SHRED is offline Senior Member

Question On My Off Day - Pro/Carb?

I do cardio 6-7 days/wk in the morning on empty. My workout is a 4 day split 2 on 1 off.

My diet below is for my on (weight training/cardio days). So - my question is, on my off days (meaning no weight training). When should I consume my pro/carb meals and how many should I consume?

I still do cardio in the morning on empty pretty much everyday until I get my BF down. I have heard that it is better to consume a pro/fat meal after my am cardio (approx 1hr after) but when should the pro/carb meal come in through my off day? Sorry for the long post.

My stats:
    5'9 1/2
    199lbs
    approx 19% bodyfat
    26 years old - male

My diet:
    6:00 a.m. - 7:00 a.m. cardio (6 days per week)

8:00 a.m. - Meal 1: 8-12 egg whites, 1 tbsp flax oil
    10:30 a.m.- Meal 2: 1 1/2 can tuna, 1 tsp flax oil
    1:00 p.m. - Meal 3: 1 large grilled or baked chicken breast, greenveggies, 1/4 cup chopped almonds
    4:00 p.m. - Meal 4: 1 large grilled or baked chicken breast, greenveggies, 1tsp flax oil

5:30 p.m. - 6:30 p.m. - weight training
    (2 days on - 1 day off)

6:45 p.m. Meal 5 - PWO 40g whey, 60g dextrose
    8:30 p.m. Meal 6 - PPWO Lean steak or chicken breast w/ 1 yam or 1 cup brown rice
    11:00 p.m Meal 7 - 40g whey, 1 tbsp flax oil
    11:30 Bed

This adds up to approx:
    2020 kcal , 64g fat , 104g carbs, 252g protein

LeanMeOut is offline Community Veteran
    Diet doesn't look too bad.

If you want to consume your carbs on the cardio day, wait 45 minutes after you do cardio in the morning then consume it. Or have it for meal 2 or 3, just make sure it is a low GI carb and you don't consume it too close to bed time.

Quote Originally Posted by LeanMeOut
    Diet doesn't look too bad.

If you want to consume your carbs on the cardio day, wait 45 minutes after you do cardio in the morning then consume it. Or have it for meal 2 or 3, just make sure it is a low GI carb and you don't consume it too close to bed time.
    Thanks man. Would you suggest that I do not have a pro/carb meal on my "just cardio" day and instead have all pro/fat meals?

LeanMeOut is offline Community Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Buff_Daddy
    Thanks man. Would you suggest that I do not have a pro/carb meal on my "just cardio" day and instead have all pro/fat meals?

You can do it that way if you wish, but I always have atleast 1 carb meal a day. I hate eating pro/fat meals all day long, but it really is a personal prefference. I know people on the boards here who don't have any carbs on off days, and they prefer it. But like I said it is really an individual thing. It won't hurt you to have carbs on your off day so long as they are placed correctly.

fitnessguy is offline Anabolic Member
    I eat all pro/fat about twice a week, usually on just cardio days or off days.
    If you do wanna eat some carbs, i would suggest eating them for meal 1 and cut them the rest of the day. for the diet you have posted, i would throw some greenveggies in with meal 6 and take them out of meal 3. Even though it's not a big amount, i still don't mix my veggies and fats. Just my preference though.

Quote Originally Posted by fitnessguy
    I eat all pro/fat about twice a week, usually on just cardio days or off days.
    If you do wanna eat some carbs, i would suggest eating them for meal 1 and cut them the rest of the day. for the diet you have posted, i would throw some greenveggies in with meal 6 and take them out of meal 3. Even though it's not a big amount, i still don't mix my veggies and fats. Just my preference though.
    Yes I was wondering about that myself - I am glad you brought it up. I was just under the impression that veggies/salad doesn't really contribute carbs to the diet.

I thought it was ok to eat them with whatever at any amount. I guess i was worng. Im going to try what you suggest - thank you.

bigsd67 is offline Anabolic Member
    green veggies are mostly fiber...i dont think the small amounts of carbs are going to be stored as fat in a pro/fat meal.

taiboxa is offline "Vanity Redefined" ~VET~
    Quote Originally Posted by bigsd67
    green veggies are mostly fiber...i dont think the small amounts of carbs are going to be stored as fat in a pro/fat meal.
    True and the addtional fiber is going to aid in slowing down protein absorbtiona and any flux in blood sugar lvls due to additional carbs...

fitnessguy is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigsd67
    yes true, most green veggies are fiberous and have miniscule amnts of carbs. Some veggies are a little high on the GI, as long as you know the right ones to eat. I feel that when i get to below 8% bf, it's harder to loose the extra fat so i play it strict until cheat days. JMO though

Thread Information