Sirbattos is offline New Member

Question about targetting Quads better

Hey guys an gals,

When I either squat or deadlift, feet usually either shoulder width or slightly more apart,
    I usually tire my hamstrings out more then my quads, the next day my hamstrings feel like i'll never walk again,
    where my quads feel like they havent had a workout at all. Are there any techniques that can put more of a focus on my quads
    or any different exercises that could help target my quads?

AR's King Silabolin is offline Castle Power
    Yes. I personally loved Rich Pianas tip on the subject and it works. Go to the hacksquatmachine. Put on belt and keep Your feet as Close as you can. Go deep, but end the motion rigth before your legs are straigth. More reps better results. I do 20-25 on my first set, den adding a plate til i reach 6 reps. But 30-40 reps would be better but its real torture. Your quads will burn like never before and it will give you thickness and a nice outer sweap.
    Last edited by AR's King Silabolin; 08-05-2015 at 05:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirbattos
    Hey guys an gals, When I either squat or deadlift, feet usually either shoulder width or slightly more apart, I usually tire my hamstrings out more then my quads, the next day my hamstrings feel like i'll never walk again, where my quads feel like they havent had a workout at all. Are there any techniques that can put more of a focus on my quads or any different exercises that could help target my quads?
    First off, deadlifts aren't a quad dominant exercise at all. You could do a thousand sets and your quads aren't gonna get sore.

My suggestion would be front squats. Also you can bring your feet in closer on your regular squats.
    No need for ultra high reps. 8-12 should be plenty.

numbere is offline RETIRED- Knowledgeable member
    Try supersetting leg extensions before squats.

Also I forgot to mention...

High bar squats hit the quads much more than low bar squats.

NACH3 is offline VET
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by numbere View Post
    Try supersetting leg extensions before squats.
    Pre-exhausting your legs b4 you get to squats(lightens the load rather than starting w/them - and imho it's a great technique) keep mixing things up... Reverse hacks/reverse V squats really hammer your quads - make sure you get the form right first - you'll want to get your arse back(& deep)...

Sirbattos is offline New Member
    Thanks heaps guys, cant wait to try some of these out by the end of the week and I'll let you know how I go.
    Cheers

MisterRogers is offline Junior Member
    I'm with deadlifting dog on this one a front squat with good form will hit quads nice

PrettyPlease? is offline Banned
    I just want to point out that a lot of lifters have over developed quads relative to their hamstrings so that could be a reason your hamstrings are taking a beating.

Also the squat is largely a quadricep dominant movement down to parallel, only past parallel do the glutes and hamstrings really get activated.

Thread Information