Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BOUNCER is offline Retired Vet

Guys, who actually competes here?

I don't want to know what you've won as I truely believe winning isn't what competition is about. So who actually compete's in this forum?.

And in what style, or styles?.

If not now, what have style have you competed in in the past?.

USfighterFC is offline Anabolic Member
    You Know!!

Hunter is offline Grateful
    I live in the northern minnesota area. In highschool i was a year around wrestler. I started BJJ around 15 competed in some not many submission wrestling tourny's I got involved in muay thia around 17. I started mma after my senior year of wrestling(highschool season did not do free or Greco) MMA stole my heart.

sonar1234 is offline Banned
    Competed in shotokan karate when i was 13 after 4 classes i won the point system tournament gold medal.

Then moved on to kyo kushin where i did not compete.

Then i competed in Tae Kwon Do for 7 years there i won, lost got discalified, and that was about it.

I was suppose to go at the canadien championship back in 1993 i think it was held in Vancouver that year but i just gave up tkd.

If my back can healh and it takes such a long time i would very much like to get back into martial arts but for fun.

Wrestling, grappling comps, with college getting my head/diet/training regime together I dont have the time for mma. THough I wish I did cause they have amateur cage fights around here.

Tedbear981 is offline Member
    former Amateur Boxer here, just spar mostly now...do some BJJ but not formally trained

Quote Originally Posted by USfighterFC
    You Know!!
    Thumb wrestling doesn't count!.

For me its always been kickboxing. Then 2 1/2yrs ago I was invited along to a Judo class, got on the mat and was instantly addicted. While I still kickbox I haven't competed in probably 18months so I could concentrate on my Judo. When I get the time I drop in and train some Vale Tudo but haven't competed. I'd LOVE to try some Sambo but no one is instructing it here in Ireland yet.

Oh, my son is a national kickboxing champion three years running.

Hunter is offline Grateful
    Quote Originally Posted by groundandpoundpwr21
    Wrestling, grappling comps, with college getting my head/diet/training regime together I dont have the time for mma. THough I wish I did cause they have amateur cage fights around here.
    Yeah I turned down my wrestling scholarship d3 to train MMA. MMA just stole my heart, still help out with my highschool team though. Hope your college season goes great

realmxofxnoise is offline Junior Member
    I train BJJ & Muay Thai and hopefully will have my first amateur Muay Thai fight in a couple of months.

Quote Originally Posted by realmxofxnoise
    I train BJJ & Muay Thai and hopefully will have my first amateur Muay Thai fight in a couple of months.

Have you fought a BJJ comp yet?.

soo2bhuge is offline Senior Member
    Competed in sambo and judo for almost 10 years. Have been fighting MMA for about 2 years now, but just for fun and not in shows or anything.

simm is offline Senior Member
    Competed in freestyle wrestling,judo,amateur boxing and thai boxing..Done nearly every mma related discipline to very high standards/national in each sport!!

Panzerfaust is offline Ron Paul Nuthugger
    BJJ back in 1999 and competed in Gi & No-Gi tourneys...from TN to LA. Taught some Vale Tudo classes from time to time and that is what i love to do..rolling in the Gi is fun but i prefer vale tudo/mma training.

realmxofxnoise is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BOUNCER
    Have you fought a BJJ comp yet?.
    Unfortunately not yet. I'm still a little white belt, ha! Well big white belt technically, but you get the point. I'm definitely not ready to compete BJJ since I haven't been training that as much as my Thai Boxing!

We all have to start somewhere as they say....keep with it and good luck

tranzit is offline Senior Member
    I studied Ninjitsu for five years as a kid, boxed for two years, and did toro wrestling for two years. I started playing baseball after this and stuck with it. I will always have a place in my heart for martial arts though. I learned alot that had nothing to do with violence that i dont belive i could have learned doing anything else.

tranzit is offline Senior Member
    Also i trained with Roger neff, Kimo and some other UFC guys.. weight training.. ect.. never sparing. Roger was actualy my trainer back when i was a skinny ass 185lb bitch.

Monsteronjuice is offline Associate Member
    tahts a sweet deal tranzit

tallyjuice is offline Member
    BJJ for a few years. Boxing for 2. Wrestled in high school. Training for MMA fight next year. Wish me luck.

Billy_Bathgate is offline AR Vet / Retired
    i expect to do a bjj tourney sometimes this year..id like to do before i get blue...which could be anywhere from oh 3-12 months i would guess to ..well guess.

just started MT...would be awhile before i started thinking about that

do have some aspire to enter the local NHB tourney they have in my town. the guy that has won it 6 times, i easily now school on the ground. lots of haymakers and no skill. its kinda pathetic, but being im a relative small time with nothing other than mcdojo karate stuff its somewhat to be expected.

overall, i dont want to enter anything until i think i can win. not sure if thats the right attitude or not? its not that i would mind losing, but i want the confidence there first.

Box This* is offline Associate Member
    Boxing for me and thats about it apart from a little grappling and muay thai nothing much though.

I was twice in the final of my countrys chapionship and lost both times also competed in the british aba championships but never made it
    but i wont cry because i love the sport but no longer compete.

I help at a local gym...training youngsters 8yrs - 17yrs

Quote Originally Posted by Billy_Bathgate

i dont want to enter anything until i think i can win. not sure if thats the right attitude or not? its not that i would mind losing, but i want the confidence there first.

This is from a Judo site, but I feel its applicable to you...

Nowadays one does not see the same clear-cut technique as one used to do. All adopt a very stiff and defensive style and they appear to be entirely preoccupied with the idea of winning their contest, without any sign of aspiring to higher accomplishment.

One who aims high for the future must not be concerned with present loss or gain. The most important object in Judo training is to develop speed and free movement of the body. If one enters a contest with the sole idea of not being defeated, automatically the body becomes stiff and defensive - an unsuitable state for effective sharp action.

http://judoinfo.com/ukemi.htm

Personally I think its folly to wait untill you think you can win a competition before testing your skills. If we won evrey competition we fought in we'd never learn a lesson from our losses!.

I always think a competition is worth ten visits to the club/dojo (whatever) and I've honestly learn't more from my losses than I did from my win's in both Judo and Kickboxing. I truely don't believe I've learn't awhole lot from a win.

If you ever want to fight pro or semi-pro you'd better get those losses, draws and wins under your belt first.

Billy_Bathgate is offline AR Vet / Retired
    for sure, and thats what all the guys tell me as well. i should say, its not a matter of being confident to win (which is what i said) but more like confident that i have a chance and arent going to go waste 60 bux or whatever just to get schooled in 30 seconds...which i doubt would be the case now, but that was my thoughts 6 mo ago...ill step it up very soon

good advice though, ill keep it in mind for sure

BigMilan is offline New Member
    Hi guys
    New Guy.Started boxing in 1989 to 1995 and went from to 260 to 225(best fight weight for me) then Back to weight lifting .Had amature fights and boxed (spared) with some ranked guys.Did the grapling for a year but work and a girlfriend and working out didn't mix well,not enough time. Still hit the bag for cardio.

JJUnleased is offline New Member
    I'll be fighting in my first MMA Fight in a few weeks...

Been doing MMA, Bjj, and Thai Boxing for almost 3 years

GQ-Bouncer is offline Anabolic Member
    jujitsu gi/nogi tournaments - it's an ultra-relaxed atmosphere

ironfist is offline Elite Hall Of Fame ~ RIP ~
    Been in 2 Gi and 2 No gi BJJ tournaments...I was also 8-2 as an amatuer boxer...

Gmill13 is offline Associate Member
    I train and compete in Judo.

Quil is offline Member
    You Know!!
    Hey, Frank Trigg in the house !!

I trained BJJ and Muay Thai and hoped to get into some tournaments/fights eventually, but moved from DC to Anchorage, AK in January. I haven't found a place to train up here yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Quil

I trained BJJ and Muay Thai and hoped to get into some tournaments/fights eventually, but moved from DC to Anchorage, AK in January. I haven't found a place to train up here yet.

Thats quite a move man. What made you go all the way to Alaska?

sp9
    sp9 is offline MMA Competition Sentinel
    Quote Originally Posted by Quil

Have you gone to watch the AFC? They put on shows all the time. Rich Franklin and Jeremy Horn fought at their first event.

From their contact page:
    "Once you have filled out the Fighter Contract and/or Entry Form please bring in the paper work to our office at:
    401 E. Northern Lights Blvd. Suite 204
    Anchorage, AK 99503 "

There are lots of people that train up there. I could put you in touch with a few guys I know from internet mma boards.

http://afc.tv/

phwSSJ is offline Banned
    Pro MMA, Jiu Jitsu/Submission Wrestling, Amateur Boxing, Pro Kick Boxing (Muay Thai)

zimmy is offline Anabolic Member
    bjj... 1 tournament during my white belt days and got my ars handed to me so now i am a lil afraid to compete again need too though

Quote Originally Posted by phwSSJ
    Pro MMA, Jiu Jitsu/Submission Wrestling, Amateur Boxing, Pro Kick Boxing (Muay Thai)

Where do you train out of for MMA and where did you train out of for Muay Thai?

Quote Originally Posted by zimmy
    bjj... 1 tournament during my white belt days and got my ars handed to me so now i am a lil afraid to compete again need too though
    Serious?.. Buddy white belts are not expected to win. Your expected learn from your defeats. If you were fighting another white belt you most likely got beaten on aggression and not technique, go back and see what you've learned in the meantime. Your crazy if you don't.

energizer bunny is offline Attitude is a little thing that makes a big difference
    Boxing training for 3 years doing me medical, first fight hopefully Oct/Nov this year, hopefully jst a stepping stone MMA is what i want to do in the future, jst want some ring experience first as its easier round my way to boxing fight than MMA.

phwSSJ is offline Banned
    I am going to fight at least three times between may and august....

HeavyHitter is offline Anabolic Member
    I wrestled in HS and college (D1) UMD. Would love to train BJJ and compete in some MMA fights, but my head isnt outta the party stage yet. Illegal fights dont count, right?

All you guys are animals!

zimmy is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BOUNCER
    Serious?.. Buddy white belts are not expected to win. Your expected learn from your defeats. If you were fighting another white belt you most likely got beaten on aggression and not technique, go back and see what you've learned in the meantime. Your crazy if you don't.

lol i'm going to ...what happened is i went up against a no stripe white belt...and i was maybe a month from blue :P

he was afraid of ranking and didn't do anything...I had unfortunately not trained in take downs as much as i should of (i was a big guy so i was relying more on sprawling reversal)... ne way... he didn't do anything and i didn't shoot, so when i finally got annoyed and tried a hip toss towards the end, I got caught off balance and he took advantage...long story short... i was embarressed...

n e who...i'm gonna sooner or later

Quil is offline Member
    Thats quite a move man. What made you go all the way to Alaska?
    The US Marshals Service. Got a job promotion and needed to move to Alaska to get it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information