BWhitaker is offline Senior Member

My theory on what the body does with calories

Ok, this is sorta my theory. But im not even sure if it isnt already proven or already someone elses theory or even if it has any truth to it at all.

As soon as one ingests food, we begin to digest it. Now when we eat simple sugars the body processes it very quickly and have a larger concentration of these sugars throughout our bodies. When we ingest complex carbs it takes longer to digest and it is a more steady release into our blood stream. Now the body looks at everything instantaneously so the body is always trying to figure out to what to do with the calories. If there is a need to use the sugar for energy then it will burn them for energy, if there is not need at that time then it will store it. That is why ingesting 100 grams of simple carbs vs. 100 grams complex carbs are very different. With the simple sugars, the body will have a lot more at one time because of it being processed faster and that means that after you burn and refill the glycerin stores it will be stored as fat and then you will have no sugar in the blood and feel hungry and lethargic. With the complex carbs, there is a slower processing of the sugar and less of an insulin spike. Therefore instead of having 100gms of sugar in the blood for an hour, it will be spread over 4 hours (im just using the times as an example) This allows you to eat more of these calories without having to worry about fat storage. As far as eating fat with your meals that have carbs it is the same thing. If you have too many "calories" in your blood you will store some as fat and the fat will only add calories to that concentration. If you eat fat with simple sugars you will have even more calories in your blood faster as well as an large increase in insulin which is not good as far as fat storage is considered, and if you eat them with complex carbs it will be a slower release into the blood stream with a smaller increase in insulin.

I know that this is probably confusing since i am sorta typing as i am thinking and i am more than sure that there are many problems with this but i was just wondering what everyones take on this is.

bigsd67 is offline Anabolic Member
    sounds like a decent theory, though 100g of carbs is a bit much for SOME of us...still though i think you are on the right track.

DBarcelo is offline Senior Member
    Some parts go with current theory and some parts are very basic, but true and some parts are kinda out there.

We do start to digest good the moment we put it in our mouth, because some things are absorbed in the mouth, some things are absorbed as it goes down to the stomach, a few things are absorbed in the stomach, but the majority of things are absorbed in the intestines.

You are right about simple sugars and complex carbs.

The body looking into everything instantaniously is partially true. The body (hypothalimus) does monitor everything that's in the blood, but it doesn't monitor anything that's undigested.

The body will always burn carbs first and there is always a use for carbs. The body does use carbs in the functioning of every cell, and are kept in a certain part of the cell for energy. The body however doesn't normally store carbs.

It is true that ingesting 100g of complex carbs is different than ingesting 100g of simple carbs. You will get a lethargy after ingesting high amounts of simple carbs, but that's not because it's been all storted as fat.

The body isn't really concerned with calories per se. The body wants to monitor the amount of carbs and compare that to the bodies activity level. If you are not active and you have a high concentration of carbs, the body will store everything else and keep the carbs in the blood to power the brain and other organs. It will just take a longer time for the body to send the signal for you to eat again (hunger pangs). If you eat low carbs then your body has to rely on volume to send the signal to the body to stop eating, which is why you are instructed to drink like 20 cups of water per day when on a low carb diet. Glycogen is our bodies form of stored energy (sugar), our body doesn't automatically change simple sugar or somplex sugars into our human sugar (glycogen). Our body takes excess nutrients and turns them into glycogen.

homeboybonanza is offline Associate Member
    Sounds about right to me.

lilKimmy2 is offline Female Member
    sounds like you are reitterating something from your exercise physiology class. I wouldn't exactly say that those are new theories by any means. But thats just my opinion

BWhitaker is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lilKimmy2
    sounds like you are reitterating something from your exercise physiology class. I wouldn't exactly say that those are new theories by any means. But thats just my opinion
    I agree. That is why i said that much of it might already by fact. Im just somewhat new to understanding exactly how the body works as far as physiology. I was just trying to see if what i have is correct

Thread Information