KBZ
    KBZ is offline Associate Member

QUICK: Ground Beef: Draining = Cutting the Fat?

Hey we get ground beef from a health food store, but it doesn't say the "leanness" of it.
    Anyways, if I completely drain the grease, and mop it all up with a paper towel 'til it's pretty much dry, is that pretty much cutting out all the fat?
    thanks so much for any help!

Money Boss Hustla is offline Retired Moderator
    I cook it...put the meat in a strainer...rinse it with hot water...rinse the pan out...put the meat back in the pan and further heat it/season it.

KBZ
    KBZ is offline Associate Member
    Hey that's a good idea, I'll do that from now on. So I take it is essentially getting rid of the fat? I mean you can buy a much fattier meat cut, and then have to do a lot more work to get rid of the grease, but you can still get it pretty clean right?
    Thanks!!!

rambo is offline The Lord God
    Also check out the Foreman grill, as it does a great job of leaning out ground beef patties. Straining also does a good job.

longhornDr is offline Member
    If you put it in a strainer and rinse it with hot water and blot it with a paper towel (crumbled), you can reduce 30% fat ground beef to something like 5 grams fat per 4 oz.... which is **** nice considering you can buy 30% fat beef for less than $1.00 lb compared to ~$4.00 for extra lean ground beef.

Makes for extremely cheap high quality low fat protein.

bigsd67 is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by longhornDr
    If you put it in a strainer and rinse it with hot water and blot it with a paper towel (crumbled), you can reduce 30% fat ground beef to something like 5 grams fat per 4 oz.... which is **** nice considering you can buy 30% fat beef for less than $1.00 lb compared to ~$4.00 for extra lean ground beef.

holy sheep sh*t thanks for that info....im gonna do that method to get some extra lean ground beef (which is about 5 bux a pound now)

Spoon is offline 'Lurker at the threshold'

Thats great! i learned something new today! will definetly head to the shop and give it a try.

Spoon

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    True, but don't forget if you buy a really fatty ground beef (30%), and you cook it, then rinse it away w/hot water, blot w/a paper towel, etc., and you are left with the LEAN meat that was part of your original package, but it's only a fraction of what it was when you purchased it. My point, it may be cheaper to purchase, yes, but you are "washing away" a lot of what you purchased, leaving you w/much less of a final product.

So, it may be cheaper than the really lean stuff, but w/the lean stuff you are consuming all of the product, not just some of it after it's washed........so essentially it costs the same if you are talking about obtaining the same amount of LEAN final product. You are just paying more for a leaner version that doesn't have to be washed, but you are receiving more LEAN final product.

~SC~

usualsuspect is offline Anabolic Member
    Last time I checked 12% fat ground meat was less than a $1.00 per/lb. I usually cook it all up in a deep dish skillet, add my spices and sauces, and measure it up as is.

Quote Originally Posted by usualsuspect
    Last time I checked 12% fat ground meat was less than a $1.00 per/lb. I usually cook it all up in a deep dish skillet, add my spices and sauces, and measure it up as is.
    Where do you shop that 88% lean ground beef is less than $1.00/lb? Unless you literally mean ground "meat" which could be god knows what. I haven't seen quality ~90% lean beef for less than $3.50 anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by SwoleCat
    True, but don't forget if you buy a really fatty ground beef (30%), and you cook it, then rinse it away w/hot water, blot w/a paper towel, etc., and you are left with the LEAN meat that was part of your original package, but it's only a fraction of what it was when you purchased it. My point, it may be cheaper to purchase, yes, but you are "washing away" a lot of what you purchased, leaving you w/much less of a final product.

So, it may be cheaper than the really lean stuff, but w/the lean stuff you are consuming all of the product, not just some of it after it's washed........so essentially it costs the same if you are talking about obtaining the same amount of LEAN final product. You are just paying more for a leaner version that doesn't have to be washed, but you are receiving more LEAN final product.

~SC~
    If you're getting a good deal this isn't really true.

For example, where I shop, 91% lean beef is 3.99/lb and 80% lean beef is 1.28/lb.

So, 3.99/.91 = $4.39 per lb of lean meat

vs.

1.28/.8 = $1.60 per lb of lean meat

A substantial savings, which may not be a big deal to some, but can be a huge difference to people on a tight budget.

usualsuspect is offline Anabolic Member
    Where do you shop that 88% lean ground beef is less than $1.00/lb? Unless you literally mean ground "meat" which could be god knows what. I haven't seen quality ~90% lean beef for less than $3.50 anywhere.
    Cotsco Wholesale Club in Newark, Delaware.

hybrid is offline Member
    ****, I wish lean ground beef was that cheap in Chicagoland. No way you see 90% lean or better for less than $3/lb, even on sale.

Thread Information