PiecinItUp is offline Member

Laptop Networking

Hey guys, im sure this is going to sound retarded but I just got a laptop with wireless and I need a quick tutorial on how I can access files on my desktop via my laptop and vise versa...thanks

gjh
    gjh is offline New Member
    The same way as any computer. Share the file and go to network neighbor, find shared file and move file to the other machine.

gjh

Dally is offline The Dally Lama
    gonna depend on your OS, gonna depend on how your network is set up, gonna depend on if you router that your using for wireless access has some connections to allow it to network to other pcs, ie wire ports or if you have another hub or what...

but once that is figured out, you have to yes share files and make them accessible to the other machine/user etc

we need more info on your setup

mesomorph is offline Associate Member
    If you have XP, run the networking wizard first, before trying to share files, or you may have problems sharing them.

PiecinItUp is offline Member
    we run cable internet, I am the only one with a desktop and a laptop, both roomates have wireless laptops, but we have the wireless router and cable modem set up with eachother not connected to a computer. My desktop is in the basement under the router. I've ran the wizard and gotten everything to work from my desktop to laptop (even mapped a network drive so i can access all files off my desktop from laptop) but when i try to open the desktop network place from my laptop it gives me a weird error saying....

"Desktop is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contat the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.

access is denied."

P.s. whats a good program to stream media content on my desktop on my laptop?

mesomorph is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PiecinItUp
    we run cable internet, I am the only one with a desktop and a laptop, both roomates have wireless laptops, but we have the wireless router and cable modem set up with eachother not connected to a computer. My desktop is in the basement under the router. I've ran the wizard and gotten everything to work from my desktop to laptop (even mapped a network drive so i can access all files off my desktop from laptop) but when i try to open the desktop network place from my laptop it gives me a weird error saying....

"Desktop is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contat the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.

access is denied."

P.s. whats a good program to stream media content on my desktop on my laptop?

I have the same basic setup, cable modem & router, with another wireless hub for the laptops, so the 3 desktops are plugged into the router, and the wireless hub is also, and connects the 2 laptops in. All of mine can see every other PC. I have a mix of 3 98 & 1 XP Home & 1 xp professional. Once I ran the wizard on both XP machines they were both on the network. Getting out onto the web as a direct connection worked before I ran the wizard by the way on all the machines. Not sure what else to say .....

arthurb999 is offline Anabolic Member
    Just trying to rule out the obvious... was the desktop turned on.

arthurb999 is offline Anabolic Member
    Also, check the windows firewall setting on the desktop.

Thread Information