Velkar182 is offline Banned

I need advice on grip

I mentioned a couple of times on this forum that my grip is in bad shape. I can deadlift about 150 more pounds with straps than w/o. currently I am focusing on grip twice a week. I do 3-6 sets of double overhand static holds, I do wrist curls and I hold plates with my fingers. The silly gym I go to doesn't have thick bars. I also use grippers sometimes, but how useful are the standard one you get from say Dicks? Any suggestions?

madeincanada is offline New Member
    personally i had a similar problem that has gotten a lot better. one way to get around the thick bar is to get a squatting pad that you use for u traps and put it around the bar, from there place ur hands on the pad around the bar and pick the weighted bar up and hold it for 20 - 30secs. other things that work are the farmers walk (grab some really heavy dumbbells and walk as far as u can before u drop them, keep your arms straight and walk at a normal pace) you can also choke some one lol....

there is another thread called Grip work in here somewhere

bigJJ is offline Member
    Hmmm... choke someone? That might work. I do have a long list of folks that need choking.

Anyhow, I started doing bicep curls and hammer curls using a pinch grip on a plate. Pick up a 5lb or 10lb plate with a pinch grip (thumb on one side and fingers on the other), then do your bicep curls. I superset those with holding onto a 25, 35 or 45lb plate for 30 - 60 seconds (pinch grip as well). Nice burn.

Doc.Sust is offline Retired "hall of famer/elite powerlifter"
    u need the captain of crush gripers. check out www.ironmind.com

powerliftmike is online now ~Elite AR-Hall of Famer~
    captain and crush grippers are awesome I have most of them. If I am doing heavy deadlifting I dont do other grip work tho. Its easy to fatigue and overtrain your forearms since they are such small muscles.

I often avoid bicep barbell curls since they put so much load on my forearm and it becomes inflammed.

Thread Information