Possible Infection? -Quad a little warm and hard/swollen from last pinning

My last injection was Sunday afternoon and I had a little more trouble than usual finding a good spot to pin. I've tried the "jab" technique but found the "place an push" just works better for me. I typically use a 22g1 needle but this time, it seemed like no matter where I placed it, it was a little too sensitive before I could even breach. I did managed to insert the needle after the 4th try, but it clearly felt like I was hitting something sensitive deep in the quad, so I pulled it out and tried one more time. When that didn't work, I switched to a 22g1 needle and it went right in without even trying. No pain, no problem.

Fast forward and yesterday afternoon I noticed that the muscle I injected seemed a little more hard than usual, almost like I have a knot, but there's no significant pain or soreness other than a *very slight* tenderness to the touch. I also notice a slight warmness to the area as well, but no discoloration or flushing, so I ignored it. Now today I noticed again, it's still there, a bit hard and a little warm. Is it possible I got the needle dirty from all the poking around and there's some sort of infection? I did make sure to swab the area each time with alcohol. Should I be concerned or do anything about it?
    Last edited by forrest_and_trees; 07-27-2010 at 04:21 PM. Reason: Clarify Post

Matt is offline AR's Hot British Pimp Daddy ~HOF~
    Blog Entries
    I would just keep an eye on it for a few days, remember you just tried to inject yourself in more or less the same spot 5 times, id be amazed if it wasn't sore...
    Do not ask me for a source check.

tubs is offline Associate Member
    it will be fine

Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    I would just keep an eye on it for a few days, remember you just tried to inject yourself in more or less the same spot 5 times, id be amazed if it wasn't sore...
    I have felt sore, a day or so after an injection; but never with a "knot" or feeling warm. That's what had me a little concerned. I just didn't want to wake up with gangrene or something and end up loosing a chunk of my quad or worse.

Thanks for the responses, it makes me feel a little better knowing it's no big deal.
    Last edited by forrest_and_trees; 07-27-2010 at 07:46 PM.

HawaiianPride. is offline AR's Think Tank
    Keep us posted.

Vettester is offline Banned
    22g?? My God, that's got to be incredibly painful. Do you call BP to come cap it after pinning? Seriously, have you tried a 25g?

HawaiianPride. is offline AR's Think Tank
    Quote Originally Posted by vetteman08 View Post
    22g?? My God, that's got to be incredibly painful. Do you call BP to come cap it after pinning? Seriously, have you tried a 25g?
    Either I'm immune to pain, or people are just pansies! Only kidding...

On a serious note, 22-25g feels like a pinch that lasts half a second. I hardly feel a difference in either or. Anything below 22 I'm not game for. Anything above 25 and I'll be sitting there for 30 minutes getting .5 cc's in, ha. I suppose needles don't bother me much.
    Last edited by HawaiianPride.; 07-27-2010 at 08:56 PM.

up2itt2003 is offline Junior Member
    Bro, dont listen to the jesters here.

The potential to abcess is nothing to take lightly. i had one in my right quad. It started as a marble sized knot that seemed warm and grew into a golf ball sized buzz killer that had to be lanced and drained ar the ER. The smell and grossness that came ouf of there was bad, bad, bad. Followed that up with an open wound that drained more niceness from it for 5 days.

Keep a sharp eye on it. It likely will subside but in the event it does not, GO TO THE HOSPITAL!

good luck!

Update: leg still attached, quad in tact. After no improvment as of last Thursday, I called the Doc. He said to keep a warm compress on it and if nothing improved by Monday [today], come in. The compresses must have worked. While things did get a little worse before they got better, no more pain, or warm feeling as of today. It's about half the size it was at it's worse and general swelling surrounding the inflammation has gone down too. All that remains is a quarter-sized lump. I suspect it should dissipate on it's own.

Thanks all for the comments and concern and thanks up2itt2003 for the heads up. Your concerns mirrored my own as I suspected this could have potentially been worse. Sorry to hear you were not so lucky. I guess we can all learn a little something from this; then again I suppose that's why we're all here.

P.S. Man up Vette... =)
    Last edited by forrest_and_trees; 08-02-2010 at 10:14 PM.

Vettester is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by forrest_and_trees View Post
    P.S. Man up Vette... =)
    Nah, I prefer not to get the quarter size lumps, nor do I want any body part resembling something out of Resident Evil. I'll stick with the 25g.

Just giving you a hard time Vette.

Actually, I just went out and picked up some more 25g needles for those, "extra sensitive" days. Still planning on using the 22s though; for the more "manly" days.
    Last edited by forrest_and_trees; 08-03-2010 at 06:58 PM.

Thread Information