Jrock79 is offline Junior Member

Please Critique Diet!

Ok,

Looking for good advise and any critism I can handle...just looking for some direction and pretty much looking to improve my diet. I'm 25, 6'1'' 225lbs 14% BF (which I'm trying to lower).

Heres my schedule...up at 5:45 for work (I sit at a computer all day)
    I just do 1 hr of cardio on saturday mornings and Sundays I take off.

7:00 am 1.5 cups of original oatmeal w/ scoop of unsalted organic peanutbutter

10:00-Protein Shake (40 grms protein) with tblspn flax oil

12:00-16 oz of chicken with mix veggies (lots of broc. for antiox)

3:00-Protein Shake (40 grams) with tblspn flax oil, 2 Brown Rice Cakes

5:00-7:00-Gym--Routine Workout and 45 Minutes of Cardio

7:00 Home from gym-consume Protein Shake (40 grms protein, 75 grms Carbs)*no flax

8:00-can of tuna-low sodium low fat (out of the can)

9:30 HDT Blended Protein Shake (50 grms protein)

*protein is Designer and Carb powder is CarboMax.

Just by doing this I see I may have more protein than I need. And of course I leave two cheat days a month (pref. sundays on my day off) and of I know I shouldnt but I do have about 2-3 captain and diet cokes (appx 90 calories) on Saturday nights (I know this is bad but I need to stay social)
    Last edited by Jrock79; 07-16-2004 at 07:49 AM.

dalcowbag is offline Anabolic Member
    are you bulking or cutting?? either way it is very important to have your cardio be 6 or 7 times a week first thing in the morning on an empty stomach

DCB

Cutting...only problem is I work at 6:45-4:15...sorta have to travel in bumper to bumper traffic so by leaving at 6 i get to work at 6:45....no time in the morning...gym opens at 6:00

plus, I do 6 days of cario at 45 hrs + each day...I do post workout...should I move to pre? and the only substance (counting as food) in my system is a protein shake....

brian11 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jrock79
    plus, I do 6 days of cario at 45 hrs + each day...I do post workout...should I move to pre? and the only substance (counting as food) in my system is a protein shake....
    I would def. move it to preworkout. Its not ideal but its better than after your workout. If you spend 45 mins on cardio after lifting then you are missing the opportune time to get nutrients to your muscles.

-B-

also remember that your cardio shoudl be a brisk walk on an incline, so it wont tire you out for lifting

-B-

thats why I do post...I like to get my workout as intense as possible...then burn my A** out doing cardio where I can't breath (well close to it). I do have one problem with cardio though....can't do too much running...(use to play rugby and popped my knee cap out of place-it was fun).

thats why I do post...I like to get my workout as intense as possible...then burn my A** out doing cardio where I can't breath (well close to it). I do have one problem with cardio though....can't do too much running...(use to play rugby and popped my knee cap out of place-it was fun).
    why would you run anyway

Check out the workout forum for advice on cardio. But running is a no no. Bad for your joints and it burns muscle. If you are trying to keep your muscle then walk, on an incline, at 65%-75% target heart rate, for 45-60mins

Quote Originally Posted by brian11
    why would you run anyway

Check out the workout forum for advice on cardio. But running is a no no. Bad for your joints and it burns muscle. If you are trying to keep your muscle then walk, on an incline, at 65%-75% target heart rate, for 45-60mins
    -B-

-B-
    I dont run, I was just hoping I wouldnt get that advise...cause I cant

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    I would def. move it to preworkout. Its not ideal but its better than after your workout. If you spend 45 mins on cardio after lifting then you are missing the opportune time to get nutrients to your muscles.

-B-
    Never do cardio before weights. Your glycogen reserves will be lowered, you'll be hard-pressed to train as intense as you need to, and you're asking for nothing but trouble CNS wise.

~SC~

Quote Originally Posted by SwoleCat
    Never do cardio before weights. Your glycogen reserves will be lowered, you'll be hard-pressed to train as intense as you need to, and you're asking for nothing but trouble CNS wise.

~SC~
    thats what I thought...I'm always draggin a$$ when I do cardio first thing!

~SC~
    What other option is there though for him? Is it better to do it after lifting then?

-B-

thats what I thought...I'm always draggin a$$ when I do cardio first thing!
    sounds like a personal problem to me JK bro

-B-

sounds like a personal problem to me JK bro

-B-
    well if I could run at my desk I would, otherwise thats the only time of the day...so what about my diet????

What other option is there though for him? Is it better to do it after lifting then?

-B-
    After lifting sucks because you are going to (ideally) ingest pwo nutrition which halts lipolysis, but since you have weight trained prior, u can break into that fat burning zone quicker (quicker than the normal 15-20 mins) and make even a 30 min session pretty productive. Just keep the weights 30-45 mins, hard and intense, then move to cardio. After cardio wait 10 mins or so, then drink up.

Not nearly as ideal as a.m./p.m. splitting of the two events, but it's better than cardio first, weights after.

~SC~

After lifting sucks because you are going to (ideally) ingest pwo nutrition which halts lipolysis, but since you have weight trained prior, u can break into that fat burning zone quicker (quicker than the normal 15-20 mins) and make even a 30 min session pretty productive. Just keep the weights 30-45 mins, hard and intense, then move to cardio. After cardio wait 10 mins or so, then drink up.

Not nearly as ideal as a.m./p.m. splitting of the two events, but it's better than cardio first, weights after.

~SC~
    Thanks for the breakdown!

~SC~
    Makes sense. I have a question pertaining to all of this though. Lets say you do cardio first. Glycogen store will be low. I realize that you might be tired here but you could probably still get a decent workout in. Anyway the question would be that since your glycogen stores are so low after all this that your muscles would be even thirstier for the nutrients when you have PWO meal. Plus lyposis will continue while lifting so you get that added benefit too. Im just taking a different p.o.v. in order to learn, not to disagree or undermine your knowledge.

-B-

Makes sense. I have a question pertaining to all of this though. Lets say you do cardio first. Glycogen store will be low. I realize that you might be tired here but you could probably still get a decent workout in. Anyway the question would be that since your glycogen stores are so low after all this that your muscles would be even thirstier for the nutrients when you have PWO meal. Plus lyposis will continue while lifting so you get that added benefit too. Im just taking a different p.o.v. in order to learn, not to disagree or undermine your knowledge.

-B-
    Yeah, I hear what you are saying, and in theory that sounds like it would work. However, after 45 mins of cardio, even the 65-75% that doesn't totally deflate you, no, I'm a bit tired and ready to "cool down". My weight training is pretty intense, and it should be if you are looking to maximize your time in the gym, so I'd only be able to give about 40-50% of what I normally could. Additionally, the weight training is harder on the CNS than low-med intensity cardio, so putting this kind of intensity after you've already done cardio, is sending an over-training message to your body. That message is further reinforced when you feel your normal "push" to not be what it usually is, and you find yourself "petering" out quicker. Always easiest to do the hard/heavy weight training first (even if it's not "heavy"), then "relax" and do some cardio for a bit to mobilize some fat.

~SC~

Yeah, I hear what you are saying, and in theory that sounds like it would work. However, after 45 mins of cardio, even the 65-75% that doesn't totally deflate you, no, I'm a bit tired and ready to "cool down". My weight training is pretty intense, and it should be if you are looking to maximize your time in the gym, so I'd only be able to give about 40-50% of what I normally could. Additionally, the weight training is harder on the CNS than low-med intensity cardio, so putting this kind of intensity after you've already done cardio, is sending an over-training message to your body. That message is further reinforced when you feel your normal "push" to not be what it usually is, and you find yourself "petering" out quicker. Always easiest to do the hard/heavy weight training first (even if it's not "heavy"), then "relax" and do some cardio for a bit to mobilize some fat.

~SC~
    ok thanks. This is pertinant info for me bc once classes start up again in the fall my cardio/workout routines may not be ideal so i have to find "the next best thing" in terms of times to excersize.

-B-

mikeh is offline New Member
    Cutting...only problem is I work at 6:45-4:15...sorta have to travel in bumper to bumper traffic so by leaving at 6 i get to work at 6:45....no time in the morning...gym opens at 6:00

Can you get your cadio in by riding a bike (knee problem) or walking around your neighborhood at 5:45 am ?

Quote Originally Posted by mikeh
    Can you get your cadio in by riding a bike (knee problem) or walking around your neighborhood at 5:45 am ?
    Probably could. My knee just cant take too much heavy pressure (squats and intense cardio). I guess I could walk in the morning to dunkins and pick up my coffee (drink that black no fat there)

bad_man is offline Anabolic Member
    I just thought I'd put my two cents in - call me rude if you want. You won't be the first.

But another option is that you could get your ass out of bed earlier and do your cardio before work. Please don't tell me you're too busy because you have no idea what my schedule is.

Quote Originally Posted by bad_man
    I just thought I'd put my two cents in - call me rude if you want. You won't be the first.

But another option is that you could get your ass out of bed earlier and do your cardio before work. Please don't tell me you're too busy because you have no idea what my schedule is.
    Nice avatar

And yes you are rude

And yes that is an option, although not everyone can function very well without enough sleep and if he is already getting up that early then maybe its not a good option for him. Just remember that on this board there is a wide range of people who have wide range of goals. For the Hardcore BB waking up at 4 might be what he wants to do, but not for a lot of people. But that die hard attitude is admirable Badman

-B-

Nice avatar

And yes you are rude

And yes that is an option, although not everyone can function very well without enough sleep and if he is already getting up that early then maybe its not a good option for him. Just remember that on this board there is a wide range of people who have wide range of goals. For the Hardcore BB waking up at 4 might be what he wants to do, but not for a lot of people. But that die hard attitude is admirable Badman

-B-
    If you get up an hour earlier than you go to bed an hour earlier. It ain't rocket science.

If you get up an hour earlier than you go to bed an hour earlier. It ain't rocket science.
    Ok, im not going to get into a shouting match with you. You are over-simplifying it. It's easy to tell someone go to bed an hour earlier, but it isnt always that simple. Lose the attitude.
    -B-

I could get up at 4 am, you're right, but if you didnt SEE the title called help with my diet, thats all I wanted help with, it somehow turned into my routine.....but Im not going to bed at 8pm (I'm not 50 yrs old yet)...Sh*t, I need to function at work...I work in a fast paced high stress environment....getting up at 4 and I couldnt function til 4:30- I already drink 4 large D & D coffees a day....and stay up late enough to make a phone call for some booty....you have to weigh your options bro and as mentioned...we all have different priorities! I use to get up at 5 and run for a half hour-but man, when you start to crash at 2-3 and still have 2 hours to go, not good for business man...need to make money is better than waking up to run when I could after my workout!

Ok, im not going to get into a shouting match with you. You are over-simplifying it. It's easy to tell someone go to bed an hour earlier, but it isnt always that simple. Lose the attitude.
    -B-
    Screw you, you bad advice giving, million-question asking, fake girlfriend having, putz.

I could get up at 4 am, you're right, but if you didnt SEE the title called help with my diet, thats all I wanted help with, it somehow turned into my routine.....but Im not going to bed at 8pm (I'm not 50 yrs old yet)...Sh*t, I need to function at work...I work in a fast paced high stress environment....getting up at 4 and I couldnt function til 4:30- I already drink 4 large D & D coffees a day....and stay up late enough to make a phone call for some booty....you have to weigh your options bro and as mentioned...we all have different priorities! I use to get up at 5 and run for a half hour-but man, when you start to crash at 2-3 and still have 2 hours to go, not good for business man...need to make money is better than waking up to run when I could after my workout!
    We all make our choices dude. I was just offering some advice. Do what's best for you.

We all make our choices dude. I was just offering some advice. Do what's best for you.
    yeah no problem....This is my only portal outta watching the stupid market all day.....otherwise I would break my F*in computer!

yeah no problem....This is my only portal outta watching the stupid market all day.....otherwise I would break my F*in computer!
    I hear you. I'm trying to tell myself that physically hurting my broker is a bad idea.

I hear you. I'm trying to tell myself that physically hurting my broker is a bad idea.
    haha-well I'm sure now can understand now....Stress is my middle name...! But it pays the bills and buys my gear...prob. a bad idea to just pop that clen tab!

Thread Information