Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Bio-Active
  • 1 Post By Buster Brown

Thread: Muscle soreness

MrFreshmaker is offline Productive Member

Muscle soreness

Hello folks.I am 39 years old and I've been training for 9 month now,6 days a week,at least 90 min per day.I have constant muscle soreness and little pain on each muscle i train.Is this a sign of over training?Should i reduce my workout or take more rest?
    Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Bio-Active is online now AR-Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by MrFreshmaker
    Hello folks.I am 39 years old and I've been training for 9 month now,6 days a week,at least 90 min per day.I have constant muscle soreness and little pain on each muscle i train.Is this a sign of over training?Should i reduce my workout or take more rest? Thanks in advance for any feedback.
    yes it is a sign of overtraining. I bet you could reduce your training to 4 days ew and if you want to go to the gym those other 2 days just walk on the treadmill

Quote Originally Posted by Bio-Active
    yes it is a sign of overtraining. I bet you could reduce your training to 4 days ew and if you want to go to the gym those other 2 days just walk on the treadmill
    Thanks for your reply Bio.My working schedule is like this now:
    Monday: Chest,triceps and cardio
    Tuesday: Back,biceps and cardio
    Wednesday: Sholders,legs and abs
    Thurday: Chest,triceps
    Friday: Back,biceps and cardio
    Saturday: sholders and abs.
    Sunday: Rest
    So if i work 4 days,how it tshould be my workout?Cuz i think every muscle should be trained twice a week.Btw for these 9 months,i have transformed my body from "fatty" to muscles.Thanks again

Thanks for your reply Bio.My working schedule is like this now: Monday: Chest,triceps and cardio Tuesday: Back,biceps and cardio Wednesday: Sholders,legs and abs Thurday: Chest,triceps Friday: Back,biceps and cardio Saturday: sholders and abs. Sunday: Rest So if i work 4 days,how it tshould be my workout?Cuz i think every muscle should be trained twice a week.Btw for these 9 months,i have transformed my body from "fatty" to muscles.Thanks again
    you could take out Thursday or Friday for sure. Take them both out and rearrange your training so you can have sat sun and we'd off. Then if you want to do just cardio those days you can. You will feel much better bro

Quote Originally Posted by Bio-Active
    you could take out Thursday or Friday for sure. Take them both out and rearrange your training so you can have sat sun and we'd off. Then if you want to do just cardio those days you can. You will feel much better bro
    Thanks a lot Bio,i think i'll do that.

Thanks a lot Bio,i think i'll do that.
    good luck brother! I bet you start making some gains again giving those muscles a bit more rest. Your cns will like you better too
    Bodacious likes this.

zempey is offline Anabolic Member
    If you still want to be in the gym more days, then you could reduce training to one body part per week for a while. I have never been able to train each part twice a week, there is just no way I could do it the way I train. Doing chest and shoulders twice a week is very hard to recover from if you hit them hard.
    I train 5 days out of 7
    Mon-back
    Tue-chest
    Wed-rest
    Thu-legs
    Fri-shoulders
    Sat-arms
    Sun-rest

My body is fried by Sunday, I look forward to each rest day to recover just enough to hit it hard the rest of the week. The key is to find what works best for you, sometimes you will try things and they will work, sometimes they won't.

Quote Originally Posted by zempey
    If you still want to be in the gym more days, then you could reduce training to one body part per week for a while. I have never been able to train each part twice a week, there is just no way I could do it the way I train. Doing chest and shoulders twice a week is very hard to recover from if you hit them hard. I train 5 days out of 7 Mon-back Tue-chest Wed-rest Thu-legs Fri-shoulders Sat-arms Sun-rest My body is fried by Sunday, I look forward to each rest day to recover just enough to hit it hard the rest of the week. The key is to find what works best for you, sometimes you will try things and they will work, sometimes they won't.
    Thanks Zempey.In fact i do train hard for each muscle,as i mentioned above,i workout everyday for at least 90 min,example bench press,i lift 150 kg,4 sets-10 reps.
    I like the way you do it by the way,i might try your way starting tomorrow,for a month,and see how it goes.

Buster Brown is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zempey View Post
    If you still want to be in the gym more days, then you could reduce training to one body part per week for a while. I have never been able to train each part twice a week, there is just no way I could do it the way I train. Doing chest and shoulders twice a week is very hard to recover from if you hit them hard.
    I train 5 days out of 7
    Mon-back
    Tue-chest
    Wed-rest
    Thu-legs
    Fri-shoulders
    Sat-arms
    Sun-rest

My body is fried by Sunday, I look forward to each rest day to recover just enough to hit it hard the rest of the week. The key is to find what works best for you, sometimes you will try things and they will work, sometimes they won't.
    This is a good split and what I like is the fact that he gives himself enough rest between chest and shoulders to reduce injury but still enable him to have a productive workout with each.

This split works well for me, I have tweaked it over the years to fit my needs at the time. I used to do 5 on 2 off but I need a mid week break now. I also swapped back and chest around, this gave more time between chest and shoulders, and mondays were always tough to get motivated for chest.

Quote Originally Posted by zempey View Post
    This split works well for me, I have tweaked it over the years to fit my needs at the time. I used to do 5 on 2 off but I need a mid week break now. I also swapped back and chest around, this gave more time between chest and shoulders, and mondays were always tough to get motivated for chest.
    Yeah.....I think 5 in a row are tough and you kinda start to run out of steam by the end of the week. I like taking a mid week day off and find my workouts to be more productive.
    Bodacious likes this.

Motardpdx is offline Associate Member
    Hi, each muscle group once every ten days, low reps/heavy weight.
    Quads/calves
    Rest
    Back/biceps
    Rest
    Hamstrings
    Rest
    Shoulders/traps
    Rest
    Chest/triceps
    Rest

Bodacious is offline Productive Member
    I would think you would wanna be sore the next day. You would know you worked your muscles. 3 or 4 days being sore I would say you over did that part.

I am curious to this subject also. I work my muscles once a week. Sore for a day or two every no matter what body part I work. It's going to be sore the next day. Is this a good thing or bad?

Any advice Bio or Buster?

bigrich4 is offline Associate Member
    You don't need to be sore to have worked out good. I rarely get sore anymore. Maybe if I do something real crazy but not usually. You are still new to working out.. Take it easy.

I am sore pretty much after every workout, especially if I push hard or lift heavier then the previous week. Even on cycle I am sore, just not as long usually.

Quote Originally Posted by Bodacious View Post
    I would think you would wanna be sore the next day. You would know you worked your muscles. 3 or 4 days being sore I would say you over did that part.

I am curious to this subject also. I work my muscles once a week. Sore for a day or two every no matter what body part I work. It's going to be sore the next day. Is this a good thing or bad?

Any advice Bio or Buster?
    There is nothing wrong with being sore and for a BB there is no better feeling. The argument here is do you have to be sore for a workout to be productive? The answer is no. There are alot of guys on the forum that train different ....some are PL's and some are BB's and some do a little of each. Pl's train lifts and there working sets can be triples or doubles. This is where guys add weight week to week to these lifts which shows that they are getting stronger and believe you need that rest between sets to recover and you are thoroughly spent when you leave the gym but you probably wont get the pump or the next soreness unless its a new exercise. BB's on the other hand have much more flexibility in there routine and can incorporate many different techniques that can turn a vanilla workout into a scorcher. Which one is better? That's a personal thang based on your goals. PL's train lifts and BB's train for hypertrophy soooooo there is more then one way to make progress.

bigrich4 is offline Associate Member
    Being sore from a good workout is one thing, but what he is describing sounds bad. Yes, getting sore is something that happens. But all the time? He needs a routine tweak imo

Quote Originally Posted by bigrich4 View Post
    Being sore from a good workout is one thing, but what he is describing sounds bad. Yes, getting sore is something that happens. But all the time? He needs a routine tweak imo
    Without actually seeing what he is doing I can't give him any further advice other then what we have all stated. If I were OP and I still have a hard time sorting it all out then I would advocate finding a big boy gym were someone can get him on track. Too many variables on a forum to really know.

Bodacious is offline Productive Member
    Thanks Buster I was JW. Good advice.

Thread Information