LaRoche is offline Junior Member

Ammonia smell during am cardio

During empty stomach am cardio, I have been sweating an ammonia-like smell. I read that I may be using amino acids (muscle) as fuel, and at this time I am in a "negative nitrogen balance" or in a catabolic state.
    I've read about two options and I'm wondering which is better for muscle retention and fat loss: 1. Take glutamine prior to cardio, or 2. eat some carbs prior to cardio for fuel.

4U2NV is offline Associate Member
    eating carbs prior to cardio defeats the idea behind am cardio. Glutamine maybe not a bad idea, but not sure.

alphaman is offline Member
    #1 choice for sure.

Ammonia smell? WTF!!!?

Ammonia smell? WTF!!!?[/QUOTE]

Yes, here is an article I found out about the subject. I can compare the ammonia smell to being kind-of like windex or any window-cleaning agent. Yup, weird.
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/ammonia.htm
    The article is confusing though because I want to be burning fat, not carbs during am cardio.
    I'm going to try out glutamine.

big'r is offline Junior Member
    Yes, you are using protein in your muscle for fuel.
    I take it you are on a cutting diet.
    Exercise increases protein degradation, and cutting will increase it even more. Your are using more essential amino's for fuel, and taking glutamine is not going to help you here.
    I would definitely suggest taking whey and/or BCAA's prior to cardio since they refuel the essential amino's you "eat up" during cardio.

But if your not on a cutting diet, most probably you are not eating enough. I always had this when i was young (and wondered why i never grew).

Thanks big'r. Yes, I'm on a cutting diet. I've lowered my cals and I'm eating protein/fat meals except for PWO and PPWO. I'll try taking whey protein before cardio and see if that helps. But I did end up getting some glutamine today so I'll see what that does - I definately don't want to be eating up my muscle as fuel. BTW, my cardio is in the 65-75% HR range for about 45 - 60 minutes in the am, about 6 days / wk.

brew035 is offline Associate Member
    I'll try taking whey protein before cardio and see if that helps.<<<<<<<<<<not a good Idea. It defeats the whole purpose. Do a search on cardio.

Im no pro but, cardio in the morning on an empty stomach is the only way to go. Cut the calories some and keep protein up.

About the smell I have no idea.

big'r is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by brew035
    I'll try taking whey protein before cardio and see if that helps.<<<<<<<<<<not a good Idea. It defeats the whole purpose. Do a search on cardio.

Im no pro but, cardio in the morning on an empty stomach is the only way to go. Cut the calories some and keep protein up.

About the smell I have no idea.
    Sorry bro, but whey before cardio does NOT decrease fat oxidation during cardio.
    And it definitely WILL protect muscle while doing cardio in a cut.

bor
    bor is offline D-bol Poppin'
    Quote Originally Posted by big'r
    SO will a Big mac but you wont be burning as much fat as you would if you didn't take the whey prior to cardio.

Use glutamine or aas to preserve muscle mass...

brew035 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bor
    SO will a Big mac but you wont be burning as much fat as you would if you didn't take the whey prior to cardio.

Use glutamine or aas to preserve muscle mass...
    YEP

niXon)( is offline Member
    Sorry bro, but whey before cardio does NOT decrease fat oxidation during cardio.

What protects your muscle during AM cardio is your prior days diet, if you ate when/what/how much you were supposed to you will be fine, and not lose muscle.

For the bold, it may not decrease it much, but it still does because there is the whey you just drank in your stomach that needs to be burned/ digested before you start burning fat. there's no reason to consume whey before cardio for the reason I said above.

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Actually, you're quite wrong.

~SC~

Thread Information