Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Only one fighting style. The most effective.

TheMass is offline New Member
    Muay Thai is the most dominant fighting style
    Put a wrestler or BJJ fighter in the clinch and take them apart

CaptainGoose is offline Junior Member
    I get what a lot of guys are saying but for a street I would go with western boxing because on the street you do not want to get on the ground even if you new BJJ ever.

I've trained in BJJ not very well, MT decent, karate and TKD. Learning boxing now on my own.

craftspace2345 is offline New Member
    Definitely BJJ. Grappling>Striking for sure. Most people do not know how to defend themselves on the ground. And nearly all fights end up on the ground. This is why BJJ is the best martial art in my opinion.

Yeah muay thai and boxing are okay. You may be able to get a hit or two on your opponent but what are you going to do when you get taken down the ground lying on your back? All it takes is one takedown.

And for those of you that say "Well BJJ won't prepare you for multiple opponents". NO martial art protects you from multiple opponents! If you plan on getting into 1v5 fights, you better start learning track not martial arts!
    Obs likes this.

Trapology is offline Associate Member
    I really dont think there is a most dominate style it just depends on whos using the style and against who
    We have even seen a resurgence of some guys using karate effectively

45lb is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Trapology View Post
    I really dont think there is a most dominate style it just depends on whos using the style and against who
    We have even seen a resurgence of some guys using karate effectively
    this

mosaicman3 is offline New Member
    This guy know's what he's talking about. I trained shotokan karate for just under 10 years, and I could destroy a non-moving target, I've learned some very fancy arial kicks, spin kicks, grabs to strikes, ect. Even when you get to the more advanced katas (Gojushiho Sho, Tekki Sandan, ect.) you learn some very impractical moves, but you look like a badass doing them, even in Bassai Dai, the initial moves are to break down a large wooden door, sounds bad ass, but the move would literally break both of your hands irl.

After switching over to an MMA gym (for 4 years), I learned basics from many styles, but from what you mentioned. Muy Thai would be my first pick for a multi person scenario. BJJ would be my first pick for a 1v1 against a thug, Wrestling would be my first pick 1v1 against somebody who knows how to fight.

T-boner is offline Associate Member
    BJJ without a doubt. I train BJJ and I never pull guard. If I end up on my back then I can finish from there too. The question was if you could only learn one style what would it be. Sure it's good to know standing and ground but which one is most valuable? If you YouTube street fights you will find that just about every fight is only standing for a few seconds and then you are on the ground. It's rare that you would be getting into it with a trained fighter on the street but even if you did, it's not hard to take it to the ground. The more someone throws strikes the better my jiu-jitsu works. When they throw punches they fall into everything. It's true that some BJJ techniques are only good for tournaments because some leave you open for strikes but any trained fighter knows which techniques to stay away from in self defense situations. BJJ was invented for self defense. It morphed into a sport but the self defense techniques are still valid. If I had to fight a trained fighter on the street and I could pick what style he was trained in, I would hope he trained may Thai or some other striking art. It is very easy to tie them up, gas them out, and then take any submission I want. There is no martial art that works on multiple attackers. You can train all you want but 4 untrained idiots will whip your hind end easily. If you want to train for multiple attackers you need to be doing wind sprints so you can out run them.

clearwater is offline New Member
    I've studied and practiced martial arts and boxing since I was quite young. Over the years I met a lot of different practitioners who trained in various styles. Many would argue this but it's only due to ignorance. The supreme martial style is Tai Chi. A high level Tai Chi master has ability to move and manipulate chi. Every style I see mentioned here depends on muscles for their performance. The practitioners get weaker and slower as they age. I personally witnessed a 93 year old master wield a 300lb sabre as the it was a fencing foil. Chi is the key.
    cheers ya`ll

We had a guy come to class that was all in to that chi stuff. My instructor was teaching a defense for when someone takes your back. He said, "what would you do if somebody has your back like this". The guy raised his hand and as calm and serious as he could be he said, "I'd disappear and then reappear behind my opponent." My instructor said "that sounds pretty cool. I'd like to see that." So the guy went out on the mat and the instructor took his back. The guy took a deep breath, paused, and then said, "I'm not feeling it right now." Serious as he could be. I'd say it's probably not a good idea to rely on chi in a real fight.
    YERDADDY likes this.

InternalFire is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by omegagboost View Post
    gun-jitsu. You'll never lose until you run out of ammo .

no seriously muay thai.
    made my day, "Gun-Jitsu"

yea, Im in for muay thai

Marsoc is offline Productive Member
    I'd say that there is no one way. But a solid base of just knowing how to defend and assault. Cuz all that flips and perfect cool looking fighting stance goes out the window when your pit fighting. I personally like momentum throws and using their momentum against them. Followed by various ways to eliminate any threat with a intensity of superior aggression. Been trading in for a special forces program so in any situation around the world anything can happen. So I like all styles

Defense is my Offense..Lethal but cautious

Chicagotarsier is offline Senior Member
    The joke was actually my answer.

I am the guy that brings the gun to the knife fight. Why are you learning a martial art? Protection? If so aikido is the king. You can bring any..and I mean any.. offensive attack at a trained aikido master and you will wish you had trained a different art. If it is about offense my 9mm beats your round house..lunge...jab...uppercut 100% of the time. 20 years military with 15 years deployment total and not once did I find a situation where an unarmed person posed a serious threat to me.

Why MMA is "fake" like WWE in my opinion. Put an Aikido master in the ring and he would have any of those "champions" crying uncle. Aikido also goes well with about any weapon combination. Everyone loved the John Wick movie...Keanu does a special close range gun technique coupled with aikido. Check out Steven Seagal. He is the rea deal...before he got fat and retarted in the brain. Watch his stuff where he takes on 5 and 6 others at once and makes it look like child play.

InternalFire is offline Anabolic Member
    how honourable can the fight be when there are tools/weapons of any kind involved, there fore no rules apply, the bigger faster gun and one handling it better wins, be it wood, steel, or lead, its a war zone - deal with it.

When bare hand fights are discussed, I am a fan of Aikido, and Mhuay-Thai also.

Quote Originally Posted by workhardgethuge View Post
    Depends on if you are looking for....for real world, krav maga is the best hand to hand combat. For MMA its tough....as bjj, mt, and wrestling are all such important aspects.

I,agree with krav for hand to hand, the military uses this for special forces units sometimes, judo is awesome for using then opponents own momentum and wrestling is nice. With that said there is no one best style. But a mixture of some. Cuz all that flips and fancy shit is out the door when your scraping

Kaido is offline Junior Member
    For self defense, definitely Muay Thai.

Why does everyone think Muay Thai is best? Muay Thai is useless on the ground. Do a YouTube search of street fights and see how many stay standing for more than 5 seconds. Pretty much none. If it's me, I'm gonna take you down and you ain't gonna stop it. On the ground BJJ dominates. If you don't train BJJ then you will do all the wrong things we hope you'll do and fall into everything.
    Obs likes this.

Obs
    Obs is offline Changed Man
    The greatest fighter I haver ever encountered in real world situations would choose wrestling. He was fast as fuck and could squat over 800lb. He also loved pain and was Satan on the ground. He would take one to two hits and get the person on the ground and pretty much rape them. Used his legs a lot. I tried and tried to get the idiot to tryout for mma. I don't know if "style" is superior in any way but I do know if your style is "standing" and you bump into a man like the one I just spoke of and you will be made a bitch. All real world fights go to the ground if you think they don't the the first time you meet someone who does your probably gonna get messed up. When the throats start getting stomped and the elbows start to drop it's a different world than in the ring with rules and a ref. Met some good mma fighters that got their asses straight up handed to them by fat ass retard rednecks.

Grappler13 is offline Productive Member
    I know the question is "One Fighting Style" but there are just too many variables. Like Obpowerstroke mentioned above, there are some freaks of nature out there and every fight is different unless both of the fighters are adhering to sport rules.

I trained BJJ with a Spetsnaz Captain who was a four time Russian national Sambo champion. He decided to get into MMA and entered a local MMA Octagon event in New Jersey. He got destroyed: I mean put in the hospital for a few weeks destroyed. Clearly the refereeing wasn't the best but I was convinced that he would dominate this little local MMA competition and he got wrecked. Think about it, this was a guy who is one of the elite spec-ops guys in the world and a world class martial artist in a pretty brutal art and some random guy about killed him. Now on the street I like to think it would have been different but who knows.

Ultimately, learning the angles of stand-up like boxing and Muay-Thai are awesome and I don't want to fight on the concrete unless it's necessary, but if the guy you're fighting has D1 wrestler takedown skills, you're probably going down if he chooses. On the ground, I don't think anything comes close to BJJ but you're still going to take a few punches (if not a bunch) while you set up. A really good guard will make it difficult for the guy trying to punch you and every time he tries, he's that much closer to having his arm broken or shoulder torn.

I propose if you really want to be as effective of fighter as you want to be, train several disciplines.
    Obs likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Grappler13 View Post
    I know the question is "One Fighting Style" but there are just too many variables. Like Obpowerstroke mentioned above, there are some freaks of nature out there and every fight is different unless both of the fighters are adhering to sport rules.

I trained BJJ with a Spetsnaz Captain who was a four time Russian national Sambo champion. He decided to get into MMA and entered a local MMA Octagon event in New Jersey. He got destroyed: I mean put in the hospital for a few weeks destroyed. Clearly the refereeing wasn't the best but I was convinced that he would dominate this little local MMA competition and he got wrecked. Think about it, this was a guy who is one of the elite spec-ops guys in the world and a world class martial artist in a pretty brutal art and some random guy about killed him. Now on the street I like to think it would have been different but who knows.

Ultimately, learning the angles of stand-up like boxing and Muay-Thai are awesome and I don't want to fight on the concrete unless it's necessary, but if the guy you're fighting has D1 wrestler takedown skills, you're probably going down if he chooses. On the ground, I don't think anything comes close to BJJ but you're still going to take a few punches (if not a bunch) while you set up. A really good guard will make it difficult for the guy trying to punch you and every time he tries, he's that much closer to having his arm broken or shoulder torn.

I propose if you really want to be as effective of fighter as you want to be, train several disciplines.
    Still pondering what bjj is lol. Yeah I mean real life like if ur life depends on it. Everything is out the window and it's just Instinct ..simply applying ur knowledge of movement and what does what to destroy ur opponent and to completely out match them In intensity and ur drive to methodically cancel them out. And endurance is a big huge huge plus. It gets u winded fast when ur wrestling and grappling around lol huge advantage

Quote Originally Posted by T-boner View Post
    Why does everyone think Muay Thai is best? Muay Thai is useless on the ground. Do a YouTube search of street fights and see how many stay standing for more than 5 seconds. Pretty much none. If it's me, I'm gonna take you down and you ain't gonna stop it. On the ground BJJ dominates. If you don't train BJJ then you will do all the wrong things we hope you'll do and fall into everything.
    Because on a street fight, if you get to the ground on top of someone their friend might come and soccer kick you in the face from behind. If you are standing and you can keep moving you have more control. Also if you meet a real legit Muay Thai guy, it's pretty hard to take them down.

Quote Originally Posted by Obspowerstroke View Post
    The greatest fighter I haver ever encountered in real world situations would choose wrestling. He was fast as fuck and could squat over 800lb. He also loved pain and was Satan on the ground. He would take one to two hits and get the person on the ground and pretty much rape them. Used his legs a lot. I tried and tried to get the idiot to tryout for mma. I don't know if "style" is superior in any way but I do know if your style is "standing" and you bump into a man like the one I just spoke of and you will be made a bitch. All real world fights go to the ground if you think they don't the the first time you meet someone who does your probably gonna get messed up. When the throats start getting stomped and the elbows start to drop it's a different world than in the ring with rules and a ref. Met some good mma fighters that got their asses straight up handed to them by fat ass retard rednecks.
    But getting punched in the face doesn't really hurt. A good striker can punch someone on the button and they go to sleep instantly, it's not a matter of toughness. I agree that wrestling rules everything, I am a wrestler myself but for self defense on the street, a decent striker can put anyone to sleep before they get the chance to grab him.

Obs
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaido View Post
    But getting punched in the face doesn't really hurt. A good striker can punch someone on the button and they go to sleep instantly, it's not a matter of toughness. I agree that wrestling rules everything, I am a wrestler myself but for self defense on the street, a decent striker can put anyone to sleep before they get the chance to grab him.
    Heard many say that and many think that. 27 skull fractures, progressive neuropathy, and still combative with police. Striking is effective immediately on most, others are just too stubborn to be turned off. Everyone tries to strike in a fight and they do. But a boxer or muy Thai is not gonna fare well on the ground with someone who lives the ground game in a street fight. BTW the guy I was talking about was a true badass. Was. Now he is almost entirely scar tissue on his right side and goes under the knife three times a year, deaf in one ear, paralysis of one side of face, has frequent seizures, arthritic, and set to die of injuries. If I were to street fight he would be my idol. Fortunately I'm not dumb. It's not easy or always possible to put some people down in one or two strikes, especially when they are evil as hell and coming at you like a freight train. Watched a lot lot lot of street fights. The ones that stand out are the one where someone hit someone square on in the nose with a Haymaker only to be taken down and brutalized. Strikers must strike and strike and strike and stay on their feet or die. The other way is take a hit so that you can take their life. And yes it is a simple matter of toughness. You can intelligently hit some people square on the button and still get a hospital room. I have seen it. Tough as shit and meaner than such goes a long way on the street. Books and classes and styles and rules only go so far on the street. Not arguing. Not being rude or smart assed. Lot of people I wouldn't fight without a .45.

.45ACP in the hands of someone with some training is a pretty badass martial art. I used to travel with sometimes up to $100K cash for bond. If I knew I had that kind of cash on me, my criminal client's friends and relatives knew it too. I'd always take a buddy along for the ride as a scout for getting the car boxed in or rammed and we drove heavily armed. Never had any issues but I made it known that if I was carrying cash like that, I was ready to defend with vigor. Never had any issues but I figure if someone will rob you for your wallet, why wouldn't enterprising criminals put some thought into scoring $100K cash. It's a nerve racking thing to have that much cash on your person!
    Obs likes this.

Couchlock is offline Banned
    .45ACP in the hands of someone with some training is a pretty badass martial art. I used to travel with sometimes up to $100K cash for bond. If I knew I had that kind of cash on me, my criminal client's friends and relatives knew it too. I'd always take a buddy along for the ride as a scout for getting the car boxed in or rammed and we drove heavily armed. Never had any issues but I made it known that if I was carrying cash like that, I was ready to defend with vigor. Never had any issues but I figure if someone will rob you for your wallet, why wouldn't enterprising criminals put some thought into scoring $100K cash. It's a nerve racking thing to have that much cash on your person!
    How bout the 10mm?

200gr at 1250 fps, 694 lbs at the muzzle...

Only one fighting style.  The most effective.-forumrunner_20161029_170851.png

Only one fighting style.  The most effective.-tanfogliofb.png

Everyone is making good points. Everyone agrees that there's no one style that covers it all. The discussion really needs to be broke down between standing and ground. Somebody should start a thread about which striking art is best and which is best on the ground. I think there's little doubt the Brazilian jiu-jitsu dominates the ground. I train BJJ heavily, but I'd personally like to add more striking to my training. I am inclined to add muay Thai but Krav is also attractive.
    Obs likes this.

I like the 10mm. The .45ACP is a classic round and there have been some amazing improvements since 1911. The firearm is the great equalizer. My wife carries a little .380LCP in her purse and keeps a couple of Glock 21s sprinkled about the car. Unless she's caught unaware, she's going to win a "fight" against anyone unarmed every time.

Have you looked into the development of the 10mm round? It stemmed from an unmitigated disaster where the FBI got into a firefight with some criminals with heavy artillery and lots of rounds. The FBI was still carrying .38s and other wheel guns and the ones that had riot guns with them had them in their trunks. It was a sad day.

I'm actually coming around on the 9mm personally. It's tried and true, a NATO round so it's available everywhere, and you can carry a lot more firepower with the 9mm v. the .45ACP. I'd just have to re-tool my entire shop and arsenal so I'm sticking with the 45s but if I had it to do over, I'd go all 9mm and all 5.56 for the rifles. Shotguns: 12 gauge all day.

Best single fighting style: The most effective? Being well trained with a firearm

Everyone is making good points. Everyone agrees that there's no one style that covers it all. The discussion really needs to be broke down between standing and ground. Somebody should start a thread about which striking art is best and which is best on the ground. I think there's little doubt the Brazilian jiu-jitsu dominates the ground. I train BJJ heavily, but I'd personally like to add more striking to my training. I am inclined to add muay Thai but Krav is also attractive.
    I'm partial from my history but I've never been hit as effectively by anyone but a trained boxer. That being said, the kicks from MT are devastating. All the Krav schools I've trained at seem kind of hokey. Don't get me wrong Krav is awesome but it's hard to train fish-hooks and eye-gouges and I think it may give some trainees a false sense of security. If I had to pick just one art to train, it'd be BJJ but again, I'm partial.
    Obs likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Obspowerstroke View Post
    Heard many say that and many think that. 27 skull fractures, progressive neuropathy, and still combative with police. Striking is effective immediately on most, others are just too stubborn to be turned off. Everyone tries to strike in a fight and they do. But a boxer or muy Thai is not gonna fare well on the ground with someone who lives the ground game in a street fight. BTW the guy I was talking about was a true badass. Was. Now he is almost entirely scar tissue on his right side and goes under the knife three times a year, deaf in one ear, paralysis of one side of face, has frequent seizures, arthritic, and set to die of injuries. If I were to street fight he would be my idol. Fortunately I'm not dumb. It's not easy or always possible to put some people down in one or two strikes, especially when they are evil as hell and coming at you like a freight train. Watched a lot lot lot of street fights. The ones that stand out are the one where someone hit someone square on in the nose with a Haymaker only to be taken down and brutalized. Strikers must strike and strike and strike and stay on their feet or die. The other way is take a hit so that you can take their life. And yes it is a simple matter of toughness. You can intelligently hit some people square on the button and still get a hospital room. I have seen it. Tough as shit and meaner than such goes a long way on the street. Books and classes and styles and rules only go so far on the street. Not arguing. Not being rude or smart assed. Lot of people I wouldn't fight without a .45.
    I don't disagree with you. I am talking generally. Of course there are exceptions to the rule but then it comes down to each man and his grit not to martial arts.
    The man you are describing really seems awesome, like a true beast. I am pretty sure you have some cool stories you can tell us sometime I really like reading stuff like that. It's a shame that there are people like him that don't fight professionally.
    How did he end up like that?

No doubt BJJ dominates the ground. Brother I would stay away from Krav Maga, to me it seems more like a typical martial arts scam. You should try Muay Thai I am sure you will like it!

Obs
    I don't disagree with you. I am talking generally. Of course there are exceptions to the rule but then it comes down to each man and his grit not to martial arts.
    The man you are describing really seems awesome, like a true beast. I am pretty sure you have some cool stories you can tell us sometime I really like reading stuff like that. It's a shame that there are people like him that don't fight professionally.
    How did he end up like that?
    Not a good story. Motorcycle wreck, wife was nine months pregnant with twin girls, took out two object markers at 90 mph and skidded 170 feet. I appreciated him being my brother a lot more than him being a badass. All badasses lose eventually whether to a man or not. He is still going. Got him on disability and oxycotin 80's. He was following me home that night aND we left the bAR drunk. Totally changed Me forever in how I treat people and what I strive to be. I always wanted to be a badass like him. Now I just hope when my time comes people remember me as the guy who loved people and would do anything he could for someone. Not trying to be cheesy or lovey dovey. This is why I would do any damn thing to avoid a fight. He always won and it gave him a terrible mindset. I would take a lot of ass kickings to keep him with us into old age.
    Grappler13 and Kaido like this.

Couchlock is offline Banned
    I like the 10mm. The .45ACP is a classic round and there have been some amazing improvements since 1911. The firearm is the great equalizer. My wife carries a little .380LCP in her purse and keeps a couple of Glock 21s sprinkled about the car. Unless she's caught unaware, she's going to win a "fight" against anyone unarmed every time.

Have you looked into the development of the 10mm round? It stemmed from an unmitigated disaster where the FBI got into a firefight with some criminals with heavy artillery and lots of rounds. The FBI was still carrying .38s and other wheel guns and the ones that had riot guns with them had them in their trunks. It was a sad day.

I'm actually coming around on the 9mm personally. It's tried and true, a NATO round so it's available everywhere, and you can carry a lot more firepower with the 9mm v. the .45ACP. I'd just have to re-tool my entire shop and arsenal so I'm sticking with the 45s but if I had it to do over, I'd go all 9mm and all 5.56 for the rifles. Shotguns: 12 gauge all day.

Best single fighting style: The most effective? Being well trained with a firearm
    Oh yes
    I am a 10mm nut

I own
    Delta elite
    Eaa witness custom (full dust cover) 10mm
    Glock 29 (also have a threaded muzzle break 9x25 dillon barrel, that round is sick!!)
    Star MEGA STAR 10mm
    Para p14 40cal converted to 10mm
    Early GREYS CUSTOM sig p220 10mm conversion.
    And
    Smith 1076
    Took me 12 years to acquire all those.
    Need a bren. ....

They bad guys in that shootout were using ruger mini-14's
    Last edited by Couchlock; 10-29-2016 at 04:01 PM.

cousinmuscles is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I have trained BJJ (no gi) for 2 years and muay thai for a year. Was going to do Sambo with a very good and internationally known sambo legend but do not have the time to train martial arts now. If I would pick one, it would be sambo, because I can't see what BJJ, muay thai, boxing, or wrestling has that sambo doesn't. Of course training specifically (boxing instead of kickboxing or muay thai) gets you better in that regard but if you had equal time the more well rounded skillset is better.

BJJ has a lot of rules that make your mind closed to what grappling/submission fighting is all about. My trainer in BJJ said I was good. When I tried sambo it felt like those 2 years of 4-5x per week training was completely useless, and now that the years have passed and I have forgotten the details its even worse. On an instant your BJJ instincts give way too huge openings for leg locks, and you barely get a chance to gain a favorable position. Not only that but even neck cranks and some other ways to submit people.

Muay thai very effective IRL because if you have just a little skill in wrestling/grappling you know what to expect, you keep a distance and minimize risks. Having had to take care of a friend who got 50 stitches in his head from a street fight when drunk, I keep the experience in the back of my mind - if I end up having to fight someone I'll make sure I am tactical and minimize the risk of getting hurt, temporary anger can have longer lasting consequences, both me and the opponent.
    IronMasca likes this.

zejj is offline Junior Member
    Krav Maga

IronMasca is offline New Member
    This is a difficult question... I have seen many different results on street fighting here in Brazil... It depends much more on the fighter, not his style...

Vast majority voted for Muay Thai, but honestly, I have seen muay thai wannabe fighters getting spanked many many times...

Muay Thai in my opinion is a general martial art, it prepares you for everything, BUT it prepares you badly... What do I mean about that ?

Falcons can fly, Dolphins can swim, Cheetas can run & DUCKS can do all 3, but they are not good in any one... Thats exactly what Muay Thai is in my opinion...

If you wanna learn how to punch => Boxing (Group A)
    If you wanna learn how to kick => TaeKwon-Do (Group A)
    To dominate on the ground => Jiu-Jitsu (Group B)
    To throw someone in the Ground => JUDO (Group B)

So if u wanna be good at something just dont go for Muay Thai... My vote of single style would go to Boxing just because in real life most fights will end up with a single punch... And after u learn boxing, u can learn any group B style and you would be hard to beat...

But like I said before, it depends on the fighter and in most of the cases, who attacks first...

NihilistFighter is offline New Member
    I've been wrestling since I was in high school and found that when you go up against BJJ guys, their game starts where your game ends: when they are put to their backs. BJJ guys don't mind being on their backs which is where the game ends if you are a wrestler.

1moreset024 is offline Banned
    I prefer "Tap & Rack" fighting style

ptmikey is offline New Member
    Muay thai for sure. nothing better then knocking he guy out before the fight even starts

YERDADDY is offline New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Obs View Post
    THIS!
    All this "muay thai can strike good enough to keep the grappler at distance" is BS. The wrestler WILL NOT put his fists up and dance and wait for you to knock him out. If you think that you can keep the wrestler off of you because you can strike, you haven't fought off one of MANY that can take your one punch (IF you are LUCKY enough to get the first one in) on his way in to put you down. If you can't grapple and you fight a wrestler who isn't knocked out by your first strike you are already on your back and taking major damage. I've seen this DOZENS of times in real fights. Same reason he wouldn't have a chance in a ring boxing with a muay thai practitioner, is the same reason the MT guy doesn't have a chance keeping the grappler from taking him down in a real fight. His whole art is taking down people who EXPECT him to try to take them down. If you try to box (or kickbox) him, it's like taking candy from a baby. You have NO CHANCE.

As has been pointed out above, and I've tried to emphasize on the other thread in this forum, REAL combat is almost impossible to train for and all of this "who beats who in a real fight" BS is just really mental masturbation. You have NO IDEA who you are messing with, or what kind of weapons they (or their friends) are willing to use to do away with you. Stay out of trouble, keep your hands to yourself, and you will probably live longer and maybe get to go peacefully in your sleep at a ripe old age surrounded by your grandkids.
    Want to be a tough guy? Die in battle and go to Valhalla? You will eventually run into the one you never expected and he will send you there.
    Last edited by YERDADDY; 04-21-2018 at 04:02 PM.
    Obs likes this.

YERDADDY is offline New Member
    a decent striker can put anyone to sleep before they get the chance to grab him.
    A good wrestler will be way inside his strike zone and have him on his way down before he can land a punch.

Quester is offline Knowledgeable Member
    The point of wrestler v muy thai is easily demonstrated by the fact that no MMA champions are only 1-sided.
    Boxing's best attribute might be that, because it is so close-in, it is perhaps the most similar experience to a real fight. In other disciplines, you have to train long enough to get comfortable fighting without thinking about hurting your sparing partner.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information