Anabolics
Search More Than 6,000,000 Posts
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 40 of 78

Thread: Done!

  1. #1
    peam's Avatar
    peam is offline Suspended
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    1,779

    Done!

    I'd just like to say thank you to everyone who helped me with my essay this weekend. These few days of homework hell are now over. I however did not make it to 2500 words only 1755 BUT... at least it's done. I feel good about it. (which means I'll probably get a C on it) I got my art done...not the spanish but that's okay... I can do that tomorrow. Thanks guys!! I owe ya one!

  2. #2
    mass junkie's Avatar
    mass junkie is offline banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    on the net
    Posts
    8,849
    Quote Originally Posted by peam
    I'd just like to say thank you to everyone who helped me with my essay this weekend. These few days of homework hell are now over. I however did not make it to 2500 words only 1755 BUT... at least it's done. I feel good about it. (which means I'll probably get a C on it) I got my art done...not the spanish but that's okay... I can do that tomorrow. Thanks guys!! I owe ya one!
    why dont you just to finish it...........try for that A

  3. #3
    Grant's Avatar
    Grant is offline Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Posts
    973
    you know what pisses me off about a 2500 word minimum is that it is treating you like an elementary school kid who does not know what is adequate for their paper. If you felt that you have captured what you wanted to say and prove in 1500 words, they should let it stand. Instead they have to struggle through the extra text to get the critical points that prove your thesis.

  4. #4
    50%Natural's Avatar
    50%Natural is offline Respected Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    texas
    Posts
    4,132
    What's the paper. I'm a good bullshitter. A's all englishes I have taken. Even an A in poetry.

  5. #5
    peam's Avatar
    peam is offline Suspended
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    1,779
    I'll post it... if you can add another however many it needs then be my guest... I busted my ass for hours and I'm tired... and my wrist hurts like hell from typing

  6. #6
    peam's Avatar
    peam is offline Suspended
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    1,779
    In explorations of William Shakespeareís play Hamlet, the main characterís sanity is most often questioned. I believe Hamlet, the main character, is pretending to be mad in order to allow him as much time as possible to prove to the people of Denmark that his Uncle, now King Claudius, is guilty for the murder of King Hamlet. Hamletís act of madness is exhibited and confirmed in situations where he interacts with his mother, Ophelia, and also with his questioning of his own sins and with his comments about his own insanity.

    There are several encounters Hamlet has with his mom which can lead the reader to believe he is only pretending to be insane. For example, in Act three scene two Hamlet mentions to his mother how short the prologue is, when she agrees he tells her that womenís love is also short. With that comment, Hamlet has proved to the audience that he has spoken of the prologueís length not simply to make conversation, but to get underneath his motherís skin, and make her feel guilty for how quickly she had remarried after King Hamletís death. Later in the play Hamlet confides in his mother, after their heart to heart discussion, that he is not mad, he is only mad in craft. (3.4 209-210) What Hamlet was telling his mother is that he is not insane as most of the people in Denmark have been saying; rather he is only acting mad to do a job. That job being to avenge his fatherís death. Hamlet makes his mother promise to not tell Claudius that he is mad but she must do it in order to protect her son. (4.1 7-13) Seeing that the Queen says and exaggerates even, her opinion that Hamlet is insane all to protect her son shows the reader that she trusts Hamlet and believes he is doing the right thing. Hamlet told her of his plan to switch the death sentence letters so Queen Gertrude, knowing this plan, wanted to keep Claudius thinking that his plan would be carried out successfully. At the end of the play Queen Gertrude warns her son of the poisonous drink that is killing her. (5.2 328-330) It could be believed that Hamletís mother truly is on his side, and if he had been seriously insane and not faking it, she would not have warned Hamlet of the poison, she would have let him drink it as to end his misery and put him out of this world. If he were truly mad, she would have thought it easier for him to die and lay with his father than to suffer the torture Denmark would inflict on him alive.

    As it is exhibited with his mom, Hamletís mere act of madness is exhibited also with Ophelia his love interest, and daughter of Polonius. As Hamletís madness is questioned, his sincerity in loving Ophelia can also be questioned. From studying the play it can be perceived that Hamlet is genuinely in love with Ophelia. In Zeferelliís interpretation of the play, Hamlet can be seen witnessing Polonius forbidding Ophelia to speak with him. I believe that event is one reason Hamlet tried to distance himself immediately from Ophelia; he did not want to get hurt. Hamlet spoke of his love for Ophelia saying that it drove him to his madness. However Ophelia herself believed Hamlet loved her, and she, out of everybody, would know Hamletís true feelings. (1.3 116-121) Also in Zeferelliís interpretation Hamlet tells Ophelia not to believe what she has seen at the play. Hamlet was acting quite crazy, and so he tells Ophelia, because he loves her, to run away and to not believe what he has said. Ophelia does run away, proving she also has faith in Hamlet and his plans. Hamlet forced Ophelia to run away because he truly loves her and did not want her to see the murderous, inconsiderate actions which were to come.

    Two characters which are very close to Hamlet believe he is only faking his madness and his clever ways to manipulate those people around him also prove that Hamlet is not truly insane. Hamlet is quite aware of Poloniusís daughter Ophelia and of Polonius himself however, in his cleverness he decides to play with Poloniusís mind a little bit. Hamlet, although he knows Polonius is aware of his relationship with his daughter, Ophelia asks Polonius if he has a daughter, to add to his insanity. (2.2 190-205) If Hamlet was actually mad he wouldnít have the wits to tease Polonius in such a way as to get on his nerves. Also, since Hamlet is only acting mad, he can be rude to Polonius and say what he really thinks of him, which isnít very highly since he forbid his daughter to see Hamlet, and do whatever it is that he pleases yet, still get away with only being called insane. He doesnít have to suffer any of the consequences he would if he were to act normally around the Castle. Hamlet is able to manipulate Rosencrantz and Guildenstern into admitting that the King and Queen had sent them to look after Hamlet. Once again since Hamlet is faking his madness when he canít get the answers heís looking for by using his words he can be physically violent towards those individuals to achieve his goals. In the second scene of act two Hamlet asks the players to change a few lines in their play. He does this to change the play so it is a reenactment of what the ghost told him happened the night his father, King Hamlet, was murdered. Hamlet changes the play hoping it will cause Claudius to confess what he has done. The play also affects his motherís thinking and causes her to become guilty as well. No mad man could have the ability of thinking it takes to change a play in order to get a guilty person to confess his sins. If a man is insane, he doesnít know he is, and being insane there would have to be something wrong in the brain. Hamlet thinks clearly and logically and knows that if he acts like heís insane, he can seek revenge for his fatherís death without paying the consequences he would have to pay if he were acting normally. While watching the play Hamlet calls out important happenings for the King and Queen to hear. (3.2 120-282) He makes note of all the similarities between his play and what happened the night Claudius murdered King Hamlet. Hamletís taking care of two problems at once here while pointing out events to try to persuade Claudius to confess his murder; he is also making his mother feel guilty for remarrying so quickly. Hamlet knows what heís doing. He has thought most of his plans out, and those plans that he hasnít put any thought into, are still logical. All of his actions are working to his advantage so he can better seek revenge for his fatherís death.

    Hamletís faking of madness has been proved thorough his ability to manipulate others and is also proven through his questioning of his sins. Hamlet is not mad. If he was insane, he would not question his own sins. Hamlet also questions life, suicide and what happens to bodies after the people die throughout the play. Hamlet shows concern with what will happen to him once he dies. If he was mad, he would not know he is doing anything wrong or evil. It could be thought that Hamlet believes his sinning to be okay because his father didnít have a chance to ask for forgiveness and was sent to help, therefore, if Hamlet was to die without being forgiven, he could join his father in the after life. In the famous, ďto be or not to beĒ soliloquy Hamlet ponders suicide. He tosses around thoughts of how it would be easier to be dead however, if he were to kill himself he would be doomed in the afterlife. So Hamlet is concerned with his sins and his religious beliefs. If Hamlet were insane, he couldnít comprehend right from wrong or sinful from holy. Towards the end of the soliloquy Hamlet makes a statement about the conscience. He basically states that the reason more action doesnít take place, and more people donít get what they need to do done is because they have a conscience, because they are worried about sinning, going to hell, and about their reputation. That piece proves that heís sane because he is able to distinguish why others do or do not commit murder, adultery or other sins. Hamlet knows what heís doing. He understands that he is sinning and that if not given a chance to ask for forgiveness, will spend his eternal life in hell with King Hamlet. On the other hand, Hamlet is fanatical about seeking revenge for his fatherís murder. Being that Hamlet can decipher the difference between what is right and what is wrong, shows that he is not insane, heís just pretending to be mad in order to get revenge for his fatherís death.

    Hamlet can decide what is evil and what is holy and can also speak of his so called madness. In the play there are various accounts in which Hamlet was either questioned or spoke of his madness. A few of those have already been mentioned in this paper. He spoke to his mother, the Queen about his act of madness and also convinced his love Ophelia; that he was merely pretending to be insane. Hamlet also, while speaking to Rosencrantz and Guildenstern told them that he was mad. Hamlet had to do that because he knew that they had been sent by the King and Queen to look after him. Later Hamletís insane act allowed him to escape being killed. Hamlet also blames Poloniusís death on his craziness, which is exactly why he started to act like he was mad in the first place. (5.2 224-245) To allow for his carelessness so he can seek revenge for his father the best way possible.

    Hamletís madness is pretended and can be seen in situations where he interacts with his mother, Ophelia, and also when his questions his own sins and makes comments about his own insanity. The question of whether Hamletís madness is an act or real is often debated. It can be interpreted either way. If there is question at all that Hamletís madness is fake, then it most likely is.

  7. #7
    peam's Avatar
    peam is offline Suspended
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    1,779
    might I warn you it's 6 pages double spaced.. and sorry if it sucks... feel free to tell me I'm an idiot.. as long as you help fix it

  8. #8
    50%Natural's Avatar
    50%Natural is offline Respected Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    texas
    Posts
    4,132
    I would change the last line of the paper. Not saying you're an idiot or anything but you could wrap it up stronger.

  9. #9
    50%Natural's Avatar
    50%Natural is offline Respected Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    texas
    Posts
    4,132
    I always like to end papers with questions. That way, the teacher will be thinking about the question when she/he is done an not so much the entire paper. If it is a good question you can bump that c to a B. Just a little tip from yours truely.

  10. #10
    peam's Avatar
    peam is offline Suspended
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    1,779
    well do you have any suggestions?

  11. #11
    bermich's Avatar
    bermich is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    4,808
    Yeah. That is one post I skipped over. NOT about to READ a 1700 word POST. Sorry. Im sure it is excellent though.

  12. #12
    50%Natural's Avatar
    50%Natural is offline Respected Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    texas
    Posts
    4,132
    It has got to be relating to the madness factor. See, if I had any knowledge about this then I could help. But I don't. The poetry I studied was all the other stuff. I ignored Shakespeare in H.S. Say something like, "Through all the adversity, trials, and tribulations that Hamlet faced in his life, can anyone really blame him for being mad? Whatever.

  13. #13
    peam's Avatar
    peam is offline Suspended
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    1,779
    is it really worth changing? I'd have to print it all out again... 6 pages....


    save the trees!

  14. #14
    50%Natural's Avatar
    50%Natural is offline Respected Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    texas
    Posts
    4,132
    Just print the last page. I am telling you a strong ending can make up for a mediocore paper. I am not saying your paper is bad though because that is too much to read.

  15. #15
    peam's Avatar
    peam is offline Suspended
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    1,779
    ahhhh crap... now I don't know what to write... a question? he's NOT mad... that's what my whole paper is about... help me out guys! it's late! I'm tired!... and losing my mind

  16. #16
    50%Natural's Avatar
    50%Natural is offline Respected Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    texas
    Posts
    4,132
    Shit, I don't know then.

  17. #17
    peam's Avatar
    peam is offline Suspended
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    1,779
    Is there really a question at all if Hamlet's madness is real or fake?

  18. #18
    peam's Avatar
    peam is offline Suspended
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    1,779
    I want to make it sound like there shouldn't even be debate about the madness because it's for sure a fake.

  19. #19
    50%Natural's Avatar
    50%Natural is offline Respected Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    texas
    Posts
    4,132
    "While many people argue that Hamlet suffered from insanity, is it really clear from the context of Shakespeare that Hamlet was in fact insane? How do you like that. Throw around good grammer and the teach will eat it up.

  20. #20
    peam's Avatar
    peam is offline Suspended
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    1,779
    thanks 50

  21. #21
    50%Natural's Avatar
    50%Natural is offline Respected Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    texas
    Posts
    4,132
    no prob. I got mad skills with the english language. Even though it might not sound or look like it from what I type.

  22. #22
    peam's Avatar
    peam is offline Suspended
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    1,779
    suuuure I believe ya I hope you know I'm going to be asking you for help now everytime I have to write a paper!

  23. #23
    50%Natural's Avatar
    50%Natural is offline Respected Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    texas
    Posts
    4,132
    I can't wait. I've never gotten below a B on any paper I've ever written for the past 6 or so years. Dating back to h.s.

  24. #24
    cb25's Avatar
    cb25 is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    AZ to MA...depends on whe
    Posts
    2,781
    nice job peam - paper looks good - especially when you take into account you did it all yesterday!! let us know how the grade turns out

  25. #25
    New GearGuy's Avatar
    New GearGuy is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Souf Jerzee
    Posts
    320
    Nice job Paem you made Shakespeare sound interesting.

    Never woulda thought!

  26. #26
    peam's Avatar
    peam is offline Suspended
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    1,779
    thanks guys...

  27. #27
    mass junkie's Avatar
    mass junkie is offline banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    on the net
    Posts
    8,849
    Shes not just another pretty face.........shes a smartie pants....

  28. #28
    Danielle's Avatar
    Danielle is offline Female Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    New Yorker
    Posts
    1,565
    hey girlie..............just let me know when u need a paper for Julius Ceaser.......i know that book inside out

  29. #29
    hoss827's Avatar
    hoss827 is offline Banned
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Somewhere in cyberspace..
    Posts
    1,330
    Personally i think the 2500 word minimum is pointless. If you can get your point across in 1500 words, or even 500-1000 you should still get your A. Teachers need to learn that making a good point is more important then the fucking word count. I'm pretty smart when it comes to english. I'm in advanced placement classes and im only a sophomore in hs. If you need help with another paper send me a PM or shoot me an instant message. My AIM sn is Big Guy827LR. Good luck!

  30. #30
    hoss827's Avatar
    hoss827 is offline Banned
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Somewhere in cyberspace..
    Posts
    1,330
    Yeah! Julius Caesar, ask me about Rome or Greece and I can help you out juuusssttt fine.

  31. #31
    bornbad71's Avatar
    bornbad71 is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    BULLDAWG COUNTRY
    Posts
    2,724
    Well I don't know crap about any of that stuff...........but if u ever need help writing about Playboy or something like that..........then just ask Talon .........he's got bathroom poetry......

  32. #32
    cb25's Avatar
    cb25 is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    AZ to MA...depends on whe
    Posts
    2,781
    I'll add my offer of help again...i took some lit. classes in undergrad, so let me know if you've got some other stuff...i'm always glad to help...

  33. #33
    peam's Avatar
    peam is offline Suspended
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    1,779
    We're doing MacBeth next.... so... any of you experts on that?

  34. #34
    bornbad71's Avatar
    bornbad71 is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    BULLDAWG COUNTRY
    Posts
    2,724
    Quote Originally Posted by peam
    We're doing MacBeth next.... so... any of you experts on that?
    Macdonald's.....hell yeah I love MacDonald's...go ahead ask me anything about there minu.....special sauce, lettuce, cheese, all on a sesameseed bun...

  35. #35
    peam's Avatar
    peam is offline Suspended
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    1,779
    yeah that girl in your avatar could use some mcdonalds..... fill out those ribs of hers!

  36. #36
    bornbad71's Avatar
    bornbad71 is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    BULLDAWG COUNTRY
    Posts
    2,724
    Quote Originally Posted by peam
    yeah that girl in your avatar could use some mcdonalds..... fill out those ribs of hers!
    Now that's not nice......all those ribs need is some barbq sauce....it's just how she's holding her arm up.

  37. #37
    peam's Avatar
    peam is offline Suspended
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    1,779
    well.... she's got a nice body... except for that... I really think she'd look way better if I couldn't make out all 12 of her ribs

  38. #38
    bornbad71's Avatar
    bornbad71 is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    BULLDAWG COUNTRY
    Posts
    2,724
    Quote Originally Posted by peam
    well.... she's got a nice body... except for that... I really think she'd look way better if I couldn't make out all 12 of her ribs
    Maybe I'll get time to post more pics of her and it might change your mind....she's not my dream girl(my wife is)...just like the way she looks

  39. #39
    peam's Avatar
    peam is offline Suspended
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    1,779
    seriouslyawww that's so sweet that your wife's your dream girl awwwwww I want my husband to say that to me when we're married....awwwww

  40. #40
    mass junkie's Avatar
    mass junkie is offline banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    on the net
    Posts
    8,849
    Quote Originally Posted by peam
    seriouslyawww that's so sweet that your wife's your dream girl awwwwww I want my husband to say that to me when we're married....awwwww
    Peam your my dream girl

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •