MoneyAddyct is offline Member

Squats/Deadlifts Form

I realize now how important squats and deadlifts are to a workout routine and I've been neglecting them for a while so I want to add them immediately. Can anyone tell me (or point me in the right direction) what the proper form for squats and deadlifts are?

Also, I'm currently doing a 3 day split--Chest/Shoulders/Triceps, Back/Biceps, Legs/Abs, but have been primarily focusing on the chest and back days to build my upper body and not so much on the leg days. (I've been doing workout 1 on Mon, workout 2 on Wed, and then starting over again on Friday.) Would it be feasible to do squats maybe every other chest workout and deadlifts every other back workout or should I really have a leg day and add squats to them (and deadlifts to the back workout) even though I'd prefer not to? THANKS!

MoneyAddyct

SHAOKAHN is offline Member
    I'd say to squat on your leg day and do your deads on back day every week def... Those lifts will build your foundation/core like nothing else, but that goes without saying.

I would change your routine though, doing Chest/Should/Tris is too much in one day in regards to your Triceps...(by the time you get to them they are far too pre-exausted). Give your shoulders/traps their own day... far away from your chest/tri day.

Also if you are really bombing your legs,(like you should), doing anything after would be out of the question???

Maybee try...
    chest/tris
    back/bis
    off/abs
    legs(quads&hams)
    shoulders/traps
    off/abs
    off/calves

or...
    arms(bis&tris)
    legs
    off/abs
    chest
    back
    shoulders/traps
    off/abs

Hmm...the second split you posted looks good to me. Can I do all of the same excersises that I've been doing and just split it differently?

This is what my updated routine is:

BACK/BICEPS/FOREARMS (Mon)
    Barbell Shrugs
    Wide-Grip Cable Pull-Down
    Seated Row
    (Deadlifts)
    Chin-Ups

Barbell Curl
    Hammer Curl (after barbell curls to completely "kill" the muscle)

CHEST/SHOULDERS/TRICEPS (Wed)
    Bench Press
    Incline Bench Press
    Dumbell Flies

Shoulder Press
    Side Lateral Raises
    Bent-Over Lateral Raises

Tricep Cable Pull-Down
    Dips

LEGS/ABS (Fri)
    Calf Raise
    Leg Press
    Leg Extensions
    Leg Curls (sometimes)
    (Squats)

Weighted Ab Crunch or Incline Ab Crunch

THANKS!

Moneyaddyct

chest6 is offline Banned
    its kind of hard to explain form..Learn proper form before you start trying heavy weight..you can really hurt yourself on these two exercises with bad form

Ok, I'll look around on some sites for proper form. And like I asked before, can I do the same excersises and just switch the splits? Is the arms(bis&tris), legs, off/abs, chest, back, shoulders/traps, off/abs split better than the chest/triceps/shoulders, back/biceps, legs/abs split?

xmenWolverine is offline Junior Member
    I would do legs twice in the week. Some advice is good from the guys on this site but remember some of them may be on steroid cycles and so the see results differently to a natural athlete.

tretch187 is offline Associate Member
    Money, I would possibly think about an upper/lower body split. Like Mon/thurs = Upper, Tues/Fri = Lower. To each their own though.

Try this site for form:

http://www.bsu.edu/webapps2/strengthlab/home.htm

chest6 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by xmenWolverine
    I would do legs twice in the week. Some advice is good from the guys on this site but remember some of them may be on steroid cycles and so the see results differently to a natural athlete.
    Not necessarily everyone. I dont take steroids and I train legs once a week. I couldnt do much more, nor can a lot of people if you train legs all out.

Quote Originally Posted by chest6
    Not necessarily everyone. I dont take steroids and I train legs once a week. I couldnt do much more, nor can a lot of people if you train legs all out.
    Err, nevermind.

Hi Chest6,

I didn't say everyone was on a cycle i said some.
    I train legs 3 times a week at the moment and i squat in every leg day, wether its front or back squats. i do reps of 10 at 85-90% of my max at the moment before the power phase begins.
    Doing legs is one of the hardest sessions. And most bodybuilders will admit that. Hence most bodybuilders(not including hardcore bodybuilders here). have huge upper bodies and chicken legs. Legs drain the soul as you put everything into it.

Thug Nasty is offline Associate Member
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/exercises.htm is a good place to start with questions about form of an exersize. It really is important that you have good form with these as they can result in serious injuries if done improperly. Ask questions if you still are unsure.

mwolffey is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chest6

ditto...training legs 2 times a week is like cns overload

Quote Originally Posted by mwolffey

Yah, you are right.... Stuff like the 5x5 routine are idiotic

that may be a bodybuilders attitude towards legs. As an olympian within the sport i do we do legs 2 - 3 times a week. my friends in the weight lifting and power lifting world are on 2 -3 leg workouts a week. Chris hoy and Craig McClean are on legs twice a week(speed cycling). Ben Johnson, linford christie legs twice a week. My friends in speed skating 2-3 leg sessions a week.

Whats wrong with you guys to hard for you or don't have the balls cos its tough to repeat. Then again if you want to look good for the beach once a week is good. However dreams of an olympics takes your mentallity to another level....

chinups Guest
    I would offer these suggestions.

1st ask a trainer in the gym to show you proper technique.
    2nd look on line for proper form
    3rd go light and very light until you master the techniques

after you master them then go as heavy as you can and watch your trunk and upper back grow and grow alot

good advice chinups....

helium3 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xmenWolverine
    Hi Chest6,

I didn't say everyone was on a cycle i said some.
    I train legs 3 times a week at the moment and i squat in every leg day, wether its front or back squats. i do reps of 10 at 85-90% of my max at the moment before the power phase begins.
    Doing legs is one of the hardest sessions. And most bodybuilders will admit that. Hence most bodybuilders(not including hardcore bodybuilders here). have huge upper bodies and chicken legs. Legs drain the soul as you put everything into it.

nothing wrong with that as i train them 3x also.

helium3 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mwolffey

not necessarily so,if you hit them with adjusted volume it can be very productive.
    hitting them full on with a full leg routine more than 1 a week would proberbly be suicide.

instead of doing 12 sets in one day once each week

3x squats
    3x leg press or hamstring ex
    3x leg extensions
    3x calves

i do 12 sets 3x a week

2x squat
    2x leg press
    2x calves

thus not too taxing plus you get the added growth benefits ie increased igf and test levels among others that are elevated over the initial first few days.

BgMc31 is offline Anabolic Member
    I squat 3-4 times a week (front, back, box squats). The squat is the most important excercise for strength athlete. I don't think most bodybuilders share the same sentiment, but most powerlifters, oly lifters, and strongmen, swear by the squat. I wouldn't deadlift more than once every two weeks if you are deadlifting heavy though. Just my .02. BTW I'm a powerlifter/strongman. Oh and the 5x5 routine is the best!!!

Thread Information