mockery is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Lean bulk recomp carb cycling!!

hello im pulling my hair out because im coming up with so much math. Trying to set up my carb cycling for a lean bulk.

my figured tdee from LBM is 3000calories rounded up.

i know on my lowest day i should not go below 150 carbs , i want my fat to stay in around 20% and 2x lbm for protein roughly 310-312p

so for me i gather and i could be wrong my low carb day is really my maintenance day , then my moderate days should be + 500 calorie surplus and then my 1 refeed day.. i dont even know how high this should be,.

confused!!

gbrice my man and 405 please help. i start my recomp cycle this week and need to get my ass out of my -900 calorie deficit and start eating!

Blog Entries
    so far for low/maintenance, 316p 285c 65f

moderate (+500 surplus) 310p 380c 75f

refeed day?? (+800) 316p 450c 75f

with out a refeed day this puts me at 23261 weekly calories with a gain of 0.75 lbs a muscle a week. 2 low days and 5 moderate do i want to be closer to 27,000 weekly?
    Last edited by mockery; 07-30-2012 at 10:33 PM.

--->>405<<--- is offline Elite-AR-Hall of Famer
    from what ive read when going from a cut to a bulk (or vice versa but esp going from a cut to a bulk cuz u have all sorts of hormonal changes taking place due to the fact u were in a deficit of cals. this will also help ur body to come back closer to "homeostasis" so ur functioning properly) ur better to run 2 weeks at maintenance cals first.

also if ur doing a carb cycle for a lean bulk i see no need for a refeed. i havent done a lot (or any) research in carb cycle for bulking but a refeed is done mainly for the purpose of restoring lost muscle glycogen which is lost during ur "low/no" carb days. 285g carbs does not qualify.

seems to me ur best bet mite be to set a calorie surplus on ur workout days and then set the non workout days at or slightly below maintenance..

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by --->>405<<--- View Post
    from what ive read when going from a cut to a bulk (or vice versa but esp going from a cut to a bulk cuz u have all sorts of hormonal changes taking place due to the fact u were in a deficit of cals. this will also help ur body to come back closer to "homeostasis" so ur functioning properly) ur better to run 2 weeks at maintenance cals first.

also if ur doing a carb cycle for a lean bulk i see no need for a refeed. i havent done a lot (or any) research in carb cycle for bulking but a refeed is done mainly for the purpose of restoring lost muscle glycogen which is lost during ur "low/no" carb days. 285g carbs does not qualify.

seems to me ur best bet mite be to set a calorie surplus on ur workout days and then set the non workout days at or slightly below maintenance..
    yeah i did a few hours reading last night and this is the similar info i came across. the refeed what was making things hard! but taking that out of the math.. everything makes more sense. Thanks 405

ur welcome dude! its basically cycling cals and carbs in relation to days u lift and days u dont. this is a new philosophy to me and something im noticing a trend with by reliable authors looks logical i suppose i was stuck with the old TDEE which im now getting away from.

now im trying to use BMR and then guesstimate necessary cals based on daily activity.. for example:

BMR = 2100cals
    if i do 45mins worth cardio at 10cals/minute = 450cals
    then lift (i need to look into this but i think 200cals for lifting would be fair) = 200cals

then 2100 (BMR) + 450(cardio) + 200(lifting) = 2750cals. so if i eat 2500 cals this should help me lean out i would think.. its slower but im in no big hurry now anyways... seems logical im waiting to see what GBrice thinks..

Blog Entries
    now im looking at this... 2x LBM for protein. 20% fat ratio always. carbs make up the difference.

Non lifting days. -10% (-295 calories)
    312p
    219c
    59f

Lifting days. +20% (+591 calories)
    312p
    397c
    78f

My bmr is 1906 and tdee is 2954 at moderate activity.

I will be using anabolic if that changes the game a bit. And a heavier then normal stack. i wanna get back to where i was 3 years ago before i took 3 years off from drugs and lifting. Ive cut down from 98kgs to 84.5kgs , about 1 year after i stopped lifting all my gains and body re-comp just starting shifting to fat, my weight stayed high but i did not maintain the muscle. and the next two years lead to becoming fat and losing gains and muscle. Muscle memory for me strength wise bounces back very quickly.

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    I'd eat at maintenance on non training days, and keep training days as you have them now. Yes it's a lean bulk, but a bulk nonetheless. I see no need to aim for a caloric deficit. If you start adding bodyfat, look to readjust calories across the board.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75 View Post
    I'd eat at maintenance on non training days, and keep training days as you have them now. Yes it's a lean bulk, but a bulk nonetheless. I see no need to aim for a caloric deficit. If you start adding bodyfat, look to readjust calories across the board.
    ok will do! and here i thought id have some easy days with not alot of eating haha. cheers mate

Blog Entries
    Ok updated, now im looking at this... 2x LBM for protein. 20% fat ratio always. carbs make up the difference.

Non lifting days. maintenance.
    312p
    279c
    65f

Lifting days. +20% (+591 calories)
    312p
    397c
    78f

Quote Originally Posted by mockery View Post
    ok will do! and here i thought id have some easy days with not alot of eating haha. cheers mate
    id be happy to trade with u. to me eating IS the easy day!

Blog Entries
    once you start fasting you will see what i mean. when its finally time to eat im not even hungry. and fasted work outs are amazing.

i hope ur rite!

Blog Entries
    i hope ur rite!
    the first two weeks suck, tell your wife a head of time what is happening. and explain to her your gonna be a bit grumpy

Blog Entries
    Also if you haven't please read

I think its a great unbiased opinion and view on fasting. Eat stop eat was ok, but it makes you think if i fast i can eat anything i want ... and your handful of PB cap n crunch will become a box.. haha
    Last edited by mockery; 08-01-2012 at 10:18 AM.

Blog Entries
    I try and not read bbdotcom threads when i do google searches. but seems a lot of the meat heads there think carb cycling is stupid for bulking.

i dunno... im looking to do a big body change over the course of a year thou. slow steady gains with minimized fat gain through clean diet and use of anabolic supplements.

I would really still like to use fasting with my bulk. try to fit in 3500 calories into 4 meals with a fat and protein shake before bed = 5 meals.

I try and not read bbdotcom threads when i do google searches. but seems a lot of the meat heads there think carb cycling is stupid for bulking.

i dunno... im looking to do a big body change over the course of a year thou. slow steady gains with minimized fat gain through clean diet and use of anabolic supplements.

I would really still like to use fasting with my bulk. try to fit in 3500 calories into 4 meals with a fat and protein shake before bed = 5 meals.
    purposely never go there or read their stuff!

dela27 is offline New Member
    405!!!

I've read a lot of your stuff man, I mew to this forum and not sure ow to use it properly,reckon you would be able to give me a hand with my diet?

Im trying to lean bulk!

I've gone thought two phases of just bulking and ive went from 58 to 78kg with about 15% bf, just want to lean build now but I feel I'm losing muscle...

Those are your easy days?!?

id be happy to trade with u. to me eating IS the easy day!
    ^^ this!!

once you start fasting you will see what i mean. when its finally time to eat im not even hungry. and fasted work outs are amazing.
    Wasn't my experience. I mean, I wasn't starving - but I enjoyed every big meal, never felt like a chore to eat, not even close! But you're talking to a guy who used to weight 255lbs so...

the first two weeks suck, tell your wife a head of time what is happening. and explain to her your gonna be a bit grumpy
    Wasn't my experience either, although many people report this. It's sort of going into a quasi-keto state. Similar anyway.

Also if you haven't please read

I think its a great unbiased opinion and view on fasting. Eat stop eat was ok, but it makes you think if i fast i can eat anything i want ... and your handful of PB cap n crunch will become a box.. haha
    I need you to edit out the link brotha, posting links to other sites is against the rules, sorry!

That's because the kiddies over there will 'bulk' with no regard to fat gain. If you want to bulk with minimal fat gain, carb cycling makes all the sense in the world. What's stupid is to sit there stuffing your face day in and day out, even though your activity level varies from day to day.

Quote Originally Posted by bmarshall View Post

I bet I could do it!

Quote Originally Posted by dela27 View Post
    405!!!

I've read a lot of your stuff man, I mew to this forum and not sure ow to use it properly,reckon you would be able to give me a hand with my diet?

Im trying to lean bulk!

I've gone thought two phases of just bulking and ive went from 58 to 78kg with about 15% bf, just want to lean build now but I feel I'm losing muscle...
    Welcome to the board! You need to start your own thread, you'll get a lot more responses that way.
    Last edited by gbrice75; 08-02-2012 at 09:25 AM.

Blog Entries
    Gbrice!

if i do a 24 hour fast on 1 of my 2 days off from resistance training. would that mean i have to have all my days at + calories and would i have to add a re feed day ? or not so much??

i know im over thinking things maybe. but i really wanna work at keeping fat gains while anabolic to a minimum.

and is 20% over maintenance gonna be to much surplus u recon?

Gbrice!

if i do a 24 hour fast on 1 of my 2 days off from resistance training. would that mean i have to have all my days at + calories and would i have to add a re feed day ? or not so much??
    You're primary goal is to add mass, not cut bodyfat, right? If so, I wouldn't suggest a 24 hour fast. All it will really serve to do is restrict calories via not eating 1 day, but you're not looking to restrict calories - you want to be in a hypercaloric state to grow.

Assuming you're eating carbs regularly, there's no need for a refeed. Refeeds are typically associated with keto/low carb diets, the purpose being to fully restore glycogen after a depletion period.

i know im over thinking things maybe.
    This!!

but i really wanna work at keeping fat gains while anabolic to a minimum.
    It's not that hard man, and you definitely don't need to go out of your way to over complicate things. There are many ways to tackle it. Eat a little bit above maintenance on all days, or eat a bit higher above maintenance on training days and AT maintenance on off days. Regardless of how you go about it, you need to monitor your progress and be prepared to make small adjustments here and there until you're dialed in to your 'sweet spot', that being making small gains while maintaining bodyfat.

and is 20% over maintenance gonna be to much surplus u recon?
    Sounds about right, depending on what maintenance is. i.e. if your maintenance is is 2500 calories, 20% is 500 calories which is about the maximum surplus i'd recommend while training naturally. If you're maintenance is 4000 calories, I wouldn't necessarily recommend an 800 calorie surplus.

You've probably seen me say this before, but the body doesn't require much to grow. A small amount of calories over maintenance will usually be enough. More doesn't = better. Your body will use what it can, and the rest will be wasted and/or stored as bodyfat. Obviously not what we want.

Stick with a few hundred calories above maintenance, monitor, adjust, and you will be fine.

Blog Entries
    sorry i just am in love with the carb cycling depletion fast i just did. i wanna live my life like this always. but i wanna add more mass, not much more. im too old for this shit so i wont compete trying to find my sanity and keep my passion for fitness lol. life was easier before i had to eat 4kgs of chicken every 2-3 days. thank god for costco.

im envious of all you guys who eat ground beef or bison every meal. but i need to stick to my total clean diet

^^ what's wrong with beef and bison?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gbrice75 View Post
    ^^ what's wrong with beef and bison?
    most ground beef i can find here is still like 85 /15 so 200 gram portion is still packing like upwards of 10 grams of fat.

Thread Information