huh? is offline Associate Member

Unhappy meals pre-workout or post-workout?

i dont know how to eat around training, im finnaly not sick anymore and im going to the gym to work out with my friend, its back day...here is what i usually do

8am: protein shake, 4-5 egg whites, wheat toast.

10-11am: small tuna pack, 2tbsp mayo, water or apple juice

12-12:30: workout

1:15-1:30: walk/stretching afterwards to cool down

2:30pm: protein bar or shake

4pm: fruit

6pm: dinner, meat, salad and such..

9pm: protein shake then bed

50%Natural is offline Respected Member
    I always have a shake before and after my workout. I always take bcaa's with it. I have read that shakes are good about an hour before you work out cause it saturates or does something for them that is good. After my workout I have a shake, half straight protein and half weight gainer shake. I usually have a meal within about 45 minutes of the shake. Other than that mine is about the same. I usually have 4 or 5 shakes a day and 3 meals with solid food. That is 3 real meals not just snacking cause I eat yogurt and granola bars and other stuff like that throughout the day.

rambo is offline The Lord God
    Try the diet forum.

shorty2big is offline Member
    I like a small solid, high protien food meal about an hour before the workout. High protien because some carbs can make you sluggish/sleepy and a solid food meal because it will digest slower and provide a steady stream of nutrients through the workout. After the workout, I like a meal replacement because it will digest quicker and you will recieve the nutrients at a faster rate. Then about 1 1/2-2 hours later, another solid food meal.
    S2B

Catamount is offline Associate Member
    I like something that is going to fill me up about an hour before. I'll just have a light dinner with some meat and potatos then maybe some yogurt right before. Right after the workout I'll have a protein shake and a bowl of fruit for some carbs.

BluEyedClubr is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by huh?
    i dont know how to eat around training, im finnaly not sick anymore and im going to the gym to work out with my friend, its back day...here is what i usually do

8am: protein shake, 4-5 egg whites, wheat toast.

10-11am: small tuna pack, 2tbsp mayo, water or apple juice

12-12:30: workout

1:15-1:30: walk/stretching afterwards to cool down

2:30pm: protein bar or shake

4pm: fruit

6pm: dinner, meat, salad and such..

9pm: protein shake then bed
    Don't take this the wrong way.... but how big are you? Are you getting enough protein? Are you trying to gain or slim down?

I wish I could eat that light ... I'm 235lb so I need to eat A LOT!

Quote Originally Posted by BluEyedClubr
    Don't take this the wrong way.... but how big are you? Are you getting enough protein? Are you trying to gain or slim down?

I wish I could eat that light ... I'm 235lb so I need to eat A LOT!

im 5'10 230 :O ill start eating more, im just figuring out a good meal plan ya know? thats why i post here to get good advice from guys like u <3

BluEyedClubr is offline Associate Member
    im 5'10 230 :O ill start eating more, im just figuring out a good meal plan ya know? thats why i post here to get good advice from guys like u <3
    DAMN BRO.... 5'10 - 230... you jacked?

Wow I feel small now... I'm MUCH taller than that... heaviest I've eva been was 250lb durin cycle... my goal is to hit 260-270 and stay there...

Shredz is offline Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shorty2big
    I like a small solid, high protien food meal about an hour before the workout. High protien because some carbs can make you sluggish/sleepy and a solid food meal because it will digest slower and provide a steady stream of nutrients through the workout. After the workout, I like a meal replacement because it will digest quicker and you will recieve the nutrients at a faster rate. Then about 1 1/2-2 hours later, another solid food meal.
    S2B
    Are you copying me!!!??? Bro this is exactly how I do it. I also take a Maltodextrin carb drink to aid in replenishing my muscle glycogen. Other then that my MRP also has 10gms of glutamine and 52gms of protein. Then like S2B said a solid meal 1-1 1/2 hours later.

bornbad71 is offline Anabolic Member
    About 1-1 1/2 hrs before I workout I consume a food meal(mainly protien).
    During my workout I consume an energy drink and on leg and back days I'll also consume 20-30g protien shake to get extra for those days.
    Post workout shake(within 15 mins. of finishing my workout) with 40g protien and 51 grams simple sugars and 5g glutimine.
    @1-1 1/4 hrs. later I'll consume another meal high protien with some complex carbs.

I do not eat for about 1 to 2 hours before a workout or else it's all coming out I *may" have a shake about an hour before workout... that'll stay down (except on leg day).

I do have a shake after workout in the lockers while changing, and have tuna or chicken within 30-60 minutes.

Red

bigol'legs is offline Quadzilla
    You know for some reason when I have oatmeal before a leg workout my stomach seems more settled down and less prone for vomitting? maybe im just a freak... hehe

Bigboy123 is offline Senior Member
    I dont have a set schedule like u stated although i go by getting 55 grams of quality protien in my body at least every 1 1/2 to 2 hrs... Usually i go shake, meal, shake meal, throughout the day... But basically u want to grow u got to fuel the machine....

Lostsoul is offline Associate Member
    before and after a workout i have a fruit salad, 2 raw eggs (whole) and a protein shake (30-40grams) thats about it.

Most of my diet otherwise is quality protein, but only about 100g a day in total, most of my diet is also fruit, have been doing this for a while and it seems to work well (i'm 260lb too)

Da Bull is offline Banned
    Well at 230 5'9'' I NEED LOTS OF FOOD.Start the morning with 8 egg whites and 1 whole egg 1 cup grits,2hrs later 45 grams whey,1 hr later gym,after workout amino spike and 900 wieght gainer,then 2hrs after solid foods rest of day every 2 hrs til 7 is complete.Take in total 450 grams of protien daily for now,but will be upping it shortly. b/f 12%

this morning when i woke up i ate 6 egg whites, some toast some ham, then a little later i had a shake, a small tuna pack, then lunch, 4 chicken breasts and a small salad, then before workout drank a shake, worked out my back then 30 min later ate some more chicken with a shake and some broccili, then for dinner i had a steak and some rice and some juice.... i felt like i was gonna vomit from eating so much, i guess it takes getting used too...

btw, im not jacked, mostly b/f but im strong ;[

this morning when i woke up i ate 6 egg whites, some toast some ham, then a little later i had a shake, a small tuna pack, then lunch, 4 chicken breasts and a small salad, then before workout drank a shake, worked out my back then 30 min later ate some more chicken with a shake and some broccili, then for dinner i had a steak and some rice and some juice.... i felt like i was gonna vomit from eating so much, i guess it takes getting used too...

btw, im not jacked, mostly b/f but im strong ;[
    Try some light cardio bro and spread your meals out a little more like every 2hrs and make them minis not choking down a ton of food at one time

Testify is offline Senior Member
    I eat a solid food meal about 1-1.5 hours before my training. About 15-20n minutes before, I "load up" with a high protein, low carb shake. Then afterward, I have a high protein and simple carb shake. I then wait an hour before eating a very high protein solid food dinner. It works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by bigol'legs
    You know for some reason when I have oatmeal before a leg workout my stomach seems more settled down and less prone for vomitting? maybe im just a freak... hehe
    I thought I was the only one who puked in the gym

bermich is offline Anabolic Member
    I was always under the impression to STAY AWAY from solid meals before a workout since the digestive system needs more blood in the blood stream to help digest the food you just ate. Thus, you wont get as good a pump as you would normally.
    Something small and wont bog you down like an orange or some pineapple. Quick natural energy before your workout and digests easily.

Just my opinion

Warrior is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by bermich
    I was always under the impression to STAY AWAY from solid meals before a workout since the digestive system needs more blood in the blood stream to help digest the food you just ate. Thus, you wont get as good a pump as you would normally.
    Something small and wont bog you down like an orange or some pineapple. Quick natural energy before your workout and digests easily.

Just my opinion
    Exactly, you don't want the blood in your stomach - you want it in the muscles. But - you also need to keep your body fueled for growth, recovery and for the upcoming training session. IMO, a small quickly digestable meal - nearly void of fats and higher, is good to have about 90 mikes before training. Then another quickly digestable food source postwrokout (protein/carbs).

Thread Information