Thread: deadlift sucks

wrestler152 is offline Associate Member

deadlift sucks

My deadlift really sucks. I always end up so bent over. I get my butt down and then as soon as i come up i feel like i am going to hit my legs with the bar and i fold over. I have tried sumo but your form has to be right on every time. I might hit one really good lift with sumo or i may never get my groove and bomb out of a meet. Anyone have any advice.

Blown_SC is offline Retired Vet

Squatman51 is offline Senior Member
    keep and arch in your back and stick your chest out and pull back that should solve the problem

Squatman51 is offline Senior Member
    keep your shoulders behind the bar also, this is important.....if your shoulders are over the bar it places alot more stress on the back and makes the weight heavier than it should be

i think maybe my suit is a little too tight. I can't get my ass down. Maybe a looser suit? The guy i am trainning with is trying to get me to grap the bar straight legged then when my head hands and everything is set drop my butt and go. THis helps me stay on my heals a little. however as the weight gets heavier I roll to my toes

how far away from the bar do you stand when you approach the bar. I always put my shins against the bar. My feet are about 2 inches inside the nerling? (Don't know how thats spelled)

Doc.Sust is offline Retired "hall of famer/elite powerlifter"
    shins should touch the bar for the best mechanical advantage. ever try deadlifting in just briefs, or raw??alot of people really don't get that much from the suit to begin with, and if its'f'n up your form that bad, you maay consider throwing it out. i havve trouble in certain suits. might be just that brand. i have trouble doing sumo in a marathon or a titan, but if i throw on a karin denim suit i can pull like a champ. that paticular suit has velcro straps so i can lossen and tighten them as i feel needed, also a huge asset when dealifting. what federation do you compete in?

Velkar182 is offline Banned
    I am assuming yor wrestle at 152 pounds? That's cool, I was a regional qualifier in PA at 152. As for the deadlift, I have never had this sort of problem with the deadlift, but I have seen others who have. I suspect it is a lack of discipline in keep the back arched and I recommend doing conventional deadlifts with increasing weight with adequate form. Depending on when during the lift you fold over, your upper back may be improperly trained. I can tell you that I have seen few great DLer's that are sume style because they have weak upper backs and weak erectors from training with sumo all the time. Sumo stance does a heck of a job in strengthening your lower back and making the distance shorter at a meet. I definitely recommend conventional DL, possibly goodmornings and extra workouts w/ and w/o a suit @ about 50-70% of your max to work on form.

OldPLer is offline Associate Member
    I could tell you what I think about Dling, however, my DL sucks compared to bench and squat. I think they need to eliminate Dling, then I wouldnt be already showered and dressed at the meets watching my competition DL to see if they are going to beat me. So no advice from me on DL. But there are some good DLers here who have good advice.

RJstrong is offline Senior Member
    I agree with Doc on this one... try losing the suit for a while. try mixing it up as best you can between sumo and conventional style. practice that good starting position, drive your heels thru the floor and get those hips back under you... I have had great results lifting off a box (or 100lb plates) rack pulls, under the pin pulls (hit the pin hold for a 3-5 count) using bands and chains to help with bar speed... there are so many angles, just don't quit the deadlift has been my ace in the hole every meet! good luck & lift big.

OldPLer is offline Associate Member
    RJstrong you are one of those people I hate at the meet. I dont talk to the people with big DLs. Ha I really respect DLers because genetically I dont have what I need to pull the big DL. ie: 181 class 640 squat, 550 DL, see what I mean.

RJstrong is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPLer
    RJstrong you are one of those people I hate at the meet. I dont talk to the people with big DLs. Ha I really respect DLers because genetically I dont have what I need to pull the big DL. ie: 181 class 640 squat, 550 DL, see what I mean.
    I understand where your coming from (it's never good enough)... but those look like solid numbers to me... my best in 242's 865 squat & 722 DL... at least yours is within a hundred pounds of one another... I would have to admit I feel like I'm built for the deadlift and it's the one lift I do raw... I just really enjoy training them and finally it's starting to pay off!

Doc.Sust is offline Retired "hall of famer/elite powerlifter"
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPLer
    take those numbers and reverse the squat and deadllift and you have my numbers at 181-198lbs raw. do you use a suit to squat and deadlift in?

Thread Information