Thread: Help with Traps

josh8416 is offline Associate Member

Help with Traps

alright i need some help, i cant get my traps big when im just standing there. like ive been told they are big, but thats when im flexing. i want them to stick up ALOT when im just standing there, so what can i do?? ive been doing shoulders 1 time a week, switched to 2 days a week, and still didnt get any results. ive been working on them for about 6 months really hard, i dont get it!!! i do, db shrugs, 3 set of 10 heavy, and then drop down and go very slow with the 45 plates. then the front and side raises(i think thats what they are called). i usually do about 4 different exercises with 3 set of 8-10 each thing..What is the best, to make them stand up..thanks

Try this exercise..got it from a friend, and i've been doing it for a while now. Not sure what kind of weight you use..but here's what I do. Do barbell shrugs, start off with 135 (its real light, you can do them all day, so just make sure you do like 15, or enough to really get the blood flowing). Then have your partner add 2 more plates (225) shrug them immediately until failure. Then have your partner add 2 more plates (315) and shrug them immediaetly untill failure. Then have your partner take off 2 plates (225 again) and do immediately until failure, and then finally strip off 2 more plates (135 again) and do them until failure. I do the whole thing in a continuous motion, with only 5-10 seconds (the amount of time it takes my parter to add/strip the weight) rest in between each set. Just make sure your really squeezing at the top, don't just swing them up like so many people do.

Hypertrophy is offline Senior Member
    Do cleans next time and tell me how sore your traps become.

bluethunder is offline Anabolic Member
    Deads too.

Iowa is offline Banned
    I would do traps on back day. They're more of a back muscle than a shoulder muscle. Start with heavy deads, maybe do some pulldowns, do some tbar rows, some upright rows, and then some heavy shrugs.

ImmmtheIceman is offline Senior Member
    I superset barbell shrugs with dumbell, then do drop sets. Those kill me

RON
    RON is offline Anabolic Member
    One thing will get those big and that is heavy dead lifts. they have made such a difference for me bro. I alternate rack deads and deads to the floor.

thanks guys for the help, i usually do shoulders/chest together. and i try to do shoulders every 4-5 days. i just want them to stand up, thats what im shooting for..ill do some new methods and surprise them..THANKS

Merlin_TM is offline New Member
    Wide-grip high pulls. Try them and I promise it'll become your new favorite traps exercise.

chicamahomico is offline Respected Member
    Nothing builds traps like lifting heavy weight from the floor. Deadlifts all the way.

Bigpup101 is offline Senior Member
    [QUOTE=Hypertrophy]Do cleans next time and tell me how sore your traps become.[/QUOTE

nicely put...never noticed any soreness or growth from my traps until these were added in

brian11 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypertrophy
    Do cleans next time and tell me how sore your traps become.
    Cleans done properly work traps to the core, but rarely does anyone even do cleans, much less do them properly.

ya yesterday i did, shoulder shrugs, behind the neck press, and upright rows and my shoulders are sore, but i also spent 30 minutes on just them, usually i spend about 15. maybe thats what i need. i want to do dead lifts but im affraid i wont do the right form, i see people do it all the time, but each time different form. should i not do side lifts and front lifts?? i dont know what they are called for sure, but u hold the wieght and lift it straight up. i was reading that this is for shaping and since i have nothing, not to do them just yet??? any input? thanks

Will_1 is offline Associate Member
    Behind the back shrugs heavy.

fitnessguy is offline Anabolic Member
    Along with all of the things listed above, try doing the shrug(preferably with a slightly lighter weight) and holding it at the peak for 15-30 seconds. You can do this excercise supersetted with another shrug, with the row machine, barbell, dumbbell, etc...

ya i dont think im going to superset any shoulder stuff. i usually do chest for about 30 minutes, then go to shoulders for about 20-30 minutes, im going to do shoulders every 4 days now, and hit them hard with heavy wieght, and i will hold for 15 seconds like u said, sounds like that will work great, i cant wait till friday!!!! thanks guys

fritz2435 is offline Member
    Upright rows and dumbbell shrugs work well too

TomDiesel is offline New Member
    I do a lower weight that I can do several reps, not a light weight that its too easy but a lower weight, i do it 30 times for 3 sets and my traps have good peaks to them.

Pork Chop is offline Member
    Use straps.
    Dumbell to the side and stare at your feet. You'll see you get a better range of motion than watching yourself.

Ejuicer is offline Anabolic Member
    Deadlifts, cleans and shrugs using a standing calf machine... you're capable of handling more weight without having to worry about your grip at all.

akiraproject24 is offline Junior Member
    Anyone have a link to what cleans look like?

mass junkie is offline banned
    Quote Originally Posted by akiraproject24
    Anyone have a link to what cleans look like?
    http://www.brianmac.demon.co.uk/pclean.htm

and heavy deads helped add new growth to my traps as well...

akiraproject24 is offline Junior Member
    Sweet, thanks a lot.

Sage is offline Anabolic Member
    my traps r genetically huge, but with deadlifts they explode......i do not even work them....deadlifts aolne is all i need.

nathanw21 is offline Member
    you only spend 30 min on each muscle group and you want them to grow? it takes me anywhere form 30 min to an hour on just deads. first you got to get dedication to the gym then you will see stuff grow. imo

Sir Lifts-a-lot is offline Senior Member
    deads and cleans are great for adding huge mass to my traps. When I was younger I actually got my best gains from upright rows switching from a wide grip to a closer grip.

When doing your shrugs use the heaveiest weight that you can do CORRECTLY. I see a lot of dudes that load the bar up with 4 plates on each side and then do this half-as$ed shrug and it really isn't doing them any good at all. Be sure to really squeze at the top when doing them too.

ya i spend about 45 minutes not just on traps. the next morning i feel it and for abour 2-3 days later. they are a big improvement from last month, im currently do this:

upright rows 4 set 6-8
    behind back barbell shrug 3 set 8
    barbell front shrug 3 set to failure
    front raises 3 set of 8

weightshead is offline Associate Member
    Deadlift
    Power BB Shrug (much more effective than shrug IMO)
    Power Clean

Thread Information