nyckid is offline Junior Member

Return of the Smashing Machine

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tonight, heavyweight Mark “The Smashing Machine" Kerr makes his return to mixed martial arts in the IFL's Superfight against Mike Whitehead, a contestant from the second season of Spike’s Ultimate Fighter. Kerr, a D-1 NCCA wrestling champion at Syracuse University, brought mayhem and brute force to MMA in the late 1990's and briefly after Y2K. His success came during one of the most violent periods in MMA when there were few rules and regulations. But Kerr is best known as the main subject of an excellent HBO documentary that came out in 2002, appropriately called “The Smashing Machine.” It showed him during a time when his life was as reckless, tortuous and forbidding outside the ring as it was inside it. While Kerr came across as a young man/gladiator with a load of problems, he was eminently likable—and you were pulling for him from the get-go. Not just fans of MMA but anyone who saw the film was left wondering, What ever happened to that guy? Is he alive? Not only is he still with us, he’s doing very well--mentally, emotionally, and physically. And the articulate, personable behemoth says he’s still got some fight left in him, too.

http://fightbeat.com/article_detail.php?AT=207

soo2bhuge is offline Senior Member
    I read that he's coming in at 260lb. Is he back on the sauce or what? I saw the picture of him at the weigh-in but he had his shirt on so I couldn't really tell how he looked. Hope he's ready to go!

uponone23 is offline Associate Member
    I own 2 copies of the movie... He is a case kinda like Ike Ibeabuchi (a boxer) if his life would have gone differently there is no telling how good he could have been... He had the most athletic frame, Bas as a trainer and he was a psychotic animal in the ring. OH well you win some you lose some.

http://ringsidereport.com/rsr/news.php?readmore=254
    This is a story about Ike "the president" Ibeabuchi in case you never heard of him

Quote Originally Posted by soo2bhuge
    I read that he's coming in at 260lb. Is he back on the sauce or what? I saw the picture of him at the weigh-in but he had his shirt on so I couldn't really tell how he looked. Hope he's ready to go!

Lets just say its not the same 260 he weighed in 2000......

Standard01 is offline Associate Member
    Kerr was never very good. Who did he ever beat? A couple jiu-jitsu guys that weighed 60 pounds less then him. Kerr might be the most over rated MMA fighter of all time. When he finally fought decent competition he got wrecked by Igor and Herring.

Knockout_Power is offline "Even sexier than Siggy"
    Quote Originally Posted by Fightbeat
    Well I do know he has been extremely active. He has fought seven times in 2007, and is currently on a six-fight win-streak. Given his activity and your inactivity are you at a disadvantage in this fight?.
    DAMN RIGHT he has been active, he has already fought 7 times NEXT YEAR...

Sepsis is offline Member
    is this fight televised, i wouldnt mind seeing it!

Hunter is offline Grateful
    Mark Kerr is coming back not the smashing machine. Kerr is a shell of him former self, I wish him all the luck in the world but he really should not be trying to make a comeback

zodiac666 is offline Senior Member
    always loved kerr, hope he does well. glad to see he has his life back on track.

J.S.N. is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Standard01
    Kerr was never very good. Who did he ever beat? A couple jiu-jitsu guys that weighed 60 pounds less then him. Kerr might be the most over rated MMA fighter of all time. When he finally fought decent competition he got wrecked by Igor and Herring.
    yeah but he was fighting in mma not vale tudo. he couldn't elbow, head butt, etc.

Yeah Kerr got his ass handed to him... And he looks like hell

Thread Information