Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer

Martial arts and muscle gains?

I really want to get into some kind of martial art again. I loved wrestling when I was into it and the only thing that turned me down was all the insane exercised meant to increase strengh and stamina. The technique training was awsome buit the other stuff I wanted to do on my own.

How do you feel training any martial art maby twice a week or so effects your strenght and mass gains?

btw what martial art would go best with bodybuilding?

I like the companionship in a martial arts club as much as the arts itself so what specific martial art doesnt matter that much to me as long as its practial and possible to use in real life situations.

AnabolicBoy1981 is offline Anabolic Member
    try kickboxing

Quote Originally Posted by AnabolicBoy1981
    try kickboxing

isnt that so **** cardio demanding that running is almost required to be able to withstand the training and sparring??

Div1Wrestler is offline Junior Member
    Try Judo

BOUNCER is offline Retired Vet
    Quote Originally Posted by Div1Wrestler
    Try Judo
    DITTO..

Its what I'd have suggested. I do Judo and kickboxing, both compliment each other, and weight training. If your neglecting your cardio for more weight training your ripping yourself off. With increased CV fitness your muscles will be using their oxygen supply 100% better,l which in turn means increased local muscular endurance and strenght.

Don't sacrifice your cardio for more weight lifted!.

KAEW44 is offline Senior Member
    I find it hard to build or maintain muscle while training hard for fighting, after an actual fight event i just focus on bulking by increasing calories and rest and weight training, while bulking i will only work technique two or three times a week with martial arts....then before and actual competition i will start upping the cardio and fighting-specific training about a month before the fight to cut up and be in shape to fight....this technique works ok..but i'm still looking for ways to actually train fully and gain muscle

Quote Originally Posted by BOUNCER
    DITTO..

Its what I'd have suggested. I do Judo and kickboxing, both compliment each other, and weight training. If your neglecting your cardio for more weight training your ripping yourself off. With increased CV fitness your muscles will be using their oxygen supply 100% better,l which in turn means increased local muscular endurance and strenght.

Don't sacrifice your cardio for more weight lifted!.
    Interesting. Il have to look into judo clubs here in my town but the thing I dont like is the belt system.

what is the difference betwen judo and bjj?

good point about the neglecting cardio for weight lifting. I almost always make the best gains when Im cutting and doing ****loads of cardio

ohh btw the martial art I choose MUST be very knee friendly. My knees are wrecked. Totaly wrecked. It started back when I was wrestling and the constant bangs agains the knees(I was to stupid to buy knee protection) when getting thrown ****ed them upp. Could hardly walk in stairs the day after wrestling practice.

Nowdays when only weightlifting my knees works decent if I use PERFECT form in every leg exercise. But if I go heavy and let my form go the slightest then byebye knees.

BOUNCER is offline Retired Vet
    Johan I'm not sure what you mean about not liking the belt system. As regards comparing BJJ with Judo, I'm not the one to answer that one. My experience of BJJ is very limited. Regards your knee's, well its hard to think of a fighting system which is kind on them. Mine are pretty fvcked also, as is my shoulder, wrists and one elbow!.

Quote Originally Posted by BOUNCER
    Johan I'm not sure what you mean about not liking the belt system. As regards comparing BJJ with Judo, I'm not the one to answer that one. My experience of BJJ is very limited. Regards your knee's, well its hard to think of a fighting system which is kind on them. Mine are pretty fvcked also, as is my shoulder, wrists and one elbow!.
    Hum cant realy explain it I just dont like the system of gaining belts ect. I find the whole idea pretty ridicilous. If you are good at your sport you dont need the belt to prove it and I dont like how it separates groups.

Thats what I realy enjoyed in wrestling. Everyone wrestled everyone. Me a completel beginner. some other semi good dudes, a couple of old bastards that had been wrestling since childhood and a dude that had won euro championships. The variety sure was fun as hell.
    With a belt system it seems SO easy to seperate the "poorly" skilled from the good guys and because of that hinder the progress of everyone..
    Do you understand my point I think I explained it poorly but best I can explain

what do you do to protect your knees? I guess Il take up greco roman wrestling again just because its 20 bucks a year compered to well over 300 bucks a year for shootfighting, krav maga or similar. **** the prices are god **** outrageous

Megadeth is offline Junior Member

Thumbs up

Hey fellas. I know somebody already recommended kickboxing, but along the same lines I'd suggest Tae Kwon Do. I used to be in that for a few years and it's an incredible cardio workout, depending on the school you go to. Hits a lot of different muscles that you would never expect to get sore and areas where something like running might not touch on. But really, I think just about any martial art is beneficial Good luck.

Thread Information