• 1 Post By Hoggage_54
  • 2 Post By MuscleInk
  • 2 Post By 600@50
  • 1 Post By lovbyts
  • 1 Post By Honkey_Kong

Thread: Who would you go to for advice?

fitnesstrainer is offline Associate Member

Who would you go to for advice?

This is completely for my own curiosities sake but I wonder what the general mentality of this board is on an issue like this.

Say you have two guys of relatively equal pro status in bodybuilding. What I mean is both of them are equally well known and have won a similar amount of shows or what ever else. Basically these dudes are equals in their sport.

Now lets say the first guy has 30 years of experience in bodybuilding. He has trained people who have achieved victory. Knows just about everything there is to know about compounds because he has used most of them and has plenty of "in the trenches" knowledge on all subjects regarding bodybuilding.

Now lets say the next guy also has experience but his is just over the course of 15 years, but unlike the first individual this guy has a bachelors in something like exercise science. Also trained people, has won a similar amount of shows and knows plenty about the chemistry behind bodybuilding, the only difference is he has been doing it half as long and has a degree.

I am curious to know who you guys would be more eager to ask advice from. Who's words would you put more weight behind?

Hoggage_54 is offline Suspended or Banned either way gone!
    I only listen to myself because I am the greatest person in the world.
    Black and DAAS like this.

And I love boobs.
    fitnesstrainer likes this.

Ass, too.

MuscleInk is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fitnesstrainer View Post
    This is completely for my own curiosities sake but I wonder what the general mentality of this board is on an issue like this.

Say you have two guys of relatively equal pro status in bodybuilding. What I mean is both of them are equally well known and have won a similar amount of shows or what ever else. Basically these dudes are equals in their sport.

Now lets say the first guy has 30 years of experience in bodybuilding. He has trained people who have achieved victory. Knows just about everything there is to know about compounds because he has used most of them and has plenty of "in the trenches" knowledge on all subjects regarding bodybuilding.

Now lets say the next guy also has experience but his is just over the course of 15 years, but unlike the first individual this guy has a bachelors in something like exercise science. Also trained people, has won a similar amount of shows and knows plenty about the chemistry behind bodybuilding, the only difference is he has been doing it half as long and has a degree.

I am curious to know who you guys would be more eager to ask advice from. Who's words would you put more weight behind?
    More likely the 30 year vet. Text book knowledge is not the same as real world wisdom.
    Black and BG like this.

600@50 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I'd ask both. The more info you have on a subject the better. But when it's all said I'd probably give what the 30 year guy said more emphasis. Hard to beat real world experience.

David LoPan is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Blog Entries
    the old one. Been there done that and have a tee shirt to prove it. Cant beat life experience and you can read all you want to and have a degree in whatever but until you learn lessons in real life you don't know crap, IMO.

Honestly I think it would be situational for me personally, even with the variables I layed out there is still a lot of what ifs.

lovbyts is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I'm going with both because they both probably have different perspectives on some things and there is not one size fits all so you can get helpful advice from both.

Also it would also depend on which on was more forthcoming or helpful.
    I would also be careful not to over do it with questions. Unless you are paying them.

I would try to be just as helpful in some way so it's not a one way street. Find something in common that he needs help with that you are advanced in be it computer troubleshooting, cars, maybe deals on goods or??? Find a common ground.

Succor is offline New Member
    Second guy

Anecdotal experience =/= science

Honkey_Kong is online now Superbowl XLIX Champs!
    The first guy has the experience and knowledge to get the results. But the other guy knows about the science behind it all that the first guy doesn't know about. If they're both willing to spill the beans to you, I'd pick both of their brains apart and see if you can get a better understanding than either of them have individually.

But remember, the guy with the experience and the success probably learned it the hard way by making every mistake in the book. He can tell you a lot more about applying the knowledge rather than the guy who is going to focus in the theory of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Honkey_Kong View Post
    The first guy has the experience and knowledge to get the results. But the other guy knows about the science behind it all that the first guy doesn't know about. If they're both willing to spill the beans to you, I'd pick both of their brains apart and see if you can get a better understanding than either of them have individually.

But remember, the guy with the experience and the success probably learned it the hard way by making every mistake in the book. He can tell you a lot more about applying the knowledge rather than the guy who is going to focus in the theory of it.
    Definitely my favorite answer yet. Good thoughts.

Thread Information