Matrix78 is offline Associate Member

Oats... do they have to be cooked?

do i have to cook oats before tossing them in a protein shake or can the be straight out the container?

also i'm not a big fan of "eating" alot of food in the AM i've been dieating down fro so long my stomach just cant hold a cup of Oats and 8 Eggs every AM... i'm presuming that as loong as i dont mind the taste i can just toss it ALL in the blender and drink it with some protein powder?

Boost n Juice is offline Associate Member
    Lot's of people do eat them raw, so it's not poisonous or anything...However some people get stomach aches after they eat them because the oats are like sponges and soak up a lot of fluids in the stomache...

Try 'em, if you get an upset stomache, soak them in water for a several hours before eating them...
    Last edited by Boost n Juice; 12-10-2004 at 10:11 AM.

symatech is offline Retired Moderator
    i just put them in the shake uncooked

ok thats what i wanted to know i was unsue if there would be any reason i "had" to cook them... i stuck them in the blender with my shake and turned them to dust and then mixed it all together it dont go down to bad and took alot less time that it would have to eat them cooked

on a side note, i'm sure i've seen that other people put eggs in thier shakes as well it might not taste good but again i'm sure it'll make breakfast alot quicker... any body see any reason to not throw my hard boild eggs in there too and purae them too and jsut drink it all? i would think not but it never hurts to ask

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    U can do that w/the eggs, yes.

I'd hurl all over personally though.

~SC~

Thanx Swole, no real harm in trying unless i puke then i'll just have to eat again

symatech is offline Retired Moderator
    heck I know guys who put raw eggs into shakes. But I would never do it myself and never would I suggest that somebody else do it. My old HS track coach used to do it, said it would make us faster but he ran the 400m in 43s so maybe he had something. just sound like an easy way to get sick.

Whitey is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Matrix78
    ok thats what i wanted to know i was unsue if there would be any reason i "had" to cook them... i stuck them in the blender with my shake and turned them to dust and then mixed it all together it dont go down to bad and took alot less time that it would have to eat them cooked

lol. how do you like that last gulp of shake? mine was like solid oats. f#ckin tasty - it was not, but i've had worse. and yes, it is a real time saver.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitey
    lol. how do you like that last gulp of shake? mine was like solid oats. f#ckin tasty - it was not, but i've had worse. and yes, it is a real time saver.
    hahah yeah that was yummy kinda like tree bark going down next time i'll keep sweraling the glass as i take drinks

hahah yeah that was yummy kinda like tree bark going down next time i'll keep sweraling the glass as i take drinks
    hell, yeah. you may be on to something here, bro - maybe an idea for the AR Spa Forum. a cleansing oatmeal scrub! lol! it scratched the hell out of my throat - would probably make a good exfoliant. seriously though, i was thinking of precooking a batch of oatmeal, refridgerating it, and then blending it into a shake when i need it. god only knows how that'll taste!

sooners04 is offline Senior Member
    WTF, I mix them in water and heat em up in the microwave for like 1 min. I love the taste of em.

Quote Originally Posted by sooners04
    WTF, I mix them in water and heat em up in the microwave for like 1 min. I love the taste of em.
    it has nothing to do with taste it's time taken to eat 1 cup of oats is a full bowl after its been cooked and i just dont wana sit around and eat i gotta get my ass to work

Quote Originally Posted by Whitey
    seriously though, i was thinking of precooking a batch of oatmeal, refridgerating it, and then blending it into a shake when i need it. god only knows how that'll taste!
    interesting idea there it should help with the dry ness of it but could still be blended into the shake for a quick drink... i think it would make the shake alot thicked wouldnt you?

sooners04 is offline Senior Member
    it has nothing to do with taste it's time taken to eat 1 cup of oats is a full bowl after its been cooked and i just dont wana sit around and eat i gotta get my ass to work
    Geez how long does it take to eat them. It takes me less than 5min to prepare oats a shake and eat it.

k_dogg is offline Associate Member
    on a side note, i'm sure i've seen that other people put eggs in thier shakes as well it might not taste good but again i'm sure it'll make breakfast alot quicker... any body see any reason to not throw my hard boild eggs in there too and purae them too and jsut drink it all? i would think not but it never hurts to ask
    why would you hard boil them first?
    i just run the gauntlet and throw raw eggs in my shake. cant taiste them. they do make the shake a little more fluffy when blended though. people talk about poisoning but nobody i know has ever been sick from eating raw eggs.

i might get some egg white powder wich would probably be better for the wallet than eating a dozen eggs a day.

i'd just rather not eat a raw egg, it would only take one to get you sick, why risk it

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Never eat raw eggs. K-Dogg, just because you personally don't know anyone who got sick doing this, does not make it an intelligent thing to do. I personally know of 2 people who have gone to the hospital from salmonella poisoning. That's like saying AIDS doesn't kill anyone, because I don't know anyone who has AIDS!!!

Anyhow, get them pasteurized if you are going to do the raw thing. Never eat raw eggs, that is just plain, well, stupid.

~SC~

You don't want to mess around with salmonella either. I got it a few years back. I was puking/dry heaving for 2 days straight. Felt like a sick animal. Gotta say though, from all the heaving, probably the best ab and lower back workout ever. I was sore for 4 or 5 days afterward - no joke!

Thread Information