Thread: a help needed

ricogl40 is offline Junior Member

a help needed

i am 6'5" 190 i am trying to put on weight while staying as cut as possible. i know you can't really do both at same time.... but i have been eating 6 meals a day, 2 shakes and 4 meals. average meal is like 5 or 6 chicken breasts, two or three plates of raw vegetables, and an occasional steak or fillet of fish thrown in. i often eat until i am really stuffed... and i have also just recently (two weeks ago) dropped my lifting to 3 days a week, down from 5 or 6, and really limited cardio. i am 20 years old, by the way. havent roided yet, just looking for suggestions. i am willing to do any amount of work and eat whatever it takes to reach my goals, just haven't been pointed in the right direction. please give me ideas

bigsd67 is offline Anabolic Member
    what are you other stats (bodyfat, training and diet (each meal) etc..)

MrMent1on is offline National Level Bodybuilder
    your pretty light fo ra 6'5" guy, you have a super fast metabolism. in order to do this you will not have to worry about fat and have some rice and potatos and i do mean white rice and potatos. what your doing it seems tome that your eating like a bodybuilder in competition mode that not going to put any weight on at all. think about changing your eating habits if you wanna gain weight, just know it also takes carbs to build muscles.

i haven't had bf checked in a while- last time i was around 12 percent, and i know i am quite a bit lower now (or at least i look a lot lower-- definitely see all muscles in abs, obliques, etc quite well) anyways, i do eat pretty low carbs, most i get is in a cup or cup and a half of boiled kidney beans per day (only 5 days a week) i guess i have just been afraid to eat a bunch of potatoes, bread, rice, etc cuz i don't want to get all puffed up or lose definition. then again, i guess i will have to lose some if i want to gain some serious weight. anyways, like i was saying before, i was working out 5 days a week, but now i have been going 3, mwf and doing this

mon- chest- bench press 3x10
    incline dumbell 3x10
    flys 3x10
    abs- crunches 2x20
    incline leg raises 2x20

wed- power cleans 3x10
    shoulders- upright rows 3x10
    mil press 3x10
    shrugs 3x10
    abs- same as mon

fri- arms- biceps- dumbell curls 3x10
    hammer curls 3x10
    triceps- overhead dumbell ext. 3x10
    cable pull down 3x10
    abs- same as mon and wed

diet has been pretty much meat and vegetables
    ex meal-- pretty consistent-

5 chicken breasts, 3 cups carrots and 3 cups broccoli, 1 cup of cottage cheese, a large salad with cup of red/kidney beans, and usually about 30 slices of lean turkey meat or occasionally about 10 oz of flank steak or a fillet of tillapia, salmon, etc. then a half an apple or some canteloupe/watermelon/ etc once a day. (occasional bannana)

that's been it-- basically, ive been working out (was 5 days a week, now, recently 3) for the last 4 months-- gone from about 181 to 189 and become much more defined, but id like to get to 200 or more and even more cut. i am willing to do whatever, cuz i know i am not making a ton of progress... i have somewhat plateaued (hoping new workout will change that) any help is appreciated. thanks!
    Last edited by ricogl40; 04-26-2006 at 05:29 PM.

what i would do is add some whole grain carbs to breakfast, pre workout and post workout. I find that when I add Oatmeal to breakfast and Brown Rice or sweet potato pre and post workout I stay lean and gain muscle. YOU HAVE TO INCREASE CARBS TO GAIN MUSCLE THOUGH. Don't fear them bro, I myself am a former fat boy so I was afraid of carbs and had to do my first show at 154lbs due to extreme dieting. Now I'm competing at 170 and hoping for more next year. It takes a long time to lose your cuts if you watch your food intake. Keep it clean and you'll stay lean (no i didnt mean to rhyme).

i will give it a shot. thanks bro

btw- what would you recommend serving size-wise for carbs? amount of potatoes, rice, etc. per meal to supply muscles adequately but not overload on carbs?

here's some pics.. too a little under 4 months of lifting and dieting
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails a help needed-before-2.jpg   a help needed-before-1.jpg   a help needed-after1.jpg   a help needed-after-2.jpg  

MrMent1on is offline National Level Bodybuilder
    Quote Originally Posted by ricogl40
    here's some pics.. too a little under 4 months of lifting and dieting
    FREAKING impressive bro. much respect.

start with 3/4 cup oats for breakfast (dry measure made with water), 1/2 - 3/4 cups brown rice or sweet potato pre and post workout and see how that works for you. If you are staying lean then i would recommend another 1/2 cup serving 2-3hours after your first post workout meal.

mrMent1on & bigsd67-- thanks alot guys for the help and advice... much appreciated! ill let you guys know how the carbs go. -ryan

No problem bro, I am a certified trainer and work as a fitness manager (and actually know my sh!t unlike a lot of other trainers around) so I do a lot with nutrition and training. I get a lot of my knowledge just by talking with the guys on the board and it does help.

one more quick question--- occasionally, i eat a protein bar in the early morning when i can't get in a full meal-- ive just been thinking if i can replace it with something else or a better protein bar, because the ones i have now have 31g of protein, BUT, 8g of tot fat and 5g sat fat (25%dv) and i was just wonderin if there is a better bar out there.

I would use a shake with oats over a bar. Bars are way too artificial and you never really know how much of the protein is really whey or just gelatin (bone marrow that your body doesnt utilize, but counted as protein grams).

Thread Information