gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~

Increase or Reduce weight on each set?

95% of everybody i've seen or read about typically uses the 'pyramid' system where they are increasing weight after each set.

I was originally trained to reduce weight after each set (start out at your max for reps) in order to maintain a target rep range (say 8-11 on lighter days, 4-7 on heavier). Obviously if you're increasing weight, you reps are going to diminish.

For the past month I have switched to the pyramid system just to change things up and keep it fresh, but would love to hear your opinions on this.

Critical Mass is offline Senior Member
    Set 1:10 rep warm up(50% 1RM)
    Set 2:6 rep warm up(70% 1RM)
    Set3 : 5-7 rep. 1 work set(85-90% 1RM)-failure.
    Set 4: 5-7 rep. 2 work set(80-85% 1 RM)-1 from failure
    Set 5: 5-7 rep. 3 work set(70% 1 RM)-1 from failure.

You have to reduce the weight if you have a set rep-target.
    Its the first set that counts.

gbrice75 is offline AR's Diet Pimp! ~HOF~
    I guess what i'm looking for here is the positives and negatives of both schools of thought.

Klimax is offline Member
    Imo increasing weights after each set is useful if you don't do a proper warm up and need to get used to higher weights. But this system has a negative: with the first high rep set your slow twitches become exhausted. So you won't stimulate properly the fast ones in the low reps sets, because they need the help of the slow twitches.
    Decreasing weight after each set you'll stimulate first the fast twitches, then the slow ones when the fats twitche are exhausted.

crazypat123 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Klimax View Post
    Imo increasing weights after each set is useful if you don't do a proper warm up and need to get used to higher weights. But this system has a negative: with the first high rep set your slow twitches become exhausted. So you won't stimulate properly the fast ones in the low reps sets, because they need the help of the slow twitches.
    Decreasing weight after each set you'll stimulate first the fast twitches, then the slow ones when the fats twitche are exhausted.
    haha im a newbie but should i warm up before doing benchpress? what kind of warmup could i do?

F4iGuy is offline Senior Member
    You can start with a light warm up of a compound movement (bench) for 12-15 reps. Next do a heavier warm up set of 6-8 reps.

Grieday09 is offline New Member

Increase or Reduce weight on each set

I think this is a tough question to answer. I think both of this factors depends on individuals. I would easily gain weight with in a month and my brother couldnt gain a weight even after doing all sort of things for it.

glover is offline Associate Member
    I do not believe you acheive maximum results by moving up in weight. I do sufficient warm up then go straight to my desired weight. Say I going to do 8 reps then I will use a weight that I can only get 8 and no more. This allows me to use more weight for my 8 reps than I would if I gradually added weight.

Whats more effective 8 reps of 3 sets with 200lbs or 8 reps of 3 sets with 175lbs 185lbs then 195lbs?

Although I do think it is effective to start even higher and reduce weight on ocassion.

zaggahamma is offline Mr. Moderation
    Quote Originally Posted by glover View Post
    I do not believe you acheive maximum results by moving up in weight. I do sufficient warm up then go straight to my desired weight. Say I going to do 8 reps then I will use a weight that I can only get 8 and no more. This allows me to use more weight for my 8 reps than I would if I gradually added weight.

Whats more effective 8 reps of 3 sets with 200lbs or 8 reps of 3 sets with 175lbs 185lbs then 195lbs?

Although I do think it is effective to start even higher and reduce weight on ocassion.
    you mean so that you can maintain the 3 sets of 8 or whatever amount of reps you are attempting? its all about 3 sets of something to absolute fail?

eatrainrest is offline AR's Personal Trainer
    overload training principle is the way to go

only increase the weight once you reach your desired 3 rep goal

example of working 4-6 rep range
    *perform a weight until you get 6 reps then increase until you get 4 again

SIMPLE AS THAT

glover is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jpkman View Post
    you mean so that you can maintain the 3 sets of 8 or whatever amount of reps you are attempting? its all about 3 sets of something to absolute fail?
    Yes, exactly. And sometimes if I really want to go heavy and with intensity that I know I can't repeat then I'll drop weight. this method for me is brutal so I don't do it often.

Thread Information