whynot960 is offline Associate Member

Workout questios

Hey guys I am thinking of getting on trt and starting to workout and diet and have a few questions

I am going to be 44 in june and I am 5'8-9" and weigh 255.I want to lift and do cardio but I dont want to be all about being all muscular just want to get leaner and be toned. how should I plan my workouts?
    would working out 4 times a week be good? lift for 45 min and then do 30 min. of cardio.
    how many reps should I stay around? any feedback would be greatly appreciated thanks..
    mike

CMB
    CMB is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by whynot960 View Post
    Hey guys I am thinking of getting on trt and starting to workout and diet and have a few questions

I am going to be 44 in june and I am 5'8-9" and weigh 255.I want to lift and do cardio but I dont want to be all about being all muscular just want to get leaner and be toned. how should I plan my workouts?
    would working out 4 times a week be good? lift for 45 min and then do 30 min. of cardio.
    how many reps should I stay around? any feedback would be greatly appreciated thanks..
    mike
    Welcome.

Ok, so you're looking to get into fitness. Great! Excellent move on your part.

For my clients who are just starting out this is a general routine I would recommend....

For beginners I recommend a 3 day split. You can rapidly advance to a 5 day split in a matter of months.

Day 1 -- Upper body (all upper body muscle groups including back, chest, deltoids(shoulders) + traps, triceps, biceps. For a begginer, I would train those muscles in that order.)
    rest
    Day 2 -- Lower body (all lower body muscle groups including quadriceps, glutes, hamstrings, adductors and abductors. Exercises like squats and leg press are great, follow them up with some hamstrings curls and lunges and you'll be good to go for a leg workout.)
    rest
    Day 3 -- Full body (including, quadriceps, glutes, hamstrings, back, chest.)
    rest then repeat.

You'd be amazed at what types of gains can be yielded from this training routine if you stuck to it and fed yourself as best you could.

As far as the repetitions go...
    For cutting purposes you should try to stick around 15 reps. Meaning you COULDN'T get a 16th rep with good form. Don't be afraid to go up to the 20 repetitions or down to the 12, but in general you should definitely try and stick around 15.

Try a 3 day split with 45 minutes of cardio after the resistance training. Stick to your diet on your off days as well. Results will come this much I promise.

Perhaps stick with this routine for 3 months, see what kind of results you'll obtain. I'm sure you will be satisfied.

Thread Information