Evaluate Mass Building Program

I am gonna start a bulking phase of lifting in a week (after spring break) and I wanted somebody to evaluate the validity of what I read in another thread. It said that it is best hit it hard for 3 weeks and take one week off with minimal "stretching exercises" no more than a couple of sets per body part once during that rest week.

I am currently 5'11, 162 lbs and am trying to get up to 175 by May (a month and a half). I think I can reach this by eating right (a lot, 1.5 g protein/lb) and working my pencil legs that I too often neglect. Would this routine of 3 on, 1 off be good to achieve the goals I have in mind?

I feel like I have been overtraining, I typically was spending about 2 hours in the gym on days without cardio. I hit each muscle with about 5-6 exercises thinking it was building muscle because I was getting "a good pump" when in reality I was training like somebody would on gear. With this in mind, I feel like this 3 on 1 off would be good.

I do
    Chest/Tris
    Back/bis
    Legs
    shoulders/traps
    off
    off
    *Abs everyday at the end of workout for about 20-30 minutes

bump

EatRite is offline Senior Member
    are you saying that you feel that 5-6 sets per bodypart is too much???

i do 12-15 per bodypart...

my split:
    chest/shoulders/tris...
    12-15 sets chest, 9-12 sets shoulders, 6-9 sets tris
    back/traps/bi's/abs
    12-15 sets lats/back, 6-9 sets traps, 6-9 sets bis, 3-4 sets abs
    legs
    12-15 sets quads, 4 sets hammies, 9 sets calves, 3-4 sets abs

i train 2 days on, 1 off, usually, unless i'm too sore and or tired to workout two days in a row, then i'll take an extra day off, i get into the gym 4-5 times a week for 2 hours and i'm not overtraining...

overtrianing usually goes hand in hand with a poor diet... if you are eating well, you can train harder and longer without overtraining...

i wouldnt do 3 weeks on 1 week off... doesnt make sense to me...

5-6 exercises per body part. I do typically 4 or 3 sets per exercise depending on muscle group. So that is more like 15-24 sets per body part.

EatRite is offline Senior Member
    ohhh... then thats too much... id go 12 sets (3 exercises with 4 sets each or 4 exercises with 3 sets each) max per body part (given your weight)... and have strict controlled form... also, every single set you should have a spotter pushing you past failure....

Chemical King is offline Anabolic Member
    Try this dude, im the same stats as you and im stuck at my weight, well i was till i dun this splti :

day 1 - shoulder/tri
    day 2 - back/traps
    day 3 - off
    day 4 - legs / forarms
    day 5 - chest/biceps
    day 6- off
    day 7 - off

Jantzen4k is offline Anabolic Nittany Lion
    Quote Originally Posted by EcToMoRpHiAn
    I am gonna start a bulking phase of lifting in a week (after spring break) and I wanted somebody to evaluate the validity of what I read in another thread. It said that it is best hit it hard for 3 weeks and take one week off with minimal "stretching exercises" no more than a couple of sets per body part once during that rest week.

I am currently 5'11, 162 lbs and am trying to get up to 175 by May (a month and a half). I think I can reach this by eating right (a lot, 1.5 g protein/lb) and working my pencil legs that I too often neglect. Would this routine of 3 on, 1 off be good to achieve the goals I have in mind?

stats show that its better to go hard for 6-8 weeks then take a week off.

if legs are lagging, start them off on day 1 (or monday)

Thread Information