Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Tapout is offline Senior Member
    wow bros i have been really busy so not able to post lately but come back and see this thread---cool

as most of the bros here who know me knows i have been doing martial arts of some kind for 20 years(on and off)
    in may of 97 i started jiu jitsu and am still in it. i love it it works great and very effective.i am embarresed to admit but i have never heard of krav maga--what is it?

as for size the smaller person usually does better. i got up to 250 and it was too much,i am down to 237 now and want to get to 230 so i can be more flexable and get positions that i cant get right now

ultimatefighter is so right about lucky to have a black belt bjj teacher. i am a brown belt in our mixed martial arts--jiu jitsu system being in it since 97--. which took me about 3 years---in bjj 3 years and you are usually still a white belt or just got your blue.
    for the last year i have been doing strictly bjj. our school has 2 brazialian jiu jitsu instructors a purple belt(who should be brown-just has to go to see his instructor in brazil and get it) and a black belt(who is my main instructor) under carlson gracie. he is also a black belt in maui tai.--he is unbelievable good.he told me i could wear my brown belt which i earned but in bjj i would be a blue belt and getting my purple possibly in november area. so i wear my blue belt out of respect for him and the bjj system.
    i have done some tournaments and so has all the guys i train with. our school is big into mixed and nhb fighting and we go to all kinds of fights and tournaments

the thing i'm trying to say is if you find the right school and style(my opinion its bjj)it will be a way of life. we eat,and sleep jiu jitsu and weights. it allows for a better fighter to have the strength when needed(not to often in bjj--dont let the instrucor see)and muscularity to succeed. we all hang out with each other,train together and go places--its like a brotherhood in our school--we help each other and have each others backs...

ValeTudoFighter is offline Junior Member
    TAPOUT check this web site out http://www.kravmaga.com/ .

And what kind of Muay Thai does your instructor do? I have never heard of a belt ranking in muay thai, like black belt or anything. Pro muay thai is more of a sport like boxing than a martial art.

Oh, actually I just noticed that you put muai tai, is that different all together?

BlocRoc is offline Member
    Just some comments:

My choice would be Muay Thai....

There are two main variants:
    military - whiich the thai armed forces use...NO belt system, jsut a way to hurt people.
    Competition - Which is becoming popular and is in its infancy stage in regards to a belt system

75 bones a month is what the local school charges. This is in Silicon Valley, CA. That includes 2 sessions a week per month. A bit high for the area, but its an awesome school.

Check out their site at:

http://www.militarymuaythai.com

L8

5minsforfighting is offline Associate Member
    Anyone in the Orange County California area that knows of a good place to train. Looking for a deal like gixxerboy found with the monthly membership for as much as you would like to train. Looking for a combo of Kickboxing and Ju jitsu. Let me know if any bros know of any good places in my area.

WS6_KID is offline Associate Member
    Originally posted by King Samson
    When I started training jiu-jitsu, within 3 months I was using it on the streets efficiently. In those 3 months I would estimate that I doubled or tripled the amount of asses that I could kick. Now when I go places I have total confidence. When people give me a problem I know that unless they are or have trained some kind of ground fighting and they are good at it, I will win. I don't want this post to turn into me trying to sound like a bad ass but I just think that someone with jiu-jitsu training and even a small amont of talent will be able to accomplish your goal. But nothing beats mma with jiu-jitsu in the mix. JMHO

EXACTLY WHAT I WAS GOING TO SAY.

ripsid is offline Senior Member
    5mins you can't shoot on anyone on the ice!
    Bas Rutten has a school in Beverly Hills, I'd say that it's more than worth the drive!!!!!!!!!!!! He's oneof the best!!! Dude is f'n awesome! He has a 27 fight win streak in Pride right now. Check out his web site basrutten.net I think it is.

ironfist is offline Elite Hall Of Fame ~ RIP ~
    Originally posted by gixxerboy
    the bjj guy wasnt there but they said he is a blackbelt a Brazilian and national champ.
    Hopefully it's from a Gracie or a Machado...

LOL Sid ... driving sucks in LA .. so unless i move its not really an option ... hopefully i can find an alternative closer .. and more in my price range

Tapout is offline Senior Member
    valetudofighter
    thanks bro for the site
    as far as my instructor(i know he is a black belt in bjj under carlson gracie)but for the muay thai (your spelling is right mine sucked) i was told he is a black belt in that from our owner, i believe---i know he is good in it but as far as belt system for them i didnt know they didnt have one but thought they did--at least in more modern schools

Trust me i know how how driving on the 5/405/10/101 it all sucks! Hell it would take me 6or 7 hours on a friday to get from SD to Ventura! If I left on sat morning I'd make it in 2 1/2 hours. Unreal!
    Anyways, I'd call up Rutten's studio and see if he knew of anyone in your area! Where in OC? I think there's a lions den out there? I'd check into that also. There are some WORLD class studio's out there!

Ripsid .... Im out in the Santa Ana area ... seems to be a ton of fighters out here ... ive visited over where Team Punishment trains in HB .... I stood next to Ortiz and felt like i was about 5 feet tall ... and on paper im an inch taller... its amazing to see those guys in real person... anyways just looking for a place to train where i could pay a monthly fee ... cause im ready to train 6 days a week if i have to ... just ready to soak it all up ...

chicamahomico is offline Respected Member
    Hey 5mins, are you looking for a place to hone fighting skills for hockey?
    If so, I would go with judo and/or boxing. In a hockey fight all you need is some good stand up technique with solid punching skills. Judo is the best stand up grappling(while clothed), bar none. And boxing will give you useful punching skills. The best part is both are usually easy to find nearby and are often quite affordable.

anyways just looking for a place to train where i could pay a monthly fee ... cause im ready to train 6 days a week if i have to ... just ready to soak it all up ...
    It sounds like you've got the motivation end of things covered. Look for a school that provides quality instruction all the time. Don't worry about going to Bas Rutten or Frank Shamrock school unless you are paying for private lessons with them personally. Find a dojo with a good atmosphere, most have one but some are 'out there'. Keep us posted.

sp9
    sp9 is offline MMA Competition Sentinel
    This sound like a good place for BJJ training?

http://www.bjjonline.com/maguilla.html

It is about 45 min away from me. I wish I could find something closer.

Big Rush is offline The Juice Man
    Originally posted by ripsid
    gixxer, This kung fu guy enters a bjj school and challenges there best guy, we'll just say the guy is typing with one arm!
    http://www.bullshido.us/
    holy shit!

Rush, search through the video's and there's a few where guys just got smoked! It's awesome! I love BJJ!!!!!!!
    Try sherdog.com they have fight clips and promo reals from some great fighters.... it's awesome!
    5mins...Tito's bad assed man! BAD! Love to watch him fight too. Definately check around you're in one of the hotbeds of fighting schools, some of the best around have schools near you. I mean if you want BJJ, or MMA they are there bro!
    I miss Huntington Beach, Newport beach! It's awesome down there!

Ripsid I agree , HB is a hot spot right now ... Just used to be surfers and burnouts, now you gotta watch who you are messing with ... alot of fight camps, just trying to find out i can use for the 3-4 months that im out there ... something that is a monthy fee, as well as letting you train as much as you like ... thanks for the info guys ... ill keep doing more research.. Chica im looking for more street fighting then hockey fighting .. dont have a problem on the ice ... and you are right my old team had a boxing instructor come in and train us 1-2 a week ... its amazing how a few sessions really help some of the guys to throw ... anyways thanks for all the help bros ..

brucelee is offline New Member

Question

To the original poster of this thread... So where did you end up training?

novicemarine is offline Junior Member
    Hmm... Sorry, the best way to learn how to fight is to get your ass kicked a few times. And IMO, it doesn't really matter what you take, I took kickboxing for 2 years and the only thing it did for me was scare the guys who handn't faught before. I've been in a shitload of fights, but I didn't start actually kicking ass until I was too old to fight. You just have to lose some, get punched in the grill a few times and stuff. I have like 2 friends who I see kickin' ass that claim it's always been like that, but I really think they're full of shit. The best of us started out getting the piss slapped out of us. You're much better off being extremely intimidating. If you want to seem like you know what you're doing next time a guy is flippin' out makin' it look like he wants to fight, just stay calm, laid back (in control) as if you know he's not going to do shit, but are ready for him to. If he knows you're not scared, chances are, you have reason not to be. So, thats my advice to you. And i can honestly say, it's probably the most effective method you'll get. You can take all the classes you want, but keep what I just said in mind if someone's getting buck on ya.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information