JDawg1536 is offline "Rock" of Love ;)

Calling all computer nerds...I mean genius's..

Do you guys know any way to trace an ip address to its owner?

Dally is offline The Dally Lama
    depends on the operating system your using what kind of medium or network your trying to get into etc.... not easy to answer unless your specific.

generally there used to be a domain name owner name of a url address or a ip address tool on the web that anyone could use... I had it favorited but I am at a different workstation right now...

maybe I check later mang

arthurb999 is offline Anabolic Member
    Can't you do a traceroute?

iNvid is offline Senior Member
    I'm not sure what you are asking but you can try http://www.dnsstuff.com/ . It traces a site back to its ip usually on port 80.

ya i went to dnsstuff, and this was what came out. http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools/whois....whois.radb.net

Im pretty sure it is just a home network using a couple different ips.

this was the other one- http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools/whois....whois.radb.net

Psychotron is offline Anabolic Member
    About the only thing you can do is a WhoIS and a tracert to the IP. The RIAA issues Subpeonas to the ISP of the IP, in this case Adelphia, to get the names of the people using that IP, but you wont have any luck with that, most companys arent giving out the names, unless its Comcast.

the ip is coming from LA, California. i want to say the airport. LAX

i got this much out of it- 69.166.220.140 (ca-fulrtn-cuda1m-140.lmdaca.adelphia.net). coming from fullerton

and do you think its likely that those ips are from the same network?

They are both coming from the same netblock, so yes it could be possible its a home network with multiple IP's, or it could be two neighbors. Why do you want to know all this.

massimo is offline Junior Member
    Also keep in mind that there are programs which aloow you to spoof your IP address.

Elliot is offline Anabolic Member
    Chances are with out a court order you won't find anything but where the provider's router is..

TheMudMan is offline Retired~ AR-Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotron
    They are both coming from the same netblock, so yes it could be possible its a home network with multiple IP's, or it could be two neighbors. Why do you want to know all this.
    This guy is sending harrasing messages to me, and also emailed me some shady stuff to download, at least I think it was him. So yeah Im pretty sure I know who it is, but I have no REAL proof besides the ip address is coming from the city he lives in, but I know tons of people in the city, so thats not too concrete.

Wow, it was nearly 2 weeks not hearing from this guy, and last night he sends another **** talking message. This is really starting to piss me off. I dont want to report it to the internet provider, because then I will never know who it was. Its so stupid that I have a bunch of info on this guy but cant get a name. Does anyone have any sort of idea about what I could do? Anyone know somebody that works for Adelphia?

Quote Originally Posted by JDawg1536
    This guy is sending harrasing messages to me, and also emailed me some shady stuff to download, at least I think it was him. So yeah Im pretty sure I know who it is, but I have no REAL proof besides the ip address is coming from the city he lives in, but I know tons of people in the city, so thats not too concrete.

lol just ignore, its not like he can do anything to you. block his e-mail.

ya i know, it just annoys the **** out of me when someone keeps telling me they are gonna beat my ass and i dont even know who they are

the original jason is offline AR-Hall of Famer / Retired
    god i heard this story so many times, you see some scammer or hard man pop up and the 'i wanna be comptuer nerd' pops up with his ip, dns, whois, traceroute comments give me his ip and ill find his address for you.

you cant find anything from an ip apart from their isp or possibly a company name from a rented lease line, thats it.

Thread Information