sammycasper is offline Junior Member

Glutamine as a dietary suplement

Ok this is what I know: Glutamine helps with cell Volumization and it is Anti-Catabolic, and the bottle says take 1 rounded teaspoon/day, but I have read you should take up to 5 rounded tablespoons/day. I guess My question is how much and how do you guys take it. Thanks in Advance!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    I use about 5-10 grams per day myself.

~SC~

smegs is offline Member
    i use 5g twice daily

mitch911 is offline Member
    just spoon it into your mouth and swallow with watter..dont mix it into a glass of water

dalcowbag is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mitch911
    just spoon it into your mouth and swallow with watter..dont mix it into a glass of water
    why?
    dcb

Dunno, it's the same thing.......

Maybe because it doesn't mix worth a sh*t?

~SC~

LeanMeOut is offline Community Veteran
    Why not just use protein shakes a couple meals a day. IMO they are more than enough glutamine.

DAMBIGlsu is offline New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LeanMeOut
    Why not just use protein shakes a couple meals a day. IMO they are more than enough glutamine.
    Unless it has 5g of glutamine per scoop I wouldn't think a protein shake would have enough in it.
    I take 5g pre work out, 5 grams post work out, and 5 grams before bed.

Most whey protein supplements have 3-4g of glutamine in each scoop.....so for 3 meals a day having a 1-2 scoop shake in each one should provide you with plenty of glutamine. I don't see the point in wasting money on glutamine supplements when you can just use whey protein....

fritz2435 is offline Member
    Whey contains glut peptides, not L-glut...

Quote Originally Posted by fritz2435
    Whey contains glut peptides, not L-glut...

True, but honestly I think it does the job just fine. I've used glutamine for a long time, and I have also not used glutamine and continued with my 3 liquid meals a day, and i have gained both ways.

angelxterminator is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DAMBIGlsu
    Unless it has 5g of glutamine per scoop I wouldn't think a protein shake would have enough in it.
    I take 5g pre work out, 5 grams post work out, and 5 grams before bed.
    why would you take it PWO if your already properly practicing your PWO nutrition? That is just a waste of your glut. The peptides in the whey will be more than sufficient in this scenario, and it would serve you better to save this for pre-am cardio, to aid in preventing a catabolic phase, instead of doing nothing in a phase where your body is already in an anabolic state!

Just my opinion, but it is logical!

angelxterminator is offline Senior Member
    Somebody feel free to interject their opinion if anything i said was falsified, but i believe that is based on factual evidence. Oh diet guru, how do you take your glut?

Pre-cardio?

LMO and DCB, how do you use it?

Just want opinions from people who have used it both ways, and seen results. Science is one thing, but results in a lab, and results in your body after years of training sometimes contradict each other!
    Last edited by angelxterminator; 12-17-2004 at 11:43 AM.

jgg1221 is offline Member
    ive heard from 2 different doctors, and read an article in mens health, that taking in more than 10grams of glutamine per day is bad for the brain.

now with that said we can see its quite a general statement... granted that 10grams of glutamine given to someone whose 140lbs 5'5 and not muscular would absorb it much differently than say someone whose 5'5 225lbs and 5% BF...

just something to think about

Kamel407 is offline Junior Member
    Is there scientific proof that glutamine is worthwhile or is it just supplement company hype?

I haven't seen any independent studies out there based on glutamine and its benefits.

Anyone have proven studies or links to non-biased articles?

There are lots of studies on it, yes. I'd encourage a search and to spend some time researching. I'm not going to spend my time doing it because in my field we consider this common knowledge.

A.M. 5 grams, P.M. 5 grams. (Non-training days)

A.M. 5 grams, PWO whey isolate w/glutamine peptides present already) (training days)

~SC~

Kamel407 is offline Junior Member
    I spent some time trying to find non-biased research on glutamine to no avail (about 2 hours of searches) but I will try again today. I'll let you know what comes up. Most of what I've seen comes from Weider Publications.

longhornDr is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kamel407
    Is there scientific proof that glutamine is worthwhile or is it just supplement company hype?

I haven't seen any independent studies out there based on glutamine and its benefits.

Anyone have proven studies or links to non-biased articles?
    There is a growing body of evidence that glutamine has significant benefits in burn patients and other hypermetabolic/extreme catabolic states. I think supplement companies have latched onto this and tried to extrapolate those results to push glutamine. I am not aware of any legitamite studies showing that glutamine is of any benefit to a weight trainer who is already taking realtively massive amounts of protein.

It seems unlikely that supplementing glutamine is going to make any difference when you are already taking in 200-400 grams of protein a day, as most people into bodybuilding are doing now. As someone pointed out above, most whey protein has 3-5 grams per scoop already, in addition to the enourmous surplus of aminos.

My statements only apply to someone not using anabolics. That could change the picture completely.

But just like anything else, if you use it and you think it works for you then there's no reason to change, it probably isn't going to hurt you.

dalcowbag is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by angelxterminator
    Somebody feel free to interject their opinion if anything i said was falsified, but i believe that is based on factual evidence. Oh diet guru, how do you take your glut?

Pre-cardio?

LMO and DCB, how do you use it?

Just want opinions from people who have used it both ways, and seen results. Science is one thing, but results in a lab, and results in your body after years of training sometimes contradict each other!
    5 grams pre cardio, thats it, the rest of my glut comes from my 2 whey meals i have.

dcb

sammycasper is offline Junior Member
    I found this intresting.

Health Science
    Glutamine Wars
    By Kat Ricker

Weight lifters have long considered L-glutamine to be a supplement staple. Sport supplement Companies tout significant claims as to glutamine's benefits - it prevents muscle anabolism, enhances the immune system, enhances glycogen stores, maintains a positive nitrogen balance between meals, elevates growth hormone levels and helps support the immune system. In short, everything a guy looking to build muscle wants.

Yet in the unregulated supplement industry, conflicting information about this amino acid is rampant, and can leave qym-goers confused. Instead of keeping your focus narrowly on the supplement at hand, expand your investigative scope to critically include the studies and sources themselves.

Because glutamine supplementation reaches beyond the bodybuilding world into mainstream - persons suffering from problematic muscle atrophy, reduced immune system efficiency and certian gastronomical disorders, for example - medical researchers continually subject glutamine to study. The trouble with drawing from these studies for muscle building applications is that most of them are not designed to test glutamine supplementation for bodybuilding purposes, with bodybuilding constants and variables, and as bodybuilders use it. Many of these studies use the minimum sports-recommended dosages or less, while trainers use comparatively high dosages. Futhermore, most studies are short-lived, and the effects of glutamine are actualized over longer terms.

Consider just a few findings in the glutamine wars: Reseachers have established that glutamine supplementation may promote nitrogen retention (a positive nitrogen balance) and prevent the loss of muscle protien. But a well publicized study conducted in Iowa and published in the Journal of Sports Science and Medicine (December 2003) blasted glutamine as ineffective for maintaining muscle mass.

The study used 18 college wrestlers, supplementing orally, during a 12-day weight-loss program. The aim of the study was to evaluate glutamine's effect on fat loss; muscle retention was only secondary. It concluded that supplementing wrestlers did not maintain more muscle than wrestlers who took a placebo. For bodybuilding purposes, the study was inappropriate. The study considered subjects only for 12 days, and its aims were inverted. These details are not discussed in mainstream media because bodybuilding concerns are not those of the critical mass.

Glutamine is intresting in that it it considered a nonessential amino acid; however, research indicates that it can become essential when the metabolic demand exceeds the amount available in the body. This situation can easily arise during heavy training programs and strict caloric deficit dieting. Other catabolists include severe injury, trauma and certian diseases. Most naturally occurring glutamine is stored in the muscles, which release it into the blood when necessary. About half of all the glutamine you consume (supplement or in food) is used immediately in the small intestinal tract.

Glutamine is one of the less glamorous ergonomic supplements, as it does nothing to induce a sensation like stimulants, hormone manipulators and mood enhancers can. So if you begin taking glutamine for the first time or increase your dosage, you will not feel any significant change in your muscular strenght during your workouts. Instead, the results are decreased training-induced muscle damage, better recovery between training sessions and the gradual increase of lean mass (along with subsequently increased strenght). The effects of glutamine supplementation are by nature gradual, to be seen long-trem.

until impartial researchers assess the effectiveness of glutamine supplementation in controlled studies targeted specifically for weight trainers, we are forced to rely either on educated judgement calls concerning off-base experiments or specific research conducted by vested parties (such as supplement manufacturers). Bodybuilders also rely on personal experimentation and the opinions of those whom they consider experts in the fitness industry - and one of the best-educated is bodybuilding nutrition guru Dr. Joe Klemczewski.

Klemczewski is an enthusiastic glutamine supplementation advocate. He recommends one tablespoon or powdered glutamine 30 minutes prior to workouts, one tablespoon before bed and, for those dieting, another tablespoon after workouts and cardio sessions. This amounts to 2-5 tablespoons total per day. Typical daily dosages for weight trainers total 15-25 grams.

Glutamine is relatively unstable in solution, so glutamine powders should be consumed immediately after mixing for best results. Unflavored, it has a bitter, chalky taste. Typical liquids for glutamine mixing include water, fruit juice and flavored protein drinks.

Klemczewski adds that althought glutamine is virtually free of contraindications, people with liver or renal failure are recommended to use caution.

nutrovitasub is offline New Member

Glutamine can be converted to glutamic acid, which is both a precursor to the important inhibitory neurotransmitter GABA (gamma amino butyric acid) and an excitatory neurotransmitter in its own right. Athletes on high-protein diets will appreciate the fact that glutamine transports ammonia, the toxic metabolic by-product of protein breakdown, to the liver, where it is converted into less toxic urea and then excreted by the kidneys. Finally, glutamine can convert into alanine, an amino acid that the liver converts into glucose, supplying additional fuel to muscles during a prolonged workout.
    Last edited by ~Admin~; 08-19-2006 at 03:37 PM. Reason: spam

audis4 is offline Eat, Sleep, Lift...Repeat!
    Dude....this post is 2.5 years old. I'm not going to even read

novastepp is offline Have You Picked a Fight Lately?
    but you're going to post?

Thread Information