JohnnyStardust is offline New Member

Sub for upright rows

What's a good excercise to substitute for upright rows? I've been doing upright rows, but I've read around here that they are bad for your shoulders in the long run. The upright rows are really starting to kill my shoulders and wrists, so I was wondering what excercise I should do instead?

Here's my current shoulder day:
    Standing barbell military
    Seated dumbbell press
    Lateral dumbbell raises
    Dumbbell shrugs

Thanks.

DevilsDeity is offline Anabolic Member

nsa
    nsa is offline King of Supplements
    You dont need to substitue anything for upright rows if that is your delt day. I would put in some front dumbell raises to bring up your front delts. And depending on when you do your rear delts you might want to do reverse flyes, unless you do rear delts on your back day.

decadbal is offline Banned
    y do presses 2x... just do the seated.. and i never do upright rows, so why should u..lol i dont know many ppl who do them or swear by em. so just drop em, focus on the lifts you do and maybe try to add a lil more wt...

More Power is offline New Member

Soldier of Misfortune is offline Senior Member
    Upright rows used to hurt my wrists and forearms like an SOB, but after a while of not doing them they dont hurt any more. Your shoulder day looks alot like mine. I always have rear delt flys as well.

znak is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyStardust
    What's a good excercise to substitute for upright rows? I've been doing upright rows, but I've read around here that they are bad for your shoulders in the long run. The upright rows are really starting to kill my shoulders and wrists, so I was wondering what excercise I should do instead?
    Try doing them with lifting straps using a ez-bar. The EZ changes the angle and is easier on the wrists. The straps allow you to isolate the shoulder completely and not worry about the grip.

Bob Balco is offline Banned
    I have had some shoulder problems but still do up right rows. I will do upright rows with light weight and really concentrate. I get a really sick pump. I think its a good exercise even if you only add it in once in a while.

Thread Information