Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    massimo is offline Junior Member

Question for Canadians

Okay, this is a dumb question. In the US we have american history as part of our core education. So my question is do you in Canada have Canadian History as part of your core education?

PrairieDawg is offline Senior Member
    yes..

We had Canadian AND world history mandatory.

Over here you could not graduate grade 6 without Canadian history and grade 7 without world history.

Red

canadian history sucked. it was so boring. it was like. people found canada, they took it, we fought some natives for awhile, formed a few provinces and walla! you got canada.

Blown_SC is offline Retired Vet
    Quote Originally Posted by PrairieDawg
    canadian history sucked. it was so boring. it was like. people found canada, they took it, we fought some natives for awhile, formed a few provinces and walla! you got canada.
    Don't forget the beer drinking...

But to be brutally honest, Canadians know SO much more about the US, than the US does of Canada....

3Vandoo is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by massimo
    Okay, this is a dumb question. In the US we have american history as part of our core education. So my question is do you in Canada have Canadian History as part of your core education?

Me I had 6 types of History in HS
    - British history
    - French history
    - New FRance/Québec History
    - American History
    - Canadian history
    - 20th century history

twosocks40 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blown_SC

But to be brutally honest, Canadians know SO much more about the US, than the US does of Canada....
    Many people in other countries know more about the US than we do of them. Thats why they move here and we aren't moving there. Except canada, I might move there.

-B

Quote Originally Posted by twosocks40
    Many people in other countries know more about the US than we do of them. Thats why they move here and we aren't moving there. Except canada, I might move there.

-B
    Umm...not what I was getting at... but good to know!

3Vandoo is offline AR-Hall of Famer

****! that way singular
    I prefer mine!

Some lost frenchman discovered Canada, went back to Saint Malo with what he thought was gold, but it was only rocks, they went back formed a colony and took most of Northern America. Anyway, we killed a thousand of poor natives, slaved alot, conquered lands. Then the french royal court said " Ahh snow, screw them we prefer the ni***rs in the south" So they gave us to the Brits after a battle that the french won. hey, the french in quebec city were a bunch of wuzz!!! Oh my god! montcalm was killed! we dont care if there is 6000 reforcement on the other shore. So anyway the brits arrived and they were more clever than the french, except their population thinking they are the centre of the universe! So 13 colonies in the south decided that they want to marry their cousin and separate from the British rules, so they won because the french backed them like hell! We welcomed alot of loyalists...
    so some years later we formed a country! that country is the most politicaly correct place on earth and we are alienated by the liberals at the end of the state! So canada soon will be name Al-Kanada El Bin Laden!

canada means village btw!

Oh yeah orangemen pushed to steal the term canadian to the french population!

so we are villagers!

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by 3Vandoo
    ****! that way singular
    I prefer mine!

Some lost frenchman discovered Canada, went back to Saint Malo with what he thought was gold, but it was only rocks, they went back formed a colony and took most of Northern America. Anyway, we killed a thousand of poor natives, slaved alot, conquered lands. Then the french royal court said " Ahh snow, screw them we prefer the ni***rs in the south" So they gave us to the Brits after a battle that the french won. hey, the french in quebec city were a bunch of wuzz!!! Oh my god! montcalm was killed! we dont care if there is 6000 reforcement on the other shore. So anyway the brits arrived and they were more clever than the french, except their population thinking they are the centre of the universe! So 13 colonies in the south decided that they want to marry their cousin and separate from the British rules, so they won because the french backed them like hell! We welcomed alot of loyalists...
    so some years later we formed a country! that country is the most politicaly correct place on earth and we are alienated by the liberals at the end of the state! So canada soon will be name Al-Kanada El Bin Laden!

so we are villagers!

cheers
    I have no idea what you just said...

****! that way singular
    I prefer mine!

so we are villagers!

cheers
    Bahahaah Nice one 3V...

And Ottawa is an indian work which means "It's boring but it's clean"

I've tried to explain to a few seperatist friends of mine that historically, Canadians was a term that refered to the french in Quebec. At that time english Canada refused to be refered to as Canadians, they were British and loyal subjects of the King.

Of course it was like beating my head on a cement wall... seperatists + facts are simply incompatible.

Red

GeoQuadzilla is offline Senior Member
    Canada invented poutine

decadbal is offline Banned
    to know where your going, u must first know where youve been.

Knightrider is offline Associate Member

i think we know more about he US then the US knows about the US... lol

Quote Originally Posted by Knightrider
    i think we know more about he US then the US knows about the US... lol
    Bahaha true dat Alex Trebek!

bad_man is offline Anabolic Member
    Dude, you must not have been paying attention. Canadian history is extremely interesting and - for the record - it did not end at confederation. I keep a whole shelf in my office dedicated to history books - half of them Canadian. decadbal saidit perfectlhy - to know where you're going you must know where you've been.

For instance, do you know about:
    - Plains of Abraham
    - Louis Rheal
    - War of 1812
    - The Quebec Act
    - The underground railroad
    - The FLQ crisis

Just to name a few extremely interesting topics.

And a prize goes to the first person to tell me what a group of residents of Louisianna have to do with Canada.

Dally is offline The Dally Lama
    ahHahhaA

poutine is wICKeD

ever been to montreal for some philly cheese steak poutine ...

OMG ...my mouth is soooo watering .. this diner I went to threw soooo much cheese curds and gravy and meat .. and fresh tates....

SOOOO GOOD

(homer droolin)

Quote Originally Posted by bad_man
    And a prize goes to the first person to tell me what a group of residents of Louisianna have to do with Canada.
    Acadians settled there...
    "Forcibly expelled by the British from their homes and farms in maritime Canada during the second half of the 18th Century, many Acadians eventually made their way to southern Louisiana, where, over the generations, their descendants have formed the nucleus of Louisiana's Cajun life and culture. "

French settlement as well...

Many things.... where's my prize?
    Last edited by Blown_SC; 07-11-2004 at 10:30 PM.

massimo is offline Junior Member

So true thats why i made this post

Dude, you must not have been paying attention. Canadian history is extremely interesting and - for the record - it did not end at confederation. I keep a whole shelf in my office dedicated to history books - half of them Canadian. decadbal saidit perfectlhy - to know where you're going you must know where you've been.

For instance, do you know about:
    - Plains of Abraham
    - Louis Rheal
    - War of 1812
    - The Quebec Act
    - The underground railroad
    - The FLQ crisis

Just to name a few extremely interesting topics.

wow you found the quebec act interesting? the only ones there I found interesting would have been louis rheal and the war of 1812

Where's my prize Bad_man u fuker

Where's my prize Bad_man u fuker
    You win a one-week trip to Trois Rivieres. Second prize is a two-week trip.

You win a one-week trip to Trois Rivieres. Second prize is a two-week trip.
    I'm confused though.... I was correct wasn't I?
    Why punish me by sending me there...been there...done that... got the verbal ass reaming...

I'm confused though.... I was correct wasn't I?
    Why punish me by sending me there...been there...done that... got the verbal ass reaming...
    Yes, you were right. Cajun is slang for Canadian. And it's a LONG walk from Montreal to New Orleans.

Where would you rather go? Chicoutimi?

Mart651 is offline The Redneck Queen of the Lounge
    I got a question for you Canadians. How the hell do yall get down here to the south? I was under the impression you couldn't get there from here. So how the hell do yall get here from there?

Quote Originally Posted by Martha
    I got a question for you Canadians. How the hell do yall get down here to the south? I was under the impression you couldn't get there from here. So how the hell do yall get here from there?
    Have you been hanging out with Nathan?

What? Does he have the answer?

Mart puzzled me on that one too...

Yes, you were right. Cajun is slang for Canadian. And it's a LONG walk from Montreal to New Orleans.

Where would you rather go? Chicoutimi?
    Not there either! Last time I can remember even mentionin Chicoutimi was when Potivin played there...in the QJMHL...

How about... a trip to... Merrickville ...

Not there either! Last time I can remember even mentionin Chicoutimi was when Potivin played there...in the QJMHL...

How about... a trip to... Merrickville ...
    Fine, I'll send you there. You can race your car on the track and then go drink some moonshine with the locals.

Fine, I'll send you there. You can race your car on the track and then go drink some moonshine with the locals.
    Where the hell is there a track in Merrickville? You must mean Stittsville ...

And yes, I love Canadian beer...(it's moonshine itself, u know that )

This is hilarious having someone that knows the area!

Where the hell is there a track in Merrickville? You must mean Stittsville ...

And yes, I love Canadian beer...(it's moonshine itself, u know that )

This is hilarious having someone that knows the area!
    Didn't it used to be called the Merrickville Speedway? Now I see it's called the Capital City Speedway, and you're right, it's in Stittsville. So, I'll spring for the bus ride to Stittsville.

Didn't it used to be called the Merrickville Speedway? Now I see it's called the Capital City Speedway, and you're right, it's in Stittsville. So, I'll spring for the bus ride to Stittsville.
    No, not to my knowledge...
    Merrickville is in the other direction...located west of Kemptville....(My we're gettin into the boonies now lol...)

Oh well...the price for bus fare will be inexpensive... don't I get a dscout anyways? It takes less fuel to run the shorter buses after all...

Quote Originally Posted by Martha
    Do you mean the somewhat french "Cajun" folks down in louisiana?

Cajun is the americanised version of Acadien. They lived (and some still do) in Accadie, which is a french area where the St-Lawrence meets the Atlantic, both in the province of Quebec and New Brunswick. They speak a strange french dialect, both in Accadie and in Cajun country.

How they came to be in louisiana is such great numbers is pretty simple, the brits wanted to "ethnically clense" that area of french folks, so they sent most of the Acadien folks packing down south, and they settled in Louisiana.

In a way the brits failed as the area up here is still full of Acadiens, and their offshoots survived exile quite well and became Cajuns down south...

Red

Quote Originally Posted by Red Ketchup

Cajun is the americanised version of Acadien. They lived (and some still do) in Accadie, which is a french area where the St-Lawrence meets the Atlantic, both in the province of Quebec and New Brunswick. They speak a strange french dialect, both in Accadie and in Cajun country.

How they came to be in louisiana is such great numbers is pretty simple, the brits wanted to "ethnically clense" that area of french folks, so they sent most of the Acadien folks packing down south, and they settled in Louisiana.

In a way the brits failed as the area up here is still full of Acadiens, and their offshoots survived exile quite well and became Cajuns down south...

Red
    If you were a few hours sooner, you would have won the prize.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Ketchup

Red

I should have known I would get this response from you. Do you think I am even smart enough to ask a question that would even warrant an answer like this. No more Canadian jokes for me.

I'll give him the prize, I already know what Trois Rivieres is like...

Hey I know what Chicoutimi is like, I lived there I'll take Louisiana any day!

Red

Flasher is offline Associate Member
    Y they teach us that our army sucks with it's brand new 1950's equipment that only gets used when we have a bad snow storm and if we don't kiss the Americans ass, we'll get smoked in the next war..... long live Canada!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information