Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By MuscleScience
  • 1 Post By frank13

Thread: Are Steroids immune-suppressive ?

Slacker78 is offline Member

Are Steroids immune-suppressive ?

Hello Folks, here we are.

The title is pretty simply: are steroids immune-suppressive during on cycle ?

As we know steroids bind to cortisol receptors, blocking cortisol activity; i suppose this could lead to an increase of a immune system reactivity/sensitivity while some people talk about an immune-suppression effect; this seems to be a contradiction....

Is there someone could clarify this concept better ?

Thank you.

MuscleScience is offline ~AR-Elite-Hall of Famer~
    Blog Entries
    If you take and AI or an estrogen blocker it can be. You need some amount of estrogen in your body for proper immune system function.
    Slacker78 likes this.
    “If you can't explain it to a second grader, you probably don't understand it yourself.” Albert Einstein

"Juice slow, train smart, it's a long journey."
    BG

"In a world full of pussies, being a redneck is not a bad thing."
    OB

Body building is a way of life..........but can not get in the way of your life.
    BG

No Source Check Please, I don't know of any.

Depressed? Healthy Way Out!

Tips For Young Lifters

MuscleScience Training Log

Slacker78 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MuscleScience View Post
    If you take and AI or an estrogen blocker it can be. You need some amount of estrogen in your body for proper immune system function.
    Thank you MuscleScience. Do you know instead, what is the interaction with cortisol by steroids ? Leaving estrogens stuff apart, cortisol receptors blocking, affect immune system activity ?

frank13 is offline "AR's Official Turkey Bacon Expert"
    I would think maybe if your not responsible with your cycling and your or hormone levels are all over the place it could leave your immune system slightly compromised but I would really think the opposite do to the fact that they give testosterone trt to people with compromised immune system's people with aids and such
    MuscleScience likes this.

MuscleScience is offline ~AR-Elite-Hall of Famer~
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Slacker78 View Post
    Thank you MuscleScience. Do you know instead, what is the interaction with cortisol by steroids ? Leaving estrogens stuff apart, cortisol receptors blocking, affect immune system activity ?
    Cortisol in high circulating levels supresses immune function as well. Many different factors affect its release, mostly high levels of prolonged stressors to the body.
    “If you can't explain it to a second grader, you probably don't understand it yourself.” Albert Einstein

"Juice slow, train smart, it's a long journey."
    BG

"In a world full of pussies, being a redneck is not a bad thing."
    OB

Body building is a way of life..........but can not get in the way of your life.
    BG

No Source Check Please, I don't know of any.

Depressed? Healthy Way Out!

Tips For Young Lifters

MuscleScience Training Log

Heapsreal is offline New Member
    Its mostly deca that has shown improvements in immune function. Im guess it progesterone effects has a flow on to cortisol is a possibility, similar in a way to pregnenolone has flow on effects to progesterone and cortisol??

I wish i had saved the link but there was someone saying how they had low cortisol/adrenal fatigue issues and improved greatly with deca, cant recall if anything else was run with it. I think it was only very low doses like 100mg a week or something along those lines. This person wasnt after bbing effects just improvement in general wellbeing. SO maybe someone with low cortisol given deca that fills empty cortisol receptors, may be enough to improve cortisol levels. Pure speculation though??

Also cortisol isnt totally suppressive of the immune system as it can increase neutrophil numbers etc again i think cortisol improves immune function in those with low cortisol and they are treated to raise their cortisol into a physiological level.

In a few months i will post if my wellbeing cycle(low dose sus/deca) has increased my low neutrophil count.

Thread Information