tiger909 is offline Senior Member

substitute for dextrose

got no dextrose for 2 weeks. im out and havent got the money till nov. 18(student who works) what can i substitute for it....honey, milk?...also for clen , before am cardio or after? i if before, do i still aim for 65% hr, since my hr is already elevated.
    how this look....

pwo
    oats
    4 eggs/shake(depends on time)

plus hows milk for pwo carbs?

24labor is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tiger909
    got no dextrose for 2 weeks. im out and havent got the money till nov. 18(student who works) what can i substitute for it....honey, milk?...also for clen , before am cardio or after? i if before, do i still aim for 65% hr, since my hr is already elevated.
    how this look....

pwo
    oats
    4 eggs/shake(depends on time)

plus hows milk for pwo carbs?
    For pwo I'd say stick with fast acting carbs to spike the insulin levels. If you don't have any dex you could use sugar. I'd suggest a soda but it has high fructose corn syrup in it which is not the best stuff, but some do have a coke for PWO. Fruits are debatable b/c of the fiber they have in them which slows protein digestion, but they have a lot of sugar in them so thats your call.

lucabratzi is offline Anabolic Member
    i'd go with honey...

tiger909 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lucabratzi
    i'd go with honey...
    how much?

24labor is offline Anabolic Member
    I use to use fruit juice like grape before I got into the dex scene

IronFreakX is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by tiger909
    how much?
    2:1 ratio of carbsro dependin on ur weight and total food intake

honey is about 32 on the GI scale...even lower than oats I think....which aint a big deal....medium-high gi are both fine so is low...but im not a fan nemore

I would avoid the soda cuz of the protein absoprtion rates

Austex is offline Member
    Frozen juice concentrate works well also. Using 80 grams of fast-acting carbs from honey is a little overwhelming.

G-Force is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 24labor
    For pwo I'd say stick with fast acting carbs to spike the insulin levels. If you don't have any dex you could use sugar. I'd suggest a soda but it has high fructose corn syrup in it which is not the best stuff, but some do have a coke for PWO. Fruits are debatable b/c of the fiber they have in them which slows protein digestion, but they have a lot of sugar in them so thats your call.

why on earth would you advise to use sugar

sugar is never good at any time of the day and it wont replenish lost glycogen

also fruits contain glucose as well as fructose - some more than others so there is nothing wrong with fruit PWO

you dont need to spike your insulin levels pwo anyway, you can use low gi carbs just as effectively without the added potential of fat gain

Giantz11 is offline Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Force

also fruits contain glucose as well as fructose - some more than others so there is nothing wrong with fruit PWO

you dont need to spike your insulin levels pwo anyway, you can use low gi carbs just as effectively without the added potential of fat gain
    I agree with some of what you said, but Sugar is just like fruit made up of glucose and fructose a 50/50 split.

TEXAS is offline Junior Member
    smarties " the candy" has a lot of dex fella

steve0 is offline NASM~AFPA~CPT

isnt Dex sugar???

Bigpup101 is offline Senior Member
    don't mean to hijack, but i'm trying to post this and it wont lemm start a new thread...can someone kindly copy and paste this in a new thread for me. i found it intresting..
    so i was reading through Muscular Development and came upon an intrestin article..here it is.........CARBS AND RECOVERY Traditionally, it's been recommended that athletes ingest high GI carbs PWO...b/c the are broken down easily and increase rapidly through the flow of glucose into the bloodstream. This glucose can be converted into glycogen..yada yada yada we all know the song and dance.........A recent study by Dr.Stevenson and coworkers investigated the metabolic response to high gi or low gi meals consumed during recovery from prolonged exercise. Meal were provided 30 mins and two hours following cessation of excerise. The authors concluded "the glycemic index of the carbohydrates consumed during the immediate post-exercise period might not be important as long as sufficient carbs are consumed."

different anyway whats ur feedback?

Quote Originally Posted by Giantz11
    I agree with some of what you said, but Sugar is just like fruit made up of glucose and fructose a 50/50 split.

which part did u agree/disagree with?

Quote Originally Posted by steve0
    isnt Dex sugar???

table sugar is pretty different to dex

Quote Originally Posted by Bigpup101
    don't mean to hijack, but i'm trying to post this and it wont lemm start a new thread...can someone kindly copy and paste this in a new thread for me. i found it intresting..
    so i was reading through Muscular Development and came upon an intrestin article..here it is.........CARBS AND RECOVERY Traditionally, it's been recommended that athletes ingest high GI carbs PWO...b/c the are broken down easily and increase rapidly through the flow of glucose into the bloodstream. This glucose can be converted into glycogen..yada yada yada we all know the song and dance.........A recent study by Dr.Stevenson and coworkers investigated the metabolic response to high gi or low gi meals consumed during recovery from prolonged exercise. Meal were provided 30 mins and two hours following cessation of excerise. The authors concluded "the glycemic index of the carbohydrates consumed during the immediate post-exercise period might not be important as long as sufficient carbs are consumed."

different anyway whats ur feedback?

This is the point I have been trying ot get across all along. Hi Gi carbs are not needed, because there is not one shred of evidence that says that elevated plasma isulin increases portein synthesis, most studies show that protein synthesis peaks at up to 24hr post exercise. Not to mention that there is a period of rapid glycogen synthesis post excerise that does not require insulin , this lasts 60-90 min.

which part did u agree/disagree with?
    The tabel sugar thing thats, all.

Quote Originally Posted by steve0
    isnt Dex sugar???
    Dextrose is corn sugar. It is basically glucose, while Table Sugar is a mix of glucose and fructose.

Quote Originally Posted by Giantz11
    Dextrose is corn sugar. It is basically glucose, while Table Sugar is a mix of glucose and fructose.

so Dex does replish glucose after a weight lifting session ? right ?

Yes.

cool thanks

i wouldnt use it

i dont even use dex anymore for the reasons that giantz stated above

sugar is basically a drug - not a food - it has no nutrition benefits and so is just empty calories

Thread Information