Sfla80 is offline Knowledgeable Member

Lean meat for late night meals?

My last two meals of the day are usually in forms of lean meat. But i actually have only been sticking to 93-7% ground beef. I remmeber awhile back reading up on other lean beef products but i forget the exact ones. I was in the store yesterday and wanted to buy something different but was stuck and didnt want to make a bad choice.

I was looking at flank steak and a top round sirloin. Are these good choices? And what are some others?

baseline_9 is offline The Transformer ~VET~Recognized Staff Winner - $100
    Flank is a good choice

I stick with that mainly

As im now gaining i add 4 x 9oz rib eyes in each week for some added fat and calories, the rest is flank for me

Farbeyondriven is offline Junior Member
    top sirloin is good, flank is probley too tough and not what your looking for anyway. I limit myself to one red meat per day, because of high sat. fat. usually 2nd to last meal as a treat. 4.6 oz of top sirloin is around 7.2 of fat, dont have the figure handy on how much of that is sat fat. probley not real helpful but thats what i do.

Farbeyondriven is offline Junior Member
    top sirloin is good, flank is probley too tough and not what your looking for anyway. I limit myself to one red meat per day, because of high sat. fat. usually 2nd to last meal as a treat. 4.6 oz of top sirloin is around 7.2 of fat, dont have the figure handy on how much of that is sat fat. probley not real helpful but thats what i do.

D7M
    D7M is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer (RETIRED)
    Blog Entries
    London broil is another good option, and pretty cheap too.

Yeah im a chef, and i know most of these steaks are going to be tough anyways. But im thinking a good marinade and maybe some tenderizing will work. Plus the george foreman bar-b-que is perfect for it. ( if you have tried this thing, go out and buy one, food comes out perfect and i can cook about 6..6oz chixken breast 2-3 sweet pot and two or 3 lean burgers at the same time on this thing) Just wasnt sure about how lean some of these options are. As a chef the fattier the better flavor really.

London broil is the other one i was thinking of! Baseline, definately surprised to hear ribeye....we have an amazing delmonico at my place...i might just have to throw that in once a week for a pro/fat meal.

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    Quote Originally Posted by Farbeyondriven View Post
    Definitely not true if it's cooked properly. It can actually fall apart in your mouth. It needs to be cooked med-rare at the MOST.

OP - a good marinade i've been using for Flank is - oil (i've been using veggie oil, crappy, I know - but olive oil is too strongly flavored for this marinade IMO), red wine vinegar, soy, worchestershire, minced garlic, salt, pepper. Don't know how good it would be on the Foreman though; i've been grilling mine and it comes out great!

A chili lime marinde is also excellent for flank.

bodybuilder is offline Senior Member
    I prefer Flank over London broil or top sirloin IMO it has a better taste that is if its cooked medium rare.

Gbrice, im going to try that marinade and cook it at work. Sounds great. Thats another thing about the lean ground beef...you cant marinate it, so it definately gets old after awhile

Quote Originally Posted by goode80 View Post
    Gbrice, im going to try that marinade and cook it at work. Sounds great. Thats another thing about the lean ground beef...you cant marinate it, so it definately gets old after awhile
    I'll try and find the exact measurements I was using. It was really good - had that nice Asian flavor! PS - I recommend using low sodium soy - i'm not a huge fan of soy for reasons we'll save for another thread, but also the SUPER high concentration of sodium is alarming. I tried this marinade once with regular soy and actually preferred the low sodium soy over it - the salty taste was WAY too strong.

very cool, its funny though being a chef i do not measure too many rescipes out. Just go by eye and taste. The only thing i measure is my meals so i know how many calories. I just figure a tsp of vinegar or worsh. isnt going to change my daily calorie intake.

Im going to work on a cimmicurri rescipe though that would be easy to make at home, it will go perfect with the flank. As of right now i do a basil and spinach pesto to add to my chicken, steak, and wheat pasta. It is very healthy, flavorful and its a good way to add some healthy fat to a meal.

very cool, its funny though being a chef i do not measure too many rescipes out. Just go by eye and taste. The only thing i measure is my meals so i know how many calories. I just figure a tsp of vinegar or worsh. isnt going to change my daily calorie intake.

Im going to work on a cimmicurri rescipe though that would be easy to make at home, it will go perfect with the flank. As of right now i do a basil and spinach pesto to add to my chicken, steak, and wheat pasta. It is very healthy, flavorful and its a good way to add some healthy fat to a meal.
    Nice bro! I must've missed the chef part the first time around. Although i'm no longer in the field at least professionally, I'm a culinary graduate and love cooking too! Damienm05 is also a chef, and is currently working in the business, so there's at least 3 of us here!

Yea, my main instructor was a pastry chef at the Rainbow Room in NYC for alot of his career (although he also worked as a chef in his career), so he was obviously big on it and I spent 3 months of my schooling strictly focused on baking! So even with my cooking I tend to be a little overly precise... it's actually a hinderance because I'd like to be more free and spontaneous. Anyway, sorry for the hijack - didn't mean to make this a culinary discussion.

I like the basil and spinach pesto, care to share your recipe? Maybe it'll help me with my current chicken problem! =)

Duplicate Post Deleted
    Last edited by gbrice75; 10-28-2010 at 05:42 PM. Reason: Duplicate Post Deleted

I definately will post the pesto and cimmicurri rescpies tomoorw after i go to work and play around with them both. And yeah ive talked to damien a few times. and pastry chefs have to be prescise, or else its not going to work lol.

You are in jersey now? I am leaveing next to pramaus, nj to help open a new resturant there.

I definately will post the pesto and cimmicurri rescpies tomoorw after i go to work and play around with them both. And yeah ive talked to damien a few times. and pastry chefs have to be prescise, or else its not going to work lol.

You are in jersey now? I am leaveing next to pramaus, nj to help open a new resturant there.
    Sweet, thx bro!

Yep, i've lived in Jersey my entire life. Paramus is about an hour and twenty minutes north of me; I used to live more up in North Jersey but moved to the shore area 5 years ago. That's cool as hell, what you're doing there! Good luck with it, keep us posted - I can come eat there!

Best steak house in the country! You definately should try it sometime, just be ready to spend so $ lol

Thread Information