kfizzle187 is offline Junior Member

lifting heavy tri's (pain)

When I do my standing tricep extension I use 80/90/100 and do 3x10. However, I get a sharp pain in my elbows when I get to the 100... I work through it but it worries me I'm doing something wrong or is there a different exercise that can be as effective. I like it because it uses all those extra muscles to keep your balance and grip etc. I lift heavy as I'm gaining and really only like to do 6 reps with heavier weight if I can complete 10 but afraid to go any higher until I figure this out. I'm 29 5'10" 195#

Tron3219 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kfizzle187
    When I do my standing tricep extension I use 80/90/100 and do 3x10. However, I get a sharp pain in my elbows when I get to the 100... I work through it but it worries me I'm doing something wrong or is there a different exercise that can be as effective. I like it because it uses all those extra muscles to keep your balance and grip etc. I lift heavy as I'm gaining and really only like to do 6 reps with heavier weight if I can complete 10 but afraid to go any higher until I figure this out. I'm 29 5'10" 195#
    U on cycle?

-TroN-

Not til May... can't come fast enough!

Quote Originally Posted by Tron3219 View Post

U on cycle?

-TroN-
    Not til May... can't come fast enough!!!

Tron3219 is offline Knowledgeable Member

Not til May... can't come fast enough!!!
    Well u might wanna get that elbow checked out before u do.

-TroN-

It's both elbows and only when I lift and only that lift.

ppwc1985 is offline Productive Member
    If its that bad just find another move to replace it.

600@50 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    You are really putting the elbow joint and tricep tendon under a lot of shear load with that movement. Why not work your tris with some close grip benches or military presses and give the joint and tendon a break?

OK, I was just seeing if there was any ideas of what else I could do possibly to get that kinda pump from a different lift... and No closed grip bench and military are not even for tri's man. Guess I'll just work it lower weight til the tendons get more accustomed to the weight. I've been lifting for a few years now and started out with 45's and would move up 5-10# when I could do 10. It's been very effective. Thanks for input guys.

RipOwens is offline Member
    OK, I was just seeing if there was any ideas of what else I could do possibly to get that kinda pump from a different lift... and No closed grip bench and military are not even for tri's man. Guess I'll just work it lower weight til the tendons get more accustomed to the weight. I've been lifting for a few years now and started out with 45's and would move up 5-10# when I could do 10. It's been very effective. Thanks for input guys.
    I think there's lots of exercises to work around that move, I wouldn't continue with that pain, ur body is telling u something. Skullcrushers might be close enough to it. And close grip bench is for tri's...

Quote Originally Posted by RipOwens View Post

I think there's lots of exercises to work around that move, I wouldn't continue with that pain, ur body is telling u something. Skullcrushers might be close enough to it. And close grip bench is for tri's...
    Yeah good idea, I'll go with the close grip bench... I was misinformed about close grip bench, my apologies to the guy above I said was wrong. I'm going to replace the standing tri's extension with the close grip bench next time. Thanks!

tigerspawn is offline Senior Member
    If you ever experience pain while doing any lift your body’s telling you to stop. If you continue after your body’s warning, you risk injuring yourself. Lying triceps extensions should give you the same results as you are experiencing with standing extensions. Make sure to use strict form and remember it’s the triceps that lift weight. Most individuals go to heavy and end up using their lats to help move the weight. My favorite triceps exercises for adding mass are weighted dips and close grip bench.

Thread Information