Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Marsoc

Thread: To failure and Beyond

Marsoc is offline Productive Member

To failure and Beyond

So I’ve read that one should only go to failure in their last set…. I personally go to failure and beyond every set and I always incorporate multiple drop sets, holding contractions, I guess you can call it a HIT/HIIT hybrid since I only rest 35 seconds or so between sets and keep it moving. For some exercise I usually do single limb training for arms, legs and other stuff and as soon as I’m done with the one arm or leg doing multiple drop sets (no less then triple drop sets) I switch to my other leg or whatever I’m training and go to the other and keep going back and forth so it’s not stop. I love to brutalize myself knowing my body grow more efficient from it but I keep training sessions to an hour or less, I eat plenty at optimal times pre, post workout and throughout the day as well as give that muscle group plenty of rest before training it again and if it’s a large muscle group I rest a solid day or 2 after before training another muscle group and I get plenty of sleep.

I guess my question is if going to failure and beyond on every set for the most part is good or counter productive? I imagine it’s good as long as I’m not overtraining and eating or resting enough. I hate reading shit online that makes me question.

Regardless I’m continuing to gain strength and weight as my bmi improves without gaining much fat really at all. Went from 198 to around 218 in a little over 1 month or so after not doing Jack shit besides hard labor for the last 5 years.
    Last edited by Marsoc; 02-05-2022 at 01:46 AM. Reason: I type fast
    wango likes this.

wango is offline Anabolic Member
    First off, there are as many opinions or approaches to lifting as there are stars in the sky. Thanks to the internet, all of those approaches and the folks that are preaching them to the masses are coming out of the woodwork.

You do what works for you. You stated that you are eating, sleeping enough & are recovering between workouts. But the fact that matters is that you are progressing.

OK, sure it’s after a 5 year layoff, so it’s to be “expected”. Although 20 pounds of muscle in one month is pretty damn amazing. Perhaps if and when it starts to slow, or you plateau, change it up a bit. Or heck, change it up a bit sooner & see how you respond. Crap, 20 pounds of muscle in one month? You’ll likely grow doing only push-ups, dips, pull-ups & body weight squats.

Personally, I love the pain & burning of drop sets, supersets or giant sets. Although I haven’t in a while, single arm training on a machine and using my other arm for forced reps and then negatives to failure were a nice ending to a workout. Generally those single arm workouts took me a good 4 days to recover from however.

Continued good fortune to you.

Marsoc is offline Productive Member
    Yeah first time I did single leg extensions since my long break it felt like someone took a Rototiller to my quads for a week. I usually switch things up in some way shape or form after a few weeks of something, always upping intensity I.e if I’m getting stronger then I sure ain’t staying at the same weight as last week. But yeah I love it, my mind starts to explore various new ways of torture and I’ll just go for it randomly some days. But yeah I’m sure it’s not all muscle since I’m all natural as it is but better then before I started is all I know.

Thread Information