!!!!!

Thread Information