Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By tarmyg
  • 1 Post By Obs

Thread: Forum search for juice heads

tarmyg is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries

Forum search for juice heads

Dear Juice Heads,

Finding things on this site using the built in search function can tun out to be somewhat difficult. While the people who built vBulletin are undoubtedly smart they are by the same token not Google. In this very small guide I will show you how to find things using Google on this site and luckily for us the people who run this site has made it very index friendly. This means finding things are not as difficult as it might first appear. Not to embarrass someone else I'll use myself and my own stupid posts as examples.

Searching only forums.steroid.com on Google
    To search only this site on Google we will use a site operator. Instead of digging deep into that here is a quick example you can click on: site:forums.steroid.com tarmyg

As you can see it is only searching this site (or these forums to be exact for my name). To search for anything else replace my name, tarmyg, with anything else you want to look for, i.e. dbol

Explicit searching and more

You will always need to use the site operator as mentioned above but we can get more fancy. Maybe you really want tarmyg to be in the search in which case you can use quotation marks like this, "tarmyg". Maybe tarmyg has interacted a lot with Obs and you want them to appear in all your search results. You can do that by using the AND operator like this, "tarmyg" AND "Obs". Click this link for an example: site:forums.steroid.com "tarmyg" AND "Obs"

You can replace AND with OR to get modify your search.

If you use the same example but you only want to find threads where Obs is part but tarmyg has never responded. Simple, use a minus sign in front of the name, i.e. -"tarmyg". Now you would only find content with Obs where tarmyg explicitly has never appeared. Example: site:forums.steroid.com -"tarmyg" "Obs"

Date limiting search on Google
    This can be done on the search bar but you need to use the Julian format so it is not very usable. However, Google has made this super simple. Search for anything on Google and once you have your search bar you can click on Tools (Right below the search bar) and limit thing by date.

Advanced Search
    Google has a nice UI you can use to make more complicated searches. You will find that here: Advanced Search

Hopefully this will help someone find some information they previously did not find.

Thanks
    ~t
    Obs and Quester like this.

Obs
    Obs is offline Changed Man
    Thanks!

The advanced search here used to be muuuuuch more effective though.
    Glad to know a dofferent route
    tarmyg likes this.

Quester is online now Knowledgeable Member
    Thanks

Thread Information