Thread: Carb Breakdown

leelee_69 is offline Junior Member

Question Carb Breakdown

I could use some assistance with carbohydrates. I read that men need carbohydrates to raise insulin levels in order to have enough testosterone , but then I also read that you should taper off your carbohydrates later in the day.

So assuming that’s correct when would be a good time to get my carbs. Should I get them more from fruits or from wheat/vegetables. I find myself getting more fruit servings than wheat servings. I also find myself not consuming enough calories. But I don’t know if I want to consume more from carbs or protein.

Also, since im cutting, I read in the ab book that you want to subtract 500 calories from your BMR (with proper activity level factored in), so do I wanna do that or should I cycle it every 2 weeks? Right now I’m just having trouble figuring out the appropriate number of carbs I want to consume and what kind of foods I should get them from as well as a good system of “tapering” them later in the day. If you can help me balance this out I’ll be set, because I document everything I eat in a notebook and I frankly am not getting enough and like I said I’d like to know what it is I need to crank up, I’m getting somewhere around 140 grams of protein but I know im getting under 300 carbohydrates and something around 20 grams of fat. A good ratio would help.

Thanks in advance!

sooner45 is offline Member
    Hmmmm....good questions...cant wait to see what the bro's say.........

BIG TEXAN is offline Respected Member
    First off, what are your stats?
    Also you can get your carbs in the am from oats and rice, I cut out all carbs after 3pm except from fibrious veggies. Give us your stats and we can go from there.

painintheazz is offline Anabolic Member
    Humm, I have never heard that insulin rises test levels. I can only think that since insulin does control cholesterol numbers and cholesterol makes sex hormons this is the viable path that you are thinking about. If I am wrong please send me a link showing otherwise I would love to learn about this, I have pretty much devoted all my time to insulin study right now. But anyway, I have done very very low carb diets and never really noticed my test or strenght go down that much, granted the rest of my diet is good, esp the healthy fats that also control test levels. So if you are worried about test levels dropping from a low carb diet it will be offset anyway by the fact that you should be increasing your healthy fat intake on a low carb diet to make up for the calorie loss. So all in all nothing to worry about even if slin does control test, which I don't think it does.

Pain

BIG TEXAN is offline Respected Member
    I know fats can raise test levels(So I've read) anyways, I read that when you cut most or all fatty foods from your diet your natural test levels has a slight drop. I don't know the truth behind this.....I'll try and find the article on this.

Thread Information