Anabolics
Search More Than 6,000,000 Posts
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 40 of 81
  1. #1
    dr.shred's Avatar
    dr.shred is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,328

    cheating not necessary

    People think that once they start their diets they can still have a cheat meal. I disagree, it takes at least a month minumum for your body to get used to eating clean. After that Month a cheat is really only necessary once every Four weeks. The best thing to do is to zag your carbs, and have 2 days where you increase carbs that are already in your diet such as, oatmeal or brown rice. Try going a month with absolutely no cheating and I gurantee you will look better than if you were to have one cheat meal a week. Another thing is that a lot of people after having that "one cheat meal" fall off because they get a taste of sugar or whatever they crave and continue their cheating more than one meal. Once you go a substantial amount of time without cheating, it will no longer be a priorioty and you will be happy never cheating and you will look leaner than ever. I do believe that one cheat a month is enough to refire your metabolism and be more beneficial to really drop body fat. I gurantee you will look leaner, but you must go AT LEAST 1 month eating perfect.

    -SHRED

  2. #2
    Kärnfysikern's Avatar
    Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Scotty, beam me up
    Posts
    14,223
    How the h*ll do you manage that? I mean **** I would go nuts. I love the crap food way to much. Everyday when cutting I just think 6days until friday, 5days until friday ect and without that smal goal and the food reward I would not be able to last many weeks into a diet I think.

    I dont try to pretend to myself that the cheat is neccesary(for the metabolism). But I do know that its the reward my mind need. Cause fatty food/candy/potatoe chips is the things I enjoy more then anything(with the exception of sex maby).

    Maby I should try to go 4 weeks without a cheatday sometime. But I think everyday would feel utterly hopeless since I know the reward is so far away.

    Maby its different for competetive bb'ers that have the show as the goal instead of decent summer rippedness

  3. #3
    dr.shred's Avatar
    dr.shred is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,328
    Trust me you can do it. Last year I could never do it. Once you get past the first week, its not as hard as you think. It just gets put out of your mind. Last year I used to always look forward to the weekends to cheat, but now I almost don't want to cheat anymore and not feel like it I'm missing out on any gains in the gym. The first week is the hardest, but you can do it. Its all mental. Once a month is def. needed though. Try it and you will be proud of yourself for doing it and will see more gains.

    -SHRED

  4. #4
    diesel21's Avatar
    diesel21 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    734
    you know what.. i agree.. cycling carbs has been a better method for me... i feel like i loose way too much size the other way.. also, it is extremely tough to just have one cheat meal a week... i'd rather do it every two weeks for me, but this is only when "i have too diet." Otherwise i ten to cheat twice a week or more.. i love eating......

  5. #5
    dr.shred's Avatar
    dr.shred is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,328
    Quote Originally Posted by diesel21
    you know what.. i agree.. cycling carbs has been a better method for me... i feel like i loose way too much size the other way.. also, it is extremely tough to just have one cheat meal a week... i'd rather do it every two weeks for me, but this is only when "i have too diet." Otherwise i ten to cheat twice a week or more.. i love eating......
    i hear ya bro i love eating too....but one cheat meal is usually never enough and usually makes me want more.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    the gym
    Posts
    4,195
    I'm going to have to disagree with you on this one, I generally look more ripped the day or two after the cheat meal. I think it may vary person to person, but when your dieting tight, one bad meal a week isnt going to do **** to hurt your progress.

  7. #7
    Klossus's Avatar
    Klossus is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    nova
    Posts
    209
    Quote Originally Posted by dr.shred
    i hear ya bro i love eating too....but one cheat meal is usually never enough and usually makes me want more.
    this is definitely the case. how do you manage that one cheat meal a month? what would you consider to be moderation?
    i would feel like lisa from the Simpson’s episode, "Lisa has a big butt", where she just falls into a cake and ends up realizing what she is doing and says, "if i stop now i'll still have my dignity", i guess knowing where to draw the line is as equally important.

  8. #8
    LeanMeOut's Avatar
    LeanMeOut is offline Community Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    One up on you
    Posts
    4,446
    Quote Originally Posted by dr.shred
    i hear ya bro i love eating too....but one cheat meal is usually never enough and usually makes me want more.


    Ditto..... but a month is long too. So I do one cheat day per 2 weeks of clean eating. It is a happy balance

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    the gym
    Posts
    4,195
    I highly doubt that any IFBB pro's even go that long before a cheat meal.

  10. #10
    dr.shred's Avatar
    dr.shred is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,328
    Quote Originally Posted by stayinstacked
    I'm going to have to disagree with you on this one, I generally look more ripped the day or two after the cheat meal. I think it may vary person to person, but when your dieting tight, one bad meal a week isnt going to do **** to hurt your progress.
    of course you look leaner the day after everyone does. Its a week after when it hits you. It doesnt kick in over night. In season pro bodybuilders don't cheat AT ALL.

  11. #11
    bigsd67's Avatar
    bigsd67 is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    2,186
    Quote Originally Posted by stayinstacked
    I highly doubt that any IFBB pro's even go that long before a cheat meal.

    yea but they have way too many chemicals in them to compensate for a cheat...

    also i found that after dieting for 3 months (contest) i had really no urge to cheat like i used to. now my cheat day is sticking to clean foods and just not having the burden of counting calories like an anal retentive prick.

  12. #12
    beenie's Avatar
    beenie is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,296
    Quote Originally Posted by dr.shred
    People think that once they start their diets they can still have a cheat meal. I disagree, it takes at least a month minumum for your body to get used to eating clean. After that Month a cheat is really only necessary once every Four weeks. The best thing to do is to zag your carbs, and have 2 days where you increase carbs that are already in your diet such as, oatmeal or brown rice. Try going a month with absolutely no cheating and I gurantee you will look better than if you were to have one cheat meal a week. Another thing is that a lot of people after having that "one cheat meal" fall off because they get a taste of sugar or whatever they crave and continue their cheating more than one meal. Once you go a substantial amount of time without cheating, it will no longer be a priorioty and you will be happy never cheating and you will look leaner than ever. I do believe that one cheat a month is enough to refire your metabolism and be more beneficial to really drop body fat. I gurantee you will look leaner, but you must go AT LEAST 1 month eating perfect.

    -SHRED
    I really agree with you. One cheat meal leads to two, two to three, and before you know it you stop going to the gym and you start parking yer lazy ass in front of the TV and drink Buweiser all night.

    Diets should really be a lifestyle, and if it is that painful that you cannot stick to it, seems to me there is something wrong. I liken cheating to taking two steps forward then one back. Eventually you will get where you are going but you are more likely to sick to the path with three steps forward none back.

  13. #13
    dr.shred's Avatar
    dr.shred is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,328
    Quote Originally Posted by bigsd67
    yea but they have way too many chemicals in them to compensate for a cheat...

    also i found that after dieting for 3 months (contest) i had really no urge to cheat like i used to. now my cheat day is sticking to clean foods and just not having the burden of counting calories like an anal retentive prick.
    I agree once you get to certain point its like you dont really have the urge to cheat anymore. Its more of like wanting to see how far you can really go without it. The gains are much better too and I never have that feeling like I'm throwing away a day of training for a cheat meal. It feels so much better not having to play catch up from the weekend on monday. Thats why gyms are always packed on mondays.

  14. #14
    longhornDr's Avatar
    longhornDr is offline Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Galveston Texas
    Posts
    528
    Quote Originally Posted by dr.shred
    People think that once they start their diets they can still have a cheat meal. I disagree, it takes at least a month minumum for your body to get used to eating clean. After that Month a cheat is really only necessary once every Four weeks. The best thing to do is to zag your carbs, and have 2 days where you increase carbs that are already in your diet such as, oatmeal or brown rice. Try going a month with absolutely no cheating and I gurantee you will look better than if you were to have one cheat meal a week. Another thing is that a lot of people after having that "one cheat meal" fall off because they get a taste of sugar or whatever they crave and continue their cheating more than one meal. Once you go a substantial amount of time without cheating, it will no longer be a priorioty and you will be happy never cheating and you will look leaner than ever. I do believe that one cheat a month is enough to refire your metabolism and be more beneficial to really drop body fat. I gurantee you will look leaner, but you must go AT LEAST 1 month eating perfect.

    -SHRED
    This is nuts. I dont see why anyone that isn't competing would go to this degree of self-denial. I think only one cheat meal a week is ridiculous and overkill, one a month is pathologic.

  15. #15
    taiboxa's Avatar
    taiboxa is offline "Vanity Redefined" ~VET~
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    lol im not telling :D
    Posts
    29,208
    i do only 1 cheat meal a week ... but its usually like 4 or 5 cheese burgers and 2 pecan pies = 11k cals but its still only one meal

  16. #16
    cardiodan's Avatar
    cardiodan is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Ask me
    Posts
    390
    I have never tried doing the one month deal, I don't think I can go through with it.
    I have girlfriends and I go out. I feel good after a cheat and more motivated because bodybuilding, I dont know if for you, is about feeling good about your body, so after a cheat not only am I mentally sane, I know I worked for the cheat, and I dont have to play catchup from the weekend either, because I do smart cheats.
    I dont do 11k calories thats ridiculous. Thats real catching up and youll go in circles.
    A good cheat is something like your favorite clean food twice, or never go beyond 500 calories for me. If at mcd for example, never order regular coke and fries. Just any sandwich, and a diet coke. You feel good man, you worked for the cheat. One month youll be tired as hell. Its the same thing as someone doing 5 am cardio when theyre not even competing. Its senseless if they can fit it at other times in their schedule. In my opinion it is overrated and I can find other people that also think the same. I do cardio after weights, im glycogen depleted.
    I do a 403030, 100g carbs, lots of flax, and low gi carbs except postworkout. Its calculated perfectly. And while I love working out, I also look better the day after I cheat BUT ONLY WHEN IT IS A SMART CHEAT, because you are stimulating your metabolism.
    But im sure you gurus have your obsessions and you know more. So if Im wrong, please correct!

  17. #17
    Kim2884 is offline Female Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    322
    Dr. Shred, I totally agree with you. I used to LOVE cheating. I cheated all day every saturday for my first 2 years of "dieting." But when my bf started his contest diet last year, I didn't have someone to cheat with anymore, so I didn't want to do it as much...now, it's been about 8 months since i've had a real cheat meal. The only "cheat" i have now is maybe a glass of wine or diet coke and rum once every week or two. And I don't feel deprived! I don't want the other crap anymore. I don't even remember what it tastes like, and I don't think it's worth it. I think after not eating certain foods for a long time, you lose the associations of pleasure tied to them, and no longer crave them. To me, THAT is freedom. Craving something and denying yourself 6 days out of 7 is self-torture. Never craving it to begin with and being satisfied with healthy foods is a much better option...for me at least.

  18. #18
    SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    25,778
    Quote Originally Posted by longhornDr
    This is nuts. I dont see why anyone that isn't competing would go to this degree of self-denial. I think only one cheat meal a week is ridiculous and overkill, one a month is pathologic.
    I agree w/you.

    As well, it's dependent on the person, his/her actual physique, goals, and most important of all, the actual protocol being followed. Extremely strict programs require much more attention.

    ~SC~

  19. #19
    chinups Guest
    I was waiting for swole. So what side of the fence you on swole?? Should someone cheat, I know you kinda answered but if you had a gun and someone said cheat or no cheat what is it YES OR NO?

  20. #20
    SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    25,778
    There is no "1" answer really.

    I cheat weekly, works for me.

    ~SC~

  21. #21
    chinups Guest
    1 day or 1 meal? I have always learned that cheating is healthy and good, or course not to extreme

  22. #22
    HOLLYWOOD's Avatar
    HOLLYWOOD is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,960
    Quote Originally Posted by SwoleCat
    There is no "1" answer really.

    I cheat weekly, works for me.

    ~SC~

    1 cheat meal or full cheat day???

  23. #23
    SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    25,778
    Usually a big cheat meal, then something smaller later that day as a cheat snack.

    Example:

    Jack in the Box for the main grub. Later on that day, maybe popcorn while watching a movie, or a few cookies, or some ice cream or something. *Maybe pasta cuz I can eat lbs. of that sh*t*

    ~SC~

  24. #24
    Kärnfysikern's Avatar
    Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Scotty, beam me up
    Posts
    14,223
    I dont think I would even like to lose the urge to cheat to be honest. I mean there is realy nothing I enjoy more then just watching a good movie with some good friends, maby take some hits from the bong and eat potatoe chips, pizza,candy, burgers, fries ect. The cheat foods are like my favorite hobby. It sounds nuts but eating is one of the most entertaining things I know.

    I love to torture myself when cutting because I know the cheatday food is gonna taste so sweet after a week of abstinence. I can go for several days and plan what Im gonna eat on friday. On thursdays I buy everything I want to eat and usualy bake or prepare something I can eat right away when I wake upp on friday, I just love to stand there and make something delicious, enjoy the smell and think "**** tomorrow Im gonna enjoy the taste of this son of a bitch and Im gonna love it". Its like a holy ritual that is the highlight of my weeks. It makes all the struggle worth it. For me every cardio session, every hour spent hungry, every sleepless night because of carb cravings is just so I can enjoy my cheat days with a clean couciense. The fact that Im getting into shape isnt enough motivation, since that goal is in a semi distant future while the cheatday is never more then a week away.

    Thats my take on cheats. If I where to compete though then I would have the competition as a goal and would probably be able to drop cheating atleast for the last 6 weeks or so.

  25. #25
    chinups Guest
    Life with not cheats=a ripped miserable guy. I see too many cats die early and too many lives end short for me not to appreciate one of the finer things in life which is eating. Now if I competed then a different story. Cheating once a month sounds like a boring life to me but then again like everyone says to each there own. Cutting drinking out and maybe doing once a month is accomplishment alone

  26. #26
    Kärnfysikern's Avatar
    Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Scotty, beam me up
    Posts
    14,223
    **** swole your loking like a freaking tank in that picture gives me a new perspective on the mass you are carrying around

  27. #27
    IronFreakX's Avatar
    IronFreakX is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    U.S.A.
    Posts
    8,803
    i wish i coulnt cheat but food choices here are crap and everything is ddep fried made with flour sugar and mixes which are full of s*** and the answer u get if u look for foods without that is wuts ur prob y dont u eat like regular ppl (yeah rite f*** u i dont look like )
    some of u know y i cant supp the last time i tried to make a pro shake was eggwhites blended with water and aspartame f*** sick so im kinda forced to cheat

  28. #28
    IronFreakX's Avatar
    IronFreakX is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    U.S.A.
    Posts
    8,803
    Quote Originally Posted by Kim2884
    Dr. Shred, I totally agree with you. I used to LOVE cheating. I cheated all day every saturday for my first 2 years of "dieting." But when my bf started his contest diet last year, I didn't have someone to cheat with anymore, so I didn't want to do it as much...now, it's been about 8 months since i've had a real cheat meal. The only "cheat" i have now is maybe a glass of wine or diet coke and rum once every week or two. And I don't feel deprived! I don't want the other crap anymore. I don't even remember what it tastes like, and I don't think it's worth it. I think after not eating certain foods for a long time, you lose the associations of pleasure tied to them, and no longer crave them. To me, THAT is freedom. Craving something and denying yourself 6 days out of 7 is self-torture. Never craving it to begin with and being satisfied with healthy foods is a much better option...for me at least.
    gr8 post

  29. #29
    SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    25,778
    Quote Originally Posted by johan
    **** swole your loking like a freaking tank in that picture gives me a new perspective on the mass you are carrying around
    Thanks bro, I'm tryin'!



    ~SC~

  30. #30
    SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    25,778
    Quote Originally Posted by johan
    I dont think I would even like to lose the urge to cheat to be honest. I mean there is realy nothing I enjoy more then just watching a good movie with some good friends, maby take some hits from the bong and eat potatoe chips, pizza,candy, burgers, fries ect. The cheat foods are like my favorite hobby. It sounds nuts but eating is one of the most entertaining things I know.
    D*mn right!

    ~SC~

  31. #31
    HOLLYWOOD's Avatar
    HOLLYWOOD is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,960
    Quote Originally Posted by SwoleCat
    Thanks bro, I'm tryin'!



    ~SC~

    i agree dude, whats your shoulder routine look like??? mine are lagging!

  32. #32
    SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    25,778
    3 sets of lateral side raises, 12-15 rep range, done after my chest work.

    Nothing more.

    ~SC~

  33. #33
    IronFreakX's Avatar
    IronFreakX is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    U.S.A.
    Posts
    8,803
    Quote Originally Posted by SwoleCat
    3 sets of lateral side raises, 12-15 rep range, done after my chest work.

    Nothing more.

    ~SC~
    no shoulder day ?
    btw wuts ur wokout like/routine?

  34. #34
    SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    25,778
    I do shoulders w/chest and tri's.

    My shoulders are a natural bodypart that need literally no stimulation to stay as they are. To make them bigger now would only make them too big for my arms/chest/rest of me.

    ~SC~

  35. #35
    chinups Guest
    No shoulder press?? Interesting!!

  36. #36
    SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    25,778
    Once in a while I might, like once per month. Even so it's only 3 sets of like 8-10.

    ~SC~

  37. #37
    chinups Guest
    I love shoulders and love to do them, one of my strongest body parts. I may miss them too much but I do love to do them with chest and triceps.

  38. #38
    SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    25,778
    LOL, it's the opposite for me. I hate doing them because they tend to ache to much if over-worked w/the chest and I find it boring!

    ~SC~

  39. #39
    chinups Guest
    I hate you!!!!




    haha-Jacked shoulders with little effort..but then again I just started my routines again after a long time slacking!!! 100's for incline yesterday.........watch out boys IMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM BACK!!

  40. #40
    bad_man's Avatar
    bad_man is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    What's a rusty trombone?
    Posts
    2,540
    Since this thread is completely hijacked anyway...

    Swole, I thought you did triceps on your chest days. Do you do shoulders on top of that as well?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •