Mallet is offline Anabolic Member

Support For The Adrenals Part 1

If you have not yet done the test for your adrenals, then goto the thread entitled "Testing your adrenal function" first before reading this section. Here we will discuss a bit about the role of your adrenals and how they relate to your metabolic function. We covered the thyroid function last week...this is the second step in determining why we may have a low resting temp, and how to correct it. Some of you are already taking coleus and t-100X for a low RT and doing very well at recovering your optimal metabolic rate...this section is for those who still have a low RT even after thyroid support.

SUPPLEMENTS AND NUTRITIONAL SUPPORT FOR THE ADRENALS

If there is one area that natural therapeutics can play a significant role in prevention, it is in adrenal support. This is not a new concept. In Chinese medicine, adaptogen compounds such as ginseng were highly regarded because of their restorative abilities. By supporting adrenal function, your body becomes more resilient to the physiologic and physological effects of stress on your chemistry. By reestablishing balance in adrenal function, we can fortify and protect ourselves from our chronic "fight-or-flight" mode of respondinbg to stress, which is disrupting our metavbolic patterns.

Substances that increase nonspecific resistance of the body to a wide range of stressors are known as adaptogens. Adaptogens modulate, or balance the response induced by stress. Adaptogens have the unique ability to either stimulate or sedate, depending on the needs of the body.
    Signs of improvement include the elimination of the need for a midday nap, the end of brutal fatigue, the dissappearance of blue circles under the eyes; less anxiousness, nervousness, and tendancy towards depression; and reduced carbohydrate cravings. In addition, I have found that as your stamina and endurance increases, a better outlook toward life and improved resistance to stress begins to settle in.

I recommend a wide variety of nutraceutical and herbal compounds to support adrenal function. However the following agents are those that i find almost always work. Many times you will see a combination of these compounds in a single formula. Obviously, if you are not feeling the effects of chronic stress, some of these agents may not apply. I typically start off with an adrenal extract, rhodiola (Rhodiola rosea) and holy basil (Ocimum sanctum), adding other agents as needed. but these three are my top pics!

* Adrenal New Zealand glandular (this is already in t-100X) 200-300mgs, two to three times a day, or adrenal cortex New Zealand glandular: 250mgs, tweo to four times a day.

* Rhodiola root: 50-250mgs, two times a day, standardized to 3 to 5 percent rosavins.

* Holy basil: 400-800mg, one to two times a day, standardized to 1 percent ursolic acid.

* Relora: 250mg, two to three times a day if needed for anxiety or nervousness, chronic stress, or sleep patterns disturbed by stress.

* L-theanine 50-200mg, one to three times a day if needed for chronic stress or anxiety.

* Moducare: three doses of 20-40 mg, three times a day for the first thirty days between meals; thereafter, one 20-40 mg dose, three times per day if needed to support immunity during stressful times.

* DHEA: An initial dose of 5-50 mg of dhea daily if needed to help balance adrenal hormone production.

* magnesium: 600-1,000 mg a day if needed to slow the release of stress hormones.

* B vitamins, especially B6 or pyridoxal 5 phosphate (an activated form of B6): (Vitamin B6 is essential for the production of adrenal hormones and energy function. Pyridoxal 5 phosphate an activated form of B6 used more readily by the body.) If using B6: 50mg a day; if using P5P: 10-15 mg a day.

* Vitamin C: 500-1,000 mg a day for production of adrenal hormones.

I beleive that dietary supplements are essential for supporting metabolism and defending against day-to-day environmental stressors. But the true foundations for insulin , thyroid, and adrenal balance, long term weight control, and reducing the risk of developing chronic conditions, such as diabetes and cardiovascular disease, are sensible food selections, lifestyle and behavioral changes, and regular exercise. Initiating behavioural changes one step at a time leads to overall lifestyle changes that can permanently change your dietary habbits. With the right changes, you can improve your own metabolic effeciency.

Next part (2) we will dive into nutritional support for the adrenals...
    Last edited by Mallet; 04-08-2004 at 10:01 AM.

Bump!...I guess nobody is all that cocerned about their adrenal function? This plays a important role in metabolism!, and Anabolism!/ catabolism

powerlifter is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mallet
    Bump!...I guess nobody is all that cocerned about their adrenal function? This plays a important role in metabolism!, and Anabolism!/ catabolism
    I just hadn't seen it yet Bro - as always nice post - bump to the top

Quote Originally Posted by powerlifter
    I just hadn't seen it yet Bro - as always nice post - bump to the top
    I figured I could count on you!

Da Bull is offline Banned
    Thanks for bumping it up bro....I missed this earlier....great post!!

powerlifter is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Da Bull
    Thanks for bumping it up bro....I missed this earlier....great post!!
    Always a pleasure Bro

Juggernaut is offline AR Jester
    Well Mallet you've yet again come up with something I never thought of......but I'll be changing this situation pronto. I take it I cab find these things at my local Vitamin shop?

Quote Originally Posted by Juggernaut2148
    Well Mallet you've yet again come up with something I never thought of......but I'll be changing this situation pronto. I take it I cab find these things at my local Vitamin shop?
    A good health store shoukld carry these items, even some pharmacies have the basic ones! Any problem finding something on the list let me know, i can probably source it out for ya!

Xiaolin is offline New Member
    How would you know that you have adrenal fatigue and what sort of adrenal fatigue? Does it affect the whole of the adrenal glands? As far as i know adrenals produce more than 50 hormones and some other not even yet known to doctors/scientists in different yrs of someones life.

Anyways, how can someone progress to adrenal fatigue? And i mean the serious one the one you cant get out of bed or do any normal activities.
    Can someone have normal erections and sexually be well but on the other hand have so little energy not to be able to do anywalking around or do the slightest of exercise for months?

Does anyone know how can adrenal fatigue be corellated with overtraining syndrome? Does sympathetic overtraining or parasympathetic lead to adrenal fatigue? Since both those conditions mimic some type of adrenal dysfunction and are classified as neuroendocrine disorders which affect cortisol/testosterone and catecholamines what would be someones predispotion to adrenal fatigue after being severely overtrained.

Im curious because i think i am a sufferer but cant get to any solution. I have ordered the oral saliva test but dont know what to do after that or how to treat such a condition

symptoms- (for the last 5 months)

-overal body weakness
    -inability to get out of bed in the morning despite sleeping for more than 8 hours
    -very low energy/washed out feeling during the whole day
    -sugar cravings all day long
    -put on 25 pounds of extra weight/ fat accumulated around a**omen
    -light sensitivity problems/ pupils get seriously dilated after exposed to bright light for a few minutes and give me panic attacks and cardiorespiratory problems
    -low upper body temperature
    -muscular atrophies
    -cant put back muscle
    -feel worse after exercise or develop bronchitis
    -headaches/nausea (went away lately)
    -retrosternal burning the anxiety type after slightest exercise
    -tremors
    -serious insomnia (cant get to sleep or wake up every hour)

thinking of taking a glucose tolerance test as well to see if somethings wrong with my carbohydrate metabolism. I keep eating and eating and no energy comes out

thanks

Thread Information