Anabolics
Search More Than 6,000,000 Posts
Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    HOLLYWOOD's Avatar
    HOLLYWOOD is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,960

    ok here's my revised workout check it out!

    day1- chest
    -incline bench 3x4-6
    -flat db press 3x4-6
    -incline db flyes 3x4-6

    day2- back/traps
    weighted chins 3x4-6
    bent rows 3x4-6
    close t-bar rows 3x4-6
    deads 3x4-6
    smith machine shrugs 3x4-6

    day3 - off

    day4- shoulders
    db press 3x4-6
    upright rows 3x4-6
    seated laterals 3x4-6
    reverse pec-dec 3x4-6

    day5-arms
    straight bar curls 3x4-6
    hammer curls 3x4-6
    skull crushers 3x4-6
    over head dumbell ext. 3x4-6
    pushdowns 3x4-6

    day6- legs
    leg extentions 3x15
    squats - 5x15
    leg press - 3x15
    calf raises - 5x15

    day7-off

    everything is heavy because over the last couple of years ive realized my body responses better to heavier loads, but i do not compromise form for weight, every rep i do is controlled. im going to try swoles leg training so thats why leg exersises are high in reps.

    so what do ya think???

  2. #2
    Hypertrophy's Avatar
    Hypertrophy is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Getting Fat
    Posts
    1,446
    Equate your chest and back volume for balance purposes. Go with 12 sets for both. Also, be careful on those assistance exercises doing only 4-6 reps. They place a tremendous amount of stress upon a single joint, especially lateral raises. The weight is really far from your shoulder joint, creating a tremendous amount of torque/force.
    Other than that, good luck. Everyone will recommend a different split, but I see no major problems with the one you listed. I'd put traps with shoulders. . .

  3. #3
    HOLLYWOOD's Avatar
    HOLLYWOOD is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,960
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypertrophy
    Equate your chest and back volume for balance purposes. Go with 12 sets for both. Also, be careful on those assistance exercises doing only 4-6 reps. They place a tremendous amount of stress upon a single joint, especially lateral raises. The weight is really far from your shoulder joint, creating a tremendous amount of torque/force.
    Other than that, good luck. Everyone will recommend a different split, but I see no major problems with the one you listed. I'd put traps with shoulders. . .
    what kind of other split would be more effective?

  4. #4
    Hypertrophy's Avatar
    Hypertrophy is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Getting Fat
    Posts
    1,446
    Quote Originally Posted by HOLLYWOOD
    what kind of other split would be more effective?
    Who knows, I'm just saying opinions are gonna fly and people are going to recommend different splits as there are thousands. Stick with what you have, if it causes you to be under-recovered, you'll know it, and modify it. It could be perfect for you or. . .

  5. #5
    HOLLYWOOD's Avatar
    HOLLYWOOD is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,960
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypertrophy
    Who knows, I'm just saying opinions are gonna fly and people are going to recommend different splits as there are thousands. Stick with what you have, if it causes you to be under-recovered, you'll know it, and modify it. It could be perfect for you or. . .
    under-recovered? u mean i may be overtraining with this split?

  6. #6
    brew035's Avatar
    brew035 is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    481
    I think it looks perfect.
    What kinda look are you going for with your back? The reason I ask is because you have got weighted chins first and dead second to last.
    THis is my reasoning what ever you do first on any muscle will be what that muscle reacts to the most.
    Also on reps I never do less than 6 unless I,m going for my one rep max.
    On arms I would add one arm preacher curls and insted of pushdowns do french presses.
    on chest rotate between inline flys and cable cross overs.

    THAT IS JMO IT MIGHT NOT WORK FOR YOU BUT IT DOES FOR ME.
    Just set it up untill its fit for you. Only you know your body and what makes it grow. I think its a trail and error kinda deal myself. If it dont work than fix it.

  7. #7
    HOLLYWOOD's Avatar
    HOLLYWOOD is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,960
    Quote Originally Posted by brew035
    I think it looks perfect.
    What kinda look are you going for with your back? The reason I ask is because you have got weighted chins first and dead second to last.
    THis is my reasoning what ever you do first on any muscle will be what that muscle reacts to the most.
    Also on reps I never do less than 6 unless I,m going for my one rep max.
    On arms I would add one arm preacher curls and insted of pushdowns do french presses.
    on chest rotate between inline flys and cable cross overs.

    THAT IS JMO IT MIGHT NOT WORK FOR YOU BUT IT DOES FOR ME.
    Just set it up untill its fit for you. Only you know your body and what makes it grow. I think its a trail and error kinda deal myself. If it dont work than fix it.

    cool thanks man...by the way do you know what hypertrophy means by "under-recovered"... does he mean i wont be able to recover from this split?

  8. #8
    HOLLYWOOD's Avatar
    HOLLYWOOD is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,960
    hyper??? where are ya?

  9. #9
    brew035's Avatar
    brew035 is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    481
    Quote Originally Posted by HOLLYWOOD
    cool thanks man...by the way do you know what hypertrophy means by "under-recovered"... does he mean i wont be able to recover from this split?
    under recovered is not giving your muscles enough time to rest. Over training is well over training your muscles to much.
    He's not saying that you will or not just saying be steady on watching your results.
    If you start to feel lathargic(sp) you might want to switch something up.

  10. #10
    HOLLYWOOD's Avatar
    HOLLYWOOD is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,960
    Quote Originally Posted by brew035
    under recovered is not giving your muscles enough time to rest. Over training is well over training your muscles to much.
    He's not saying that you will or not just saying be steady on watching your results.
    If you start to feel lathargic(sp) you might want to switch something up.

    i know what overtraining and under-recovered means, i just didnt understand where he was coming from since the routineive posted if relatively spaced out and only training 5 days a week... i jsut didnt understand where he was coming form and why he suggested this, stil waitin on ya hyper, im curious as to y would think this??

  11. #11
    Hypertrophy's Avatar
    Hypertrophy is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Getting Fat
    Posts
    1,446
    No man, you won't be overtraining. It was just a way of saying if your workout is not producing optimal results, analyze it and make appropriate modifications.

  12. #12
    HOLLYWOOD's Avatar
    HOLLYWOOD is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,960
    hey hyper what do you have a degree in?

  13. #13
    Hypertrophy's Avatar
    Hypertrophy is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Getting Fat
    Posts
    1,446
    Quote Originally Posted by HOLLYWOOD
    hey hyper what do you have a degree in?
    BS & MS in Exercise Physiology

  14. #14
    HOLLYWOOD's Avatar
    HOLLYWOOD is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,960
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypertrophy
    BS & MS in Exercise Physiology

    ok since you have the knowledge and im curious as to what you've been taught, what would you say is the best rep range, and # of sets per exercise, and also # of exercises is optimal for causing as much hypertrophy as possible???

  15. #15
    Hypertrophy's Avatar
    Hypertrophy is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Getting Fat
    Posts
    1,446
    Quote Originally Posted by HOLLYWOOD
    ok since you have the knowledge and im curious as to what you've been taught, what would you say is the best rep range, and # of sets per exercise, and also # of exercises is optimal for causing as much hypertrophy as possible???
    It's a chronic process, therefore an accumulative effect of training in different rep ranges and sets will produce the best long-term results. With resistance training you have to look at the big picture, just not a piece of it. For long-term hypertrophy, periodizing your routine between hypertrophy phases and strength phases will cause the most growth. The majority of people hyptrophy train, but do not hypertrophy. Why? The answer is simple, they are simply too WEAK. Benching 135, 4 sets of 10 is not going to develop the pecs. Benching 315, 4 sets of 10 will. You will not see well developed muscles (large) on weak people, just not gonna happen. Therefore, the strength phases are more important for long term hypertrophy. These phases will cause you to be stronger, therefore, lifting more total poundage during your workouts, causing the muscle to hypertrophy to accomodate the insane amount of weight you are lifting.
    Periodization is the best long term approach to resistance training!

  16. #16
    HOLLYWOOD's Avatar
    HOLLYWOOD is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,960
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypertrophy
    It's a chronic process, therefore an accumulative effect of training in different rep ranges and sets will produce the best long-term results. With resistance training you have to look at the big picture, just not a piece of it. For long-term hypertrophy, periodizing your routine between hypertrophy phases and strength phases will cause the most growth. The majority of people hyptrophy train, but do not hypertrophy. Why? The answer is simple, they are simply too WEAK. Benching 135, 4 sets of 10 is not going to develop the pecs. Benching 315, 4 sets of 10 will. You will not see well developed muscles (large) on weak people, just not gonna happen. Therefore, the strength phases are more important for long term hypertrophy. These phases will cause you to be stronger, therefore, lifting more total poundage during your workouts, causing the muscle to hypertrophy to accomodate the insane amount of weight you are lifting.
    Periodization is the best long term approach to resistance training!
    which kind, linear or non-linear???

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •