Coach 44 is offline Associate Member

Please address polycythemia!

Will someone who is much more knowledgable than me, please address secondary polycythemia? There has to be a thread from someone that has information regarding this topic. Personally, i felt abandoned when this became an issue in my life. Would someone please post a thread that addresses this common part of hrt.
    We're here to learn and become informed of the potential side effects of hrt.
    Please don't dodge this issue, because it makes our site look bad.

Thanks,

coach44

wifor is offline Junior Member
    Coach44,

Looks like we are trailblazing this issue!

wifor is offline Junior Member
    Trailblazing with real life experience....that's the ticket! I will just keep posting my experiences with this as I am probably some freak of nature with unusually high hemoglobin levels!

LewdTenant is offline Respected Member
    What is your EPO level?

Your doctor is probably having you do phlebotomy to lower your Hb and also to put you in a iron deficient state chronically so your Hb production decreases. You probably should stay very hydrated to avoid relative polycythemia, an artificial increase in Hb concentration due to change in fluid status. Not many things cause generalized itching but Polycythemia does due to increase of histamine release stored in proliferating mast cells part of the myeloid stem cell lineage. Clots are possible from the hypercoaguable state caused by high viscosity (high RBC conc.), but I'm unsure of the incidence in Polycythemia patients. Histamine release may cause an increase in gastric secretions. I'm not sure if anti-histamine are given prophylactically or as needed. Gout may be an issue as well. COPD, smoking, high altitude, can all contribute to your condition should be addressed.

I'm not quite sure what your question is as I'm guessing this info was covered by your doctor.
    Last edited by LewdTenant; 09-16-2009 at 05:57 AM.

Thread Information