ninthprince22 is offline Associate Member

Workout Questions.. leave me ur comments

hey guys, i just wanna share with you guys the way i workout and how i eat and if you guys can give me any tips that would be great.

im working out to get cut up.. i would do about 15 reps then 12 reps then 10 reps on each excerise.

6 different excersies for my cheast workouts.
    3 different excercises for my quads, 2 for my calves, 3 hamstring
    4 different triceps excersies /4 different biceps excercises
    4 different back excersices/ 3 shoulder/ 2 traps excercises

sunday - chest + 30 minz of running minimum 2 miles
    monday - legs + 30 minz of running minimum 2 miles
    tuesday- biceps/triceps + 30 minz of running minimum 2 miles
    wed- back/shoulder/traps + 30 minz of running minimum 2 miles
    thurs - chest + 30 minz of running minimum 2 miles
    fri - off
    sat - off

i eat a low carb diet.. mainly of tuna salad, salmon, fish, shrimp, meat, chicken (all baked) i dont like to eat fried foods.

i do decent weight but just alot of reps

am i over working my muscles?
    am i working my muscles enough for the week?

tell me what you guys think? or if you have a better workout and diet please share? i was lookin on sum threads and found the other threads real interesting!!! thanks alot

DBarcelo is offline Senior Member
    First of all, things like this are very individual and there is no set rule that works for everyone. Different rep ranges work differently for different people, we can only say what works for us or what we know to work for the average person.

To me, your rep range is very high, which is okay if you want to cut and don't care about muscle loss, or if you do take in plenty of protein, which will help a little with the muslce loss. The only problem is the cardio right after the weight training. The combination you have going is going to be killer on the muscles for the average person. You will get cut and lose a good amount of fat, but you will also be losing a good amount of muscle. You'll be able to tell that you're losing muscle if you find that you're not able to push the same weight from one week to the next.

Doing chest twice per week with six excercises for the chest and then doing cardio right after both chest workouts is going to really kill it I would think. Most guys like a large chest and you would probably shrink up a bit with that rutine. Like I said, it's different from person to person and the only way to tell is to try it for a month, but for the average person, that would just be way overtraining.

Doing legs and then running for half an hour. That's going to be murder on your leg muscles, which tend to need more rest to grow and it's going to be hell on your tendons and knee caps. Don't be surprised if you end up with a limp after doing that one or two times.

If you're a very large person, this could work and the muscle loss would be no big deal at all, but the running would be too stressful. If you're just a little larger than average, then you may want to minimize muscle loss by seperating workouts and cardio.

Mass Quest is offline Associate Member
    you need to be more specific with your diet to get any help ie.macros and calories.here is a link for a cutting diet read this and then post your diet in the diet forum you will get lots of help there.
    UNoffical "How to Cut" thread and sample diet...

Soldier of Misfortune is offline Senior Member
    Im surprised no one caught this one. If you want to cut up, do your cardio in the morning on an empty stomach. This will force the body to use its fat stores as fuel rather than all the food in the stomach. Upon finishing running, eat a protien/fat meal to continue liposys (bodys fat burning). Work out later that afternoon and have a post work out shake w/ dextrose in it. Search for more info on that, youll find alot. Im not too keen on doing bis n tris right after or before shoulders, I find I cant get nearly as quality of a workout cuz which ever one I did the day before is sore and you need all those muscles to work the other. (Lil confusing) I would split them up, perhaps put one of your rest days in the middle of the week. As for the diet, your prolly not eating enough carbs on that atkins crap. Eat high protien, med carbs, low fats. Research the diet forum for more.

CutMeUp is offline Associate Member
    high rep does not correlate to getting cut or definition. i mean if you think about it, you simply have to lose the fat over a muscle for it to show more clearly. I spent several months doing 12-15 rep sets in order to get cut. all i did was lose strength. i came out of it no more defined than when i started and i was weaker. the only way to get cut is to have a sound diet. on top of that cardio is your next best friend. on top of that having muscle is a plus bc your body has to work harder to maintain itself the more muscle you have.

Quote Originally Posted by CutMeUp
    high rep does not correlate to getting cut or definition. i mean if you think about it, you simply have to lose the fat over a muscle for it to show more clearly. I spent several months doing 12-15 rep sets in order to get cut. all i did was lose strength. i came out of it no more defined than when i started and i was weaker. the only way to get cut is to have a sound diet. on top of that cardio is your next best friend. on top of that having muscle is a plus bc your body has to work harder to maintain itself the more muscle you have.
    I've seen people say this a few times here, but you can use weights to get an aeurobic workout. The thing isn't only to do high reps, but to move from excercise to excercise without resting. You should be doing each rep quickly and the rep range would normally be higher than what you stated, it should normally be in the 15-20 range or a little higher. By working out that way, you do tend to lose muscle, but you can get cut up also.

CutMeUp is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DBarcelo
    I've seen people say this a few times here, but you can use weights to get an aeurobic workout. The thing isn't only to do high reps, but to move from excercise to excercise without resting. You should be doing each rep quickly and the rep range would normally be higher than what you stated, it should normally be in the 15-20 range or a little higher. By working out that way, you do tend to lose muscle, but you can get cut up also.
    yea i can agree with that. but then the idea is that you are making it aerobic, not so much that the high rep creates definition.

i guess my point is that you become cut and ripped by having your muscles push out through your skin making them look tight and seeing every crevice of the muscle. so to me it makes sense that one simply needs to lose fat to be cut, not so much emphasis on tailoring your workout to become cut.

chicamahomico is offline Respected Member
    IMO, using weights as a form of aerobic exercise is not the best way to go. To get an aerobic workout I would do something different that builds a skill (boxing, swimming, x-country running) or is enjoyable/social activity to you (like cycling, basketball, etc). Save the weight training for building strength and incresing bodyweight or muscle mass.

Jef-El is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chicamahomico
    IMO, using weights as a form of aerobic exercise is not the best way to go. To get an aerobic workout I would do something different that builds a skill (boxing, swimming, x-country running) or is enjoyable/social activity to you (like cycling, basketball, etc). Save the weight training for building strength and incresing bodyweight or muscle mass.
    Agreed.

Definition=Diet+cardio

You should keep your rep ranges where you normally have them Im assuming 6-8. Your going to need them to help preserve your muscle mass while cutting.

Quote Originally Posted by chicamahomico
    I suggest people do both weights and treadmill. People seem to feel better and it tends to make things go a little quicker.

cokdiesl is offline Junior Member
    The idea behind high reps is tht you are burning more clories doing fifteen reps then you would doing five..but high reps doesnt do anything as far as mking a muscle looked "ripped"

No, high reps in and of itself isn't going to make a muscle look ripped.

Thread Information